The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I'm one of them. I wish him nothing but the best, however, the game is a result based commodity, and he didn't have the horses to get to the next level. BB is 66 years old, he won't be around beyond next year, and usually by then his best before date has expired. I like the Scott Walker add, and I'd even go with Ryan Johnson as a GM too.

Coach BB is a Canadian who wants his final days coaching a Canadian team.  It's his last wish.  Aqua made his Christmas wish a reality 

4 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Geez someone better be overseeing that group. I don't want anyone in that group running the team. Valuable consultants.

It's just on an interim basis. We'll likely hire a proper GM by the end of the season.

Chances are we won't see any major moves until then.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Coach BB is a Canadian who wants his final days coaching a Canadian team.  It's his last wish.  Aqua made his Christmas wish a reality 

And dream of winning the cup. Let's hope he succeeds.  

He looks like a teddy bear. 

4 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Geez someone better be overseeing that group. I don't want anyone in that group running the team. Valuable consultants.

Yeah no kidding. Hopefully it's just a bandaid group to get the team through the rest of the season, and it sounds like it's exactly that.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

If you only look at the roster players exchanged, it was obviously highway robbery.

But stripping it down to that means nothing, because the cap implications are very real (not to mention the draft picks).

FWIW, I've been very pleased with the performance from both Garland and OEL so far.

I get that it HAS to work with a hard cap, but those 2 players in particular, with the needs this team have,  filled holes and upgraded our personnel in players exchanged by 200%
I can not think of another team we could have done that with.

My impression at the time was that AZ must be dismantling and setting up for a ticket sales loss to relocate..

I’ve been reading lately that seems to be the case, and Bettman seen in Quebec City lately.

Money was one thing,  but the timing for that trade had a small window of opportunity for us.. otherwise someone else would have those players.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wonder what the Sedins think about all this? I guess they'll be mentored under whoever we next hire? It's way too early to hire them as co-GMs, right?

Why would any owner pay two to do a one man's job?? Unless... They are sharing a salary! 

1 minute ago, BlueRoyal said:

If a base level of decency is a high pedastal...then yikes.

I'm not saying Benning shouldn't be treated with human decency.

I was more taking umbrage with the "omg our fans sucks our market sucks more people should be good fans like me" garbage.

• Like 2