The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Re Boeser and whichever other player with term the Canucks might be trying to trade - cap space might continue to be tight around the league next season.  

Yuuuuup. I've had this discussion a few times already. Everyone was banking far to heavily on the cap going up. It should have been a nice to have, not something that we were relying on to improve the team.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

It's a similar vibe to them lousy, late 90's teams, & trading away Linden. All we require is one rival GM to get overly excited. Option B might be to take back a mehh, vet contract with 1 or 2 yrs outstanding. Might be the only way we get back commensurate value.

At the end of the day, it'll likely take 1 or 2 seasons to have most toxic contracts expire, anyways.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think management really F'd up re-signing Miller. 

Looking at captain Bo before every home game, he's interactive with the fans, giving pucks away, signing stuff. He learned from the Sedins, how important the fans are.

And if they trade Schenn, well, there goes the toughness and the guy willing do what it takes for the team.

And if Boeser goes as well, I can see Pettersson not re-signing here in 2024. 

What the heck will the team look like if that all happens?

The exact same as now. Everyones beloved players are a major reason for the on ice product. They demanded to be paid way too much for 1 way play. Fans clearly haven't had enough of it and want to keep being locked into the same guys lol. Makes zero sense 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

At worst he’s a 40-50 goal Centre?

look, I’m all for pumping tires here, but let’s not kid ourselves. Horvat will probably top out on average around 30 goals, which is a lot. But it isn’t 40-50 consistently. I like the guy, but his production right now is a distinct outlier. Other teams will not be giving us a return for a 50 goal scorer. 

19 minutes ago, mll said:

He plays bumper on the Canucks' PP where he has 8 of his 20 goals.   Would he even get that role on another team.  

Canucks are also pushing for offence and give up a lot of chances the other way.  It's typically easier to produce if the D-side of the game is forgotten vs playing the right way and being on the right side of the puck.  It really doesn't feel like he will be able to sustain his scoring pace on a more structured team and a different role/setup on the PP.

Time will tell.  If he keeps racking up the shots and maintains a shooting percentage similar to these past 2 to 3 years, he's in 40 goal territory.  That's just based on the numbers.  If his offensive opportunities dry up, then yes, his goal scoring will drop.  Doesn't mean he's not capable of it though.  It simply means another team may value defensive priorities over his offensive ones.

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Yuuuuup. I've had this discussion a few times already. Everyone was banking far to heavily on the cap going up. It should have been a nice to have, not something that we were relying on to improve the team.

Turn out prudent planning is useful.

dozens of folk on here were all ' It's going up big time".

A few were saying " don't count on it till it happens".

$3 mill less than some folk thought- bet their imaginary team is over the coming cap, now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Re Boeser and whichever other player with term the Canucks might be trying to trade - cap space might continue to be tight around the league next season.  

lol at the kids and their 4 million cap rising comments. That's why you don't spend money you don't have. A.k.a JT money bags Miller.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Not surprising.  Figured escrow wouldn't be taken care of til the 2023-24 season.  Which means no big cap increase until 2024-25.

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Turn out prudent planning is useful.

dozens of folk on here were all ' It's going up big time".

A few were saying " don't count on it till it happens".

$3 mill less than some folk thought- bet their imaginary team is over the coming cap, now.

Yup, I remember the conversations and thinking thank gawd you're not in charge of anything important. Obviously zero life experience there.

Like @Shayster007 said that should be viewed as a bonus should it occur not just blowing it before you even have it. It's like getting a 649 ticket and buying a Maserati the same day. Such child like thinking. Compulsive shoppers.

Reminds me of when I was a young adult I used to tell my friends that the universe had a pre-determined amount of money you're supposed to have so I would spend all of mine so I could get more. So funny, really I just wanted an excuse for partying away my cash lol. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I think the leverage is the quality of the player involved here.  At worst Horvat gives a team a 40 to 50 goal centre that can win upwards of 60% of the draws he takes.  He also brings good speed and size to a roster.  He's also found a niche as one of the best bumper guys on the PP in the entire league.  

The leverage is if contender team X doesn't trade for him, contender team Y might and could be a huge difference maker in the playoffs (which Horvat has proven as well in the past).  Pitting teams against one another is the leverage.

Boeser is gonna be a dump of some sort.  There's no leverage there IMO.  The quality of the player isn't there.

Finally, someone talking sense on here.

• Cheers 1

Horvat and Schenn for Carlo, Frederic, 2023 1st, and a late round pick 

Frederic is playing as a bottom 6 checker but if he’s given more of an offensive role he could be a steal. 6’3 tough, mean guy, with offensive upside and solid defensively. Bigger and meaner Kesler type

Edited by Odd.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

OIP.jpg.95b512956a3f258cc7114b02a2e3ffc8.jpg

Trade players now:

They won't get injured and prevent trading later

The team either gets better, with new guys, and makes the play offs

or the team gets worse, for awhile, and misses the playoffs by enough to get a good draft pick.

Do Something.

We’re talking about allvin here 

…..hang tight 

• Cheers 1

More and more young studs are going to hit PPG and ask for 7-9M, but the cap isn't going up to accommodate. 

We have Petey and hitched our wagon to Miller sadly, that's enough guys over 8M (as Petey soon will be). The fringe 5-6M guys like Boeser and Garland are tricky.

I'd rather get rid of Boeser and Garland (11M cap space gone), get some picks out of them, sign Bo for 8.5M if that's what he wants and play a 2.5M winger alongside him instead. We're much better off with Bo and a cheap/young winger than no Bo and two expensive, useless wingers.

49 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

The exact same as now. Everyones beloved players are a major reason for the on ice product. They demanded to be paid way too much for 1 way play. Fans clearly haven't had enough of it and want to keep being locked into the same guys lol. Makes zero sense 

Why is that I wonder? We aren't winning and we aren't making the playoffs why would we want to keep the same group? Everyone keeps looking at individuals stats but no one is looking at the losing culture here. 

We couldn't let go of the Sedin Era and now we can't let go of the Horvat Era. 

I am so ready for the Petey Era to begin TBH.

We talk about building a Culture, we talk about finding our identity but we really are still stuck in the identity of the past, no wonder we are stuck in Neutral right now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

More and more young studs are going to hit PPG and ask for 7-9M, but the cap isn't going up to accommodate. 

We have Petey and hitched our wagon to Miller sadly, that's enough guys over 8M (as Petey soon will be). The fringe 5-6M guys like Boeser and Garland are tricky.

I'd rather get rid of Boeser and Garland (11M cap space gone), get some picks out of them, sign Bo for 8.5M if that's what he wants and play a 2.5M winger alongside him instead. We're much better off with Bo and a cheap/young winger than no Bo and two expensive, useless wingers.

The time to "Tinker" with this group is done. Time to build a team which is built to Win and be able to be successful in the post season, we have won enough Presidents Trophies now, time to move on.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Why is that I wonder? We aren't winning and we aren't making the playoffs why would we want to keep the same group? Everyone keeps looking at individuals stats but no one is looking at the losing culture here. 

We talk about building a Culture, we talk about finding our identity but we really are still stuck in the identity of the past, no wonder we are stuck in Neutral right now.

Pretty much. Horvat looks the other way when he needs to answer the bell on the ice. He has always been a good face off guy and scores goals. But it has not elevated the team so....Petey has more bite, more push back and is clutch.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Pretty much. Horvat looks the other way when he needs to answer the bell on the ice. He has always been a good face off guy and scores goals. But it has not elevated the team so....Petey has more bite, more push back and is clutch.

I think if people were around to see how Linden ran the team they would understand, I think. Many have only seen Hank or some seen Nazzy but Linden was the guy who got it right IMHO. Games were played for a full 60 minutes and checks were finished and no one skated away from a scrum, they stuck together.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It's wild to me. I think it comes down to our fanbase is honestly just soooo dedicated to hockey that many get lost in their emotions towards the players. It doesn't help we have been the worst managed team top to bottom since our cup final. I want to believe we will make the right moves and build around our EP properly but sooo many people begged for a Miller signing and our owner took the bait. How do you fix a culture now with this guy locked up. When he's on his game I love Miller. But let's be honest, His play away from the puck / his horrible lazy give aways will never allow us to fix this culture issue unless he snaps out of whatever he's doing now lol :P

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Petey will be a good captain....but i dont expect him to be answering any bells....is this going to be one of the measures of a captain now?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, rekker said:

The Avs, Rags, seem like a fit for Bo, and have assets we covet. I don't see why JR would pigeon hole himself by only offering BO up as a rental. Unless instructed by Bo and his agent. Maybe a grand scheme to get assets for Bo and then re-sign, lol. One can dream. 

Avs don't really have a lot of assets left. Personally I prefer the 'Canes. Good fit for Horvat behind Aho, and they have a fair amount of solid assets still available (Morrow, Drury, Seeley, Heimosalmi, Gunler, Nikishin...)