The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

55 minutes ago, PuckYa said:

What a breath of fresh air.

NEWS | Head Coach Bruce Boudreau | NHL.com

Paying dividends instantly. Yes it's 1 game but it feels like many more nights like this, not the past. Feels like skies the limit with Gabby having the players backs..

:towel::canucks:::D

For those who said JB was a failure, I say let's wait and see what change BB has.  JB's biggest failure may have been not firing Green (if he was allowed to).  If Smyl does nothing (let's face it, he won't change the composition of the team) and this team starts winning, then we'll have our answer.  Don't get me wrong, JB's time was up, but it probably didn't have to be that way if he was as good at evaluating coaches as he was draft prospects.

• Cheers 2

8-1-0. That's our record when we score 3 or more goals.

1-14-2. That's our record when we score 2 or fewer goals. The only win came against Montreal.

With Boudreau, hopefully scoring 3+ goals may become more common than not. Our defence just needs to limit the number of high danger chances so as to help out Demko from having to overwork.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder why Boudreau hasn’t had much playoff success throughout his career? 

He’s had some really good teams, just could never get over that playoff hump.

Yeah, good question.

My guess is that,

1. Winning in the playoffs is dang hard. 

2. He got close with Anaheim but Chicago team was just a bit more superior and had better clutch performers. And, I think Quenneviie is the best coach, especially in the playoffs, since Scotty Bowman (just off the top of my head). He makes in-game adjustments but also reads the series very well and makes adjustments during the series.

3. It looks like Boudreau used to prefer playing a certain style, like along the boards in Anaheim and maybe also in Washington? The teams that beat them were usually fast and skilled teams. In WSH, they lost to MTL and TBL in 2010, 2011. 

4. In Minnesota, his roster wasn't really superior compared to the teams that beat him. In fact, in 2018, WPG roster was probably better than the Wilds.

This is maybe the first time where he is coaching a team built on speed and skill. Maybe this is where he will have playoff success.

And he has won a Calder cup and runner-up once with Hershey Bears so he can and has won in the playoffs at the lower level. 

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Wow what a refreshing night.

So much energy for this game tonight..

Even tho im watching MNF my fav team the Patriots  game vs Bills on TV  I'm listening to canucks pre game in SN650 with football game on mute..  

Love it.

Good gawd you were able to stomach watching that game? ahhahahah

15 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah, good question.

My guess is that,

1. Winning in the playoffs is dang hard. 

2. He got close with Anaheim but Chicago team was just a bit more superior and had better clutch performers. And, I think Quenneviie is the best coach, especially in the playoffs, since Scotty Bowman (just off the top of my head). He makes in-game adjustments but also reads the series very well and makes adjustments during the series.

3. It looks like Boudreau used to prefer playing a certain style, like along the boards in Anaheim and maybe also in Washington? The teams that beat them were usually fast and skilled teams. In WSH, they lost to MTL and TBL in 2010, 2011. 

4. In Minnesota, his roster wasn't really superior compared to the teams that beat him. In fact, in 2018, WPG roster was probably better than the Wilds.

This is maybe the first time where he is coaching a team built on speed and skill. Maybe this is where he will have playoff success.

And he has won a Calder cup and runner-up once with Hershey Bears so he can and has won in the playoffs at the lower level. 

Well, I’m rooting for Bruce. He seems like a really nice, lovable guy (when they’re winning). 

Did he have good goalies in Anaheim and Washington? Because Demko, in my mind, is a game changer in net. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

For those who said JB was a failure, I say let's wait and see what change BB has.  JB's biggest failure may have been not firing Green (if he was allowed to).  If Smyl does nothing (let's face it, he won't change the composition of the team) and this team starts winning, then we'll have our answer.  Don't get me wrong, JB's time was up, but it probably didn't have to be that way if he was as good at evaluating coaches as he was draft prospects.

I don't think for a second that Benning didn't also have an impact on how the team felt and performed.

There's so much evidence that players weren't pleased with management, and then there's the way they treated the COVID outbreak and some of their most popular players, of course they weren't at their best.

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, I’m rooting for Bruce. He seems like a really nice, lovable guy (when they’re winning). 

Did he have good goalies in Anaheim and Washington? Because Demko, in my mind, is a game changer in net. 

Holtby 

Varlomov

Neuvirth

Theodore

Vokoun

Problem was his team's in Washington didn't have any defenceman that played defence.

I've always liked FA as our owner....he's a homer fan, like me (except he's rich and I'm poor).

The fact that he will openly state "maybe we should have done it sooner" shows a sense of humility to me...he isn't perfect.  But he wants this team to win and that much is clear.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

To be fair, he ran into some good teams in the playoffs and did still usually push them to deep series. His lack of playoff success is over-exaggerated. Winning in the playoffs is tough. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

To be fair, he ran into some good teams in the playoffs and did still usually push them to deep series. His lack of playoff success is over-exaggerated. Winning in the playoffs is tough. 

He got halaked in 2010. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Ladies and gentlemen, and so it starts.

Due to the poisonous fan base and the poisonous media of this town, I give Boudreau two weeks before he starts feeling the wrath of ignorance.

The night of a convincing 4-0 win.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 3