The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's why I think Bo will be traded by the TDL.

He is the 'chip' with the most face value.

I'll miss this guy, but hope he gets to go to a winner-or a very competitive team, at the least.

Thing is, after he is gone-what is left?

Nobody else is winning even 50% of their face offs, so the team's possession time will take a hit. And other folks face off percentages are actually likely to go down, as those guys will now be going against other teams top guys.

Goals against will go up.

Goals for will go down.

Imo- if Bo goes- kiss this season good bye- go for the best draft slot they can get. They should likely do that anyway.

14 games in and Canucks have beaten 1 team that is over .500.

Does not bode well, for when they start playing the good teams.

Ps- all possible outcomes laid out above can change-depending on what the return for Bo is.

I see that as multiple draft picks-                     which could be moved to other teams for players.

plus a short term cap dump

and maybe a good, good prospect.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Pbhatti00 said:

Makes sense to trade Bo for a solid young top 4 dman+ , but only if management is ready to tank  this year and somehow we end up with Bedard.  If not, we will be stuck with Miller as 2nd line center - disaster. 

TDL trades are typically for picks/prospects and maybe a cap dump to balance the cap.  It's rare for teams to remove good players from their playing roster at the TDL. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

This makes sense "IF" Bo is willing to budge on his demands. Bo says he is a "Team First " kinda guy but his actions are not speaking that. He is pumping himself up for that big pay day and nothing else. Miller budged and that is the only reason he has a new contract. I am sure they would have did the same for Bo if he worked with them. 

Yeah, that'll be interesting to see unfold. I know Bo wants to get paid, which is fine, and of course he should. But if that's the case, then don't be saying stuff like he wants to win a championship here, he's a team first guy, etc, etc. If you're going to be saying those kinds of things, then you better fulfill it, or else keep it to yourself. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

TDL trades are typically for picks/prospects and maybe a cap dump to balance the cap.  It's rare for teams to remove good players from their playing roster at the TDL. 

Yeah, it's also very possible that we could come away with either a package that is very underwhelming, or Bo walks into free agency and we have nothing to show for it. This management hasn't handled the Bo situation very well. It's downright embarssing. Credit to Horvat for handling it, and continuing to produce. 

3 hours ago, gurn said:

He is the 'chip' with the most face value.

I'll miss this guy, but hope he gets to go to a winner-or a very competitive team, at the least.

Thing is, after he is gone-what is left?

Nobody else is winning even 50% of their face offs, so the team's possession time will take a hit. And other folks face off percentages are actually likely to go down, as those guys will now be going against other teams top guys.

Goals against will go up.

Goals for will go down.

Imo- if Bo goes- kiss this season good bye- go for the best draft slot they can get. They should likely do that anyway.

14 games in and Canucks have beaten 1 team that is over .500.

Does not bode well, for when they start playing the good teams.

Ps- all possible outcomes laid out above can change-depending on what the return for Bo is.

I see that as multiple draft picks-                     which could be moved to other teams for players.

plus a short term cap dump

and maybe a good, good prospect.

I'm expecting a Bo trade at this point, and you know what, I'll root for him wherever he goes. If he leaves I don't see it as  question of loyalty, it's a business too. If management ain't willing to pay that's also a management choice, it's not just on Bo. 

We're immediately worse without him, it's pulling the plug on the season. If not the older part of this core, or at least it should be. Miller doesn't fit the timeline of a rebuild, it's more than likely he doesn't have too many top end years left. It'd be better for him, and us, if we could find him a landing spot with a team that's closer. 

If Bo goes they should be shipping out pricier vets with the exception of maybe OEL and Schenn on D. OEL in part because I don't want to pay to move him. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I know Detroit could REALLY use Horvat.  Their faceoff percentages are atrocious. 

https://octopusthrower.com/2022/10/23/detroit-red-wings-face-off-woes/

I'd go straight after Edvinsson.  Allow Detroit to talk to Bo for an extension beforehand.  A 1-for-1 deal, then start tearing things down from there starting with Boeser, Pearson, etc.

If Detroit is interested and willing to play ball, I would also be pretty happy with a Rasmussen + Wallander return.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Agree, but they don't have to trade him to a playoff team. They shouldn't be trading him for just prospects and picks definitely need to get a top 4 Dman back. There could be some playoff teams that have an abundance of D that would be willing to remove a good Dman with a similar cap hit and age. Pure example, not saying it will happen, but a scenario like Calgary where they have excess D.....guy like Hanifin . 

3 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Keeping Miller over Bo is a mistake and will cost us. Bo and Millers worth are pretty much the same. Bo with goals and face off %  equals millers grit/ hard to play agianst,goal and assists. Keep Bo , it help the whole team in the long run. 

Agree they need to trade one of them and preferably Miller, but I think his value (with his contract) is lower and teams won't give up much. Would be sweet if they can pull off a trade to start fixing the D and somehow finish last in the league and get Bedard or pick in the top 3 - deep draft. We'd come out way ahead in that situation. But knowing the team, it'll never happen. 

4 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Keeping Miller over Bo is a mistake and will cost us. Bo and Millers worth are pretty much the same. Bo with goals and face off %  equals millers grit/ hard to play agianst,goal and assists. Keep Bo , it help the whole team in the long run. 

Bo’s turned into a pretty nice goal scorer but I would be curious if he’d score as much in another situation.  On teams that like to setup the big point shot his bumper role wouldn’t be as relevant.  I mean look at boeser’s drop in production after losing his umbrella spot to Miller.

I think the culture needs a huge shake up in the dressing room and that will stem from the Captain itself onto other leaders in the room. As we know there has been issues with the culture of not playing hard and standing up for each other for full 60mins in the past 4-5yrs now. It is getting stale in there. Since Bo is on his last year, its a perfect time to trade him and have a new fresh Captain to lead the team!! Bo is playing awesome right now so its a perfect time to trade him now so we can get something good in return that will help the team right away. I say we trade the 2 B's!! 

1 minute ago, RolexSub said:

I think the culture needs a huge shake up in the dressing room and that will stem from the Captain itself onto other leaders in the room. As we know there has been issues with the culture of not playing hard and standing up for each other for full 60mins in the past 4-5yrs now. It is getting stale in there. Since Bo is on his last year, its a perfect time to trade him and have a new fresh Captain to lead the team!! Bo is playing awesome right now so its a perfect time to trade him now so we can get something good in return that will help the team right away. I say we trade the 2 B's!! 

What's weird is that the guys all say the room is so tight and love being on a team together, yet we hear rumours of locker room division. Something doesn't fit. If there truly is an issue in the room then management needs to find out who it stems from and deal with it. I think it has been Miller, so trade him before his next deal kicks in. We might just see a resurgence with this team without his prickly personality. 

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, the optics aren't great, I agree. And how can they say that they want to win if they're trading Bo. I get releasing Bruce. He isn't this management's choice. Bo plays a premium position, and he's good at it. He deserves every bit the penny that Miller has gotten, maybe even more with the way he's producing at the moment. If he keeps this up all year, it's going to be tough to keep him. I get the sense that Horvat's not going to give management any sort of discount, which makes it hard to build a competitive team. I don't want Bo to leave, he's one of my favorite Canucks, drafted as a Canuck, I was hoping he's be a lifetime Canuck. But that seems like a far away dream at this moment. This year has been tough as a fan I won't lie. Sometimes I feel and wish for the season to be over with. It's getting pretty depressing hearing the games, and watching them (if I do). 

I'd give Bo his 8 years, at 8M. If he gives us 7.5M, I'd take that, but I doubt it at this stage. 

I'd consider we'd be still a winning team if we made a 1 for 1 trade, Bo for a top young defenceman. Otherwise if Bo is the best player in the trade we're worse off.

I think we can get him for 8 years x 7.5M but we'll have to do some real clearing of cap in the off-season.

Problem is we end up with a couple of mid 30 year olds costing us 15M at some point...

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are already in last place in the league. Any further steps back and we would be in MELMAC. 

I totally agree, but will our owner allow a step back, or what he perceives as a step back?  IMHAO any trades of key core pieces, like Bo, won’t be for futures but rather for already established players who are at their ceiling. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So would I but is that trade taking a step back?

A small step back to re-tool around Petey, Hughes, and Podkolzin. At the moment Rasmussen is definitely a downgrade on Horvat but already looks very close to being a 2C and Wallinder will probably come over to North America next summer.