The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

20 minutes ago, jyu said:

If Montreal fans can endure a rebuild, so can the Canucks fans.

People constantly harp on the Vancouver fans for not willing to endure a rebuild, I'd say that's a total bs. 

After all, we've totally sucked the last 7 or so years and the building is still nearly full.

If there is one person not willing to do a rebuild, that's the owner. He's afraid that fans won't show up if we suck but I think the fans would still show up. The team is entertaining to watch with some skilled players like Petey, Hughes, Kuz. 

fans can and wanted a rebuild for some time.

it's francesco who has never been able to and will continue to not be able to handle one.

30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Vancouver and San Jose seem to think they can re-tool on the fly.

I don't know what you would call it but Mgmt needs to sell hard this TDL. Keep the youth and dump anyone over 26 yoa that they can. 

Carolina has nine picks in the 2023 draft...crazy the difference between well run teams and poorly run teams (or good ownership and bad ownership)

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Savage. I like it 

It wouldn't be a good message to the team or to future players who come here in my opinion.

Like hey your captain who has done a lot for the city and is a big time family man. Ya we jus uprooted his life right before the holidays. 

HO HO HO Merry Christmas!

2 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Exactly, I don't even need to know if the "locker room rumours" are true or not.  I see enough watching him on the ice to know that he's not captain material.  He's the only guy who stands out to me during the game as being lazy, moody and careless on the ice on a regular basis. 

Love his physical skills and talent, but not a born leader by any means.

Hold up. I was under the impression that Miller watching the other team go on a 2 on 1 resulting from his egregious turnover and yelling “F***!” as loud as possible as he glides to the bench was just solid leadership? Miller is the alpha male this team needs. Am I wrong? He sweats pure testosterone, eats nothing but cured meat, and wakes up every morning with an erection so glorious even King Midas would be envious. What am I missing here?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Hold up. I was under the impression that Miller watching the other team go on a 2 on 1 resulting from his egregious turnover and yelling “F***!” as loud as possible as he glides to the bench was just solid leadership? Miller is the alpha male this team needs. Am I wrong? He sweats pure testosterone, eats nothing but cured meat, and wakes up every morning with an erection so glorious even King Midas would be envious. What am I missing here?

What level reporting did you go through to confirm your story?

6 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

fans can and wanted a rebuild for some time.

it's francesco who has never been able to and will continue to not be able to handle one.

a rebuild likely means less revenue even IF fans are on board. I don’t think that’s necessarily a good reason not to do it, but I think we as fans may not always realize the level of commitment it may take from an ownership group to let that happen. 

‘We can handle a rebuild’ may often be followed by… I’ll just not watch as many games which would be exactly the reason ownership may be hesitant (fair or not). 

1 hour ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Yeah he does.

UFA.  Looking at O'Reilly, Bjustad, Stall, Monahan.  The last 3 should be relatively affordable.  Tank the season and get a top 5 pick C we can develop.

Why would any of those guys want to come to Van?

If Bo goes then management has definitely decided to tank this season and next. I wanted them to sign Miller, but if I knew we would only keep one of them it’s no contest at all, I’d choose Bo every single time and have traded Miller for the highest offer even if it wasn’t as much as they wanted. Offering him 7 is an insult. He’s playing better then Miller and they signed him to $8m per. That should be the bare minimum he’d accept. 50-60 goal scorers are rare and very pricy.

This new group is really starting to lose me. So many mistakes and assumptions that bit them in the ass. Maybe it’ll all work out fine in the end, but it’s a mess so far.

The lack of the cap rising, though expected, is going to put a huge wrinkle in offloading players or getting value.

I was hoping that the league and NHLPA were going to come to an agreement to raise the cap more than $1 million this year so that it didn't jump by a huge number for 2024/25.  There were some talks they were going to try to even it out a little.  The revenue is such that the cap is probably going to go up by $8 million or even more that year, so agreeing to a $4 million raise each year instead lets teams and players plan better.

What it does mean is that trading players with term at the deadline next season is going to be a lot easier once teams have a sense of what the cap will be for the following year.  Unfortunately Horvat will be gone and Miller will have trade protection.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

My money (and hope) is still landing in Van.  I refuse to believe that they see Miller as the better bet

Clearly signing Miller first says management (and our owner) see different.  Miller over the time he’s been here has produced about 30% more points than Bo.  Considering they’re similarly poor defenders that’s why we chose Miller.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If Bo goes then management has definitely decided to tank this season and next. I wanted them to sign Miller, but if I knew we would only keep one of them it’s no contest at all, I’d choose Bo every single time and have traded Miller for the highest offer even if it wasn’t as much as they wanted. Offering him 7 is an insult. He’s playing better then Miller and they signed him to $8m per. That should be the bare minimum he’d accept. 50-60 goal scorers are rare and very pricy.

This new group is really starting to lose me. So many mistakes and assumptions that bit them in the ass. Maybe it’ll all work out fine in the end, but it’s a mess so far.

They’ve spent more time effing around with front office than they have the roster. 

If Bo goes and we’re stuck with JTM and  OEL contracts, it will prove to be Benning level mismanagement 

lol at the Montreal comparisons.  

They just went to a scf 2 years ago. They have Gallagher (5 more years at 6.5). Price (4 more years at 10.5) and Anderson at 5.5 for 5 more years.   They were lucky to offload Weber’s last 4 at nearly 8 mil.

Any one of those contracts would have Canucks fans crapping their pants with rage.  And our young talent > their young talent.  It’s the team play that’s a mess.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

lol at the Montreal comparisons.  

They just went to a scf 2 years ago. They have Gallagher (5 more years at 6.5). Price (4 more years at 10.5) and Anderson at 5.5 for 5 more years.   They were lucky to offload Weber’s last 4 at nearly 8 mil.

Any one of those contracts would have Canucks fans crapping their pants with rage.  And our young talent > their young talent.  It’s the team play that’s a mess.

If our owner is insisting on sideways trades then Garland for Josh Anderson is one I could see.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Love Bo, and I don’t disagree with you as I would keep him over miller everyday of the week.  But, he has scored 30 goals once in his career. In what world is he considered a 50-60 goal scorer? He has never come close to those numbers, regardless of early season pace of scoring

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Rutherford/Alvin: We are going to pretend we are not going to sign Horvat. Like we did with J.T.Miller. So we can play the media. Then we’ll come to an agreement.

Agent: O.K.

That is a silly take, not only is there zero reason or motivation to do that from the team side there is no reason for the agent to agree to put his client into a bad position publicly where he has to be putting out statements and answering questions about it all the time.

They aren’t trying to purposefully create negative drama around the team, that is nonsense.

With Miller it was publicly stated by his agent and media that the Canucks blinked and raised their offer substantially at the last minute.  It is reported they got too worried about what would happen to the team if they lost both Miller and Horvat (possibly for nothing) when their contracts expired.  At the time they didn’t even know if they believed in Petterson as a centre, and kept saying he could fit in as a winger (where he played in the SHL).

Now, either Horvat doesn’t have interest in re-signing or his agent knows the Canucks will blink at whatever deadline is in place and raise their offer.  Ther id no pressure on the player at all, he is playing well and will undoubtedly be in demand as a UFA. 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, EliPeterson40 said:

Love Bo, and I don’t disagree with you as I would keep him over miller everyday of the week.  But, he has scored 30 goals once in his career. In what world is he considered a 50-60 goal scorer? He has never come close to those numbers, regardless of early season pace of scoring

Likewise,  with the cap staying fairly flat, I’m okay with us capping our offer at $7M for Bo.