The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think it’s likely both. Horvat just isn’t the same player he was early on when he was trying to earn the C. The team could certainly use a more engaged captain. And Horvat himself is a much better overall player when he plays with that bit of an edge too. Hope he gets that back. 

At least, for someone like him, it shouldn't be too late for him. He's 26, which should mean he has a few years in his prime. However, the fact that it's not just him in a slump tells me a lot of this is beyond his doing.

35 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I have been saying Horvat is too Sedin like in terms of being apathetic about losing for years now. He was only an actual emotional captain that played a bit rough and tumble before he got the C really. Since he has changed to a much more perimeter game and an excuse making persona. He is more like Tanner Pearson than Trevor Linden. 

So it’s not a switch to a different agenda because of the coach and GM being fired.

Of course you know this because every time I mention Horvat and his apathetic approach to leadership you respond. So you are the one trying to shift the narrative.

Horvat is a good player. I love him. But he is not the next Linden as a leader like many think. He is the next Henrik Sedin. And clearly this team needs a stronger voice that hates losing. It’s why Miller has been apparently able to step in that role a bit more. 

I’ll take a Henrik Sedin over a Trevor Linden every day of the week. And we have no idea how he is in the locker room, you’re assuming because he’s not fired up for the media that he can’t get emotional behind closed doors? In a market like Vancouver if you get fiery with the media it can turn into a $&!# storm. Watch Bo play and watch his demeanour on the ice, he’s not this passive guy you deem him

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

54 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I can't believe how people shift from one negative agenda to another.  It was management and coaching.  The day after that's all taken care of it's already...the captain not showing enough emotion?

Come on, time to coast for awhile and give us all some peace and relief.  Half empty cups get stale....let's have a fresh slate for a bit.  Focus forward and on cheering THIS team on, not our EA NHL version and what we think is the perfect team.

You knew here? Lol. We have by far the crappiest fanbase in the league.

I am generally worried if the city will survive if we ever get to the finals again. Since win or lose the city will burn. 

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I am generally worried if the city will survive if we ever get to the finals again. Since win or lose the city will burn. 

I like to think its all the transplant people who now live in BC but are from other areas of the country and grew up fans of other teams and come here to crap on everything....unfortunately I am probably dead wrong with that!

Fans have passion here, good AND bad...It was a long 8 years and we have a few nice pieces from that time but many holes still, hopefully we get a President and GM with experience and full authority to do as they see fit!

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, there are different personalities and Bo's is a subtle, lead by example deal.  He doesn't show a whole lot of emotion but that shouldn't be translated to "I don't care".  This is the guy who gave a little wink in the dot to send his message...that's how he rolls.  

I hope that, with the changes being made, our fans can chill out and quit complaining for awhile.  Focus on cheering the team on rather than tearing them apart?

This

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I can't believe how people shift from one negative agenda to another.  It was management and coaching.  The day after that's all taken care of it's already...the captain not showing enough emotion?

Come on, time to coast for awhile and give us all some peace and relief.  Half empty cups get stale....let's have a fresh slate for a bit.  Focus forward and on cheering THIS team on, not our EA NHL version and what we think is the perfect team.

It is honestly more deflating and frustrating then following the team this season. Then again take it with a grain of salt, we've had people suggest the owner should sell the team so we the fans can have new owners lol so yeah. Not at all a surprise now that changes and positive ones at that have just been made, we may as well focus on the next manufactured issue of the day. Its so very lame.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

Well, I don't think much could go wrong here. Nearly anything would be better than some of the games we've seen this year. We may still lose, but it won't be paper bag over the head type lose.

Agreed.

Our present players have played themselves right to the bottom of the NHL pile.

They'll need to own that for starters before new coaching can begin to enforce improvement - including team captaincy/leadership.

Don't see a cinderella play-off pursuit on our horizon within the roster, but it'll be fun watching players get professional, proper evaluation.

Maybe if it's walked and quacked like a duck for so long, it probably is one. 

Less dreaming, more reality going forward, eh Francesco?

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Actually, I'm not.  And this is something in the past decade or two but I remember when we lost in '94 and we had a celebration at BC Place.  People celebrated the team and there were moments during that event that I actually forgot that we lost!   It was so awesome.

The city is changing and it's $$ and entitlement...people who demand that money buy them success and when that falls short, they get up in arms about it.  

I liked our old work hard/lunchbox days when we appreciated the game itself and didn't always moan and complain.  It gets so tiring.  (As she moans and complains about the moaners...ok, over it now, gonna practice what I preach).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

Agreed.

Our present players have played themselves right to the bottom of the NHL pile.

They'll need to own that for starters before new coaching can begin to enforce improvement - including team captaincy/leadership.

Don't see a cinderella play-off pursuit on our horizon within the roster, but it'll be fun watching players get professional, proper evaluation.

Maybe if it's walked and quacked like a duck for so long, it probably is one. 

Less dreaming, more reality going forward, eh Francesco?

This is going to give us a true assessment...no more blaming systems/coaches/etc. 

I don't expect an instant turn around....guys like Petey who are slumping will take time to get over the mental hurdles that come with that.  But we'll see if this staff can intervene with more success and help provide some direction.

Thing is, some of this was just a matter of exercising patience so not everything that starts to click will be directly attributed to new personnel.  

But it was time to give this roster that chance...TO prove themselves with some fresh ideas and new direction.  If they still flounder, then we'll know it's their deal and they need to figure it out at a personal level.

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Taylor and Dhaliwal saying the Canucks jumped on Boudreau because they knew Philly was going to fire AV and hire Boudreau themselves.

I doubt this.  Boods signed for only this year and next with us.  If the Canucks knew AV was going to get tossed, and the Flyers were going for Boods, then Boods' agent would know that too, and would have waited to get more term and dollars.  This is Boods wanting to be here.  Donnie and Dhally need to pick up their games.  Too much making stuff up. 

I think Boudreau is a near perfect hire for this team.  We have the guys to play a much more fast paced and aggressive style, which he typically has run.  I've said a number of times that I think we had a good roster with poor coaching and minor league systems.  I suspect that we will see a pretty sharp turnaround here.  EP, BB. BH have been awful, I think this will light a fire under them.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

This is going to give us a true assessment...no more blaming systems/coaches/etc. 

I don't expect an instant turn around....guys like Petey who are slumping will take time to get over the mental hurdles that come with that.  But we'll see if this staff can intervene with more success and help provide some direction.

Thing is, some of this was just a matter of exercising patience so not everything that starts to click will be directly attributed to new personnel.  

But it was time to give this roster that chance...TO prove themselves with some fresh ideas and new direction.  If they still flounder, then we'll know it's their deal and they need to figure it out at a personal level.

Petey and Bess look too heavy to my eye.  I think they are a step slower.  

• Cheers 1