The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

I said when Bo became captain his game reminded me of Linden.Linden was more powerforward but everything else is similar.I hate comparing players but to others that is who Bo reminds me of.

I see what you mean but Linden was a much better playmaker and team player overall offensively.  His goals were more varied.  He was in the right spot at the right time because of his work rate and awareness. Bo offensively is like a McKinnon light version.  Not a lot of integration with the flow of play or your teammates.  Its get the puck early and try to beat everyone one on one.  Bo's inside out move is very very effective.  He looks like Bure out there sometimes when he is really on.  When he is not rushing the puck or standing in the slot taking one-timers on the powerplay, it is really hard to notice his offensive contribution.  Someone like Petterson and Miller are perpetual conduits, everything is coming to and from their sticks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I do hope the new D coaching staff gets these boys whipping the puck up boards and long seams quicker.

The past has been methodical, premeditated, and telegraphed.

Having said that ,.  Forwards have to be aware and on their toes.

A big part of our zone exit issues the past few years is the forwards imo. How many times do we see a dman looking for a long outlet only to double pump or have to lift it out of the zone because the forwards are either stationary or not in position for a quick up? That 5 man fluid defensive system needs to change and I think its a big reason they went big after a guy like IM from Toronto. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A big part of our zone exit issues the past few years is the forwards imo. How many times do we see a dman looking for a long outlet only to double pump or have to lift it out of the zone because the forwards are either stationary or not in position for a quick up? That 5 man fluid defensive system needs to change and I think its a big reason they went big after a guy like IM from Toronto. 

Totally agree,.    And that’s the approach to zone exits that’s needed ,.  Involve the entire team in bringing structure to that , including the Goalies.

if we’re not getting past our blue line cleanly in  2 passes we’re doomed.…. And some great offensive rushes can be designed from it.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Totally agree,.    And that’s the approach to zone exits that’s needed ,.  Involve the entire team in bringing structure to that , including the Goalies.

if we’re not getting past our blue line cleanly in  2 passes we’re doomed.…. And some great offensive rushes can be designed from it.

That’s exactly right. Quick and accurate transitions allow the forwards to attack with speed and push back defenders. This means less dump and chase and more opportunity to control the puck throughout zone entry. I see that as critical to making the most of our offensive players. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I said when Bo became captain his game reminded me of Linden.Linden was more powerforward but everything else is similar.I hate comparing players but to others that is who Bo reminds me of.

I did too when he first came on the scene, however, I have seen more and more of a Hank type in him lately. He doesn't hit much and i have seen him skate away from scrums, not something i think a leader should be doing. He does have Linden's drive come playoff time, which is great though.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Horvat is is underrated somewhat offensively and had been miscast for years as a shutdown guy (he is significantly overrated defensively).

If he can improve his offensive consistency  and continue to be a big moment clutch guy, it’s almost an embarrassment of riches to have Miller, Horvat, EP at center.

Having said that, the style that works with the type of roster we have is puck possession, pure and simple. This team needs to be much better at zone exits and much better at entering the offensive zone with speed and puck control to be successful consistently. We don’t have the typical shutdown center type at this point. 

I still think our best way to go here is to play Miller on the wing with Petey and have BO as a 2C so he can focus more on the offensive side. We can then trade a winger and pick up a true 3C who can play the hard minutes against the opposing teams best players. 

Like you said BO isn’t a defensive guru. He was given that assignment in Vancouver but isn’t particularly good at it other than on face offs. 

We need to find a 3C like a Manny Malhotra type. This also allows Mikheyev to play on the 3rd line with our new 3C to form a formidable checking line. 

I don’t think rolling 3 lines in the playoffs without a true checking line is going to help us win a cup. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I am sorry Kesler was a significantly better defensive player the Bo ever will be.  Kesler was an animal.  Kesler single handedly won the predators series.  He was a favorite with Loungo for the Smythe in 2011.  His underperformance at times prior can be attributed precisely to his over emphasis on the defensive side of the game.  Kesler was extremely fast and constantly in your face.  An absolute nightmare to play against.  Horvat is a solid positional player who is great on faceoffs.  He is more like NIck Bonino+++

Yeah, all you guys trumpeting Kes are right, he was a great defensive player and we were lucky to have him.

I would like some to recall his first 4 years in the league, where we wondered if he would ever find his hands.

He did start young and he could skate like a scalded cat, but who knew where the puck was or where it was going.

We just kept yearning for him to break out and get it all together.

Then he did from about 2008 - 2012 then he was hurt, and quit on the team, and wanted to go to Anaheim and Murica.

I don't mind him coming back into the fold, but he's not as historical a figure as some are making out here.

On topic: I would much prefer to sign Bo to an 8 year contract than I would have been to sign Kesler to one.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

It’s really ,  quite a good problem to have :)

Rare to get Center strength like that straight through 3 lines, and all flexible on Specialty Teams.

You really could line them up in opposite order of # 1-3 lines and create hell with the opposition.

No wonder BBoudreau is stoked to have them all.

I have said Bo is an option to use IF we trade,.  
But I tend to think it’s our winger depth that we will move to bring in any other strength at D if we need it.

I think Kuzmenko will push someone out eventually , and Mihky’s arrival is perhaps already pressuring another winger out.

Yip. It's what this team is. To win a cup you need a stud goalie, first rate centers, a Norris type dman. We are missing the Norris player and really, they are pretty much only obtainable by drafting. Hughes is a stud, but not a Norris guy. Cups are sometimes won by teams that have a different recipe and our secret weapon, making up for lack of a Norris guy, will be strength down the middle. It worked for the Pens. Letang is a stud but but not quite that Norris guy. I believe at some point you have to stop waiting for the perfect ingredients and just go hard with what you got. Is this a cup team? Realistically, no. But would I be shocked if this team, if healthy, was in the finals? Not really. It kind of reminds me of the 2011 team. Better goaltending now, but weaker D depth than 2011. This will be fun. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Probably. But it’s not 100% assured imo. 

People here are far too attached to him imo. I don’t necessarily think he is the sure thing Canucks lifer many suggest he is. 

maybe, but what would the trade be that would make sense for the Canucks? 

We'd still be back in that same problem of lack of trade partners for upgrading the d that we had with Miller. 

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

maybe, but what would the trade be that would make sense for the Canucks? 

We'd still be back in that same problem of lack of trade partners for upgrading the d that we had with Miller. 

With Miller off the block, Horvat is probably the only tradeable player that could reasonably expect to return a top D prospect. Not saying he would or not.

I have long said that rhd should have been a significant draft focus of the Canucks for years. They are the hardest position to get impact players at really. 

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

With Miller off the block, Horvat is probably the only tradeable player that could reasonably expect to return a top D prospect. Not saying he would or not.

I have long said that rhd should have been a significant draft focus of the Canucks for years. They are the hardest position to get impact players at really. 

I'm trying to remember, when is the last time a top pair RHD was traded?