The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to be limited to 50% capacity at Rogers Arena until end of January

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

As I said preliminary research.  That's all we have.  Also, I'm going off number of deaths over number of cases that are currently publicly released that everyone is always looking at.  This results in currently a 0.5% death rate in Canada.  The common flu as reported by the CDC for 2019-2020 has a 0.1-0.3% death rate.  Therefore, Covid is about 2-3 times as deadly as the common flu.  And that is mostly the Delta variant.  IN PRELIMINARY RESEARCH, showing that this strain is much less severe, this death rate could drop even further with the Omicron variant.  Obviously, we don't know 100% yet although the research is promising, but I'm going off stats that mostly contain the Delta variant and even though that one is considered much worse, it currently only has a death rate with our current 80% vaccination status of 2-3 times more deadly than the common flu.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/influenza-remarkably-absent-in-bc-covid-19-pandemic-1.5878835

So if bc had next to no reported cases last flu season then if this new varaint is only 1 to 3 times as deadly that means  o more than a few people should pass from covid over the  entire year ( for that to be true )

I wish that was true but we know it is not.

The flu impacts a smaller overall % of the population and covid ( in particular this variant) is far more contegeous so many many more people will get it.

The variant is too new to establish any significant drop in mortality rates. I do agree that earliest reports do have this variant as less severe for thr majority ( although some still have really bad impacts) and this variant is reported to be especially problematic with both vaccinated and un vaccinated and younger people.

Anyhow my only point is that rhe only medically peer supported reports on this variant at 5his point indicate.the above (less severe symptoms for most , many breakthrough cases and more younger people testing positive)

It's so new that death and mortality rates as well as long haul impacts don't have enough data to establish the outcomes 

And I get it most reasonable people ( you and me included ) do not take the early positives as news to start peeling back protections in place - rather the hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train...

There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and the government at this point doesn’t have the balls to draw it. This “pandemic” has become an endemic, at this point deaths are very low, and most cases especially the omicron are mild. When can life get back to normal and we take a good long look in the mirror and stop delaying the inevitable. People die… it’s one of the absolutes in life, it’s unavoidable and in Canada the average age of death from covid is 78, with most deaths having underlying health conditions. I don’t want to minimize a death, because death sucks… I’ve lost alot of family and friends.

But at this point there is no evidence that icu, hospitalizations and deaths have changed from the new variant.

When will this end? 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

As I said preliminary research.  That's all we have.  Also, I'm going off number of deaths over number of cases that are currently publicly released that everyone is always looking at.  This results in currently a 0.5% death rate in Canada.  The common flu as reported by the CDC for 2019-2020 has a 0.1-0.3% death rate.  Therefore, Covid is about 2-3 times as deadly as the common flu.  And that is mostly the Delta variant.  IN PRELIMINARY RESEARCH, showing that this strain is much less severe, this death rate could drop even further with the Omicron variant.  Obviously, we don't know 100% yet although the research is promising, but I'm going off stats that mostly contain the Delta variant and even though that one is considered much worse, it currently only has a death rate with our current 80% vaccination status of 2-3 times more deadly than the common flu.

The problem is the transmissibility is so significantly higher. Though fatality rate is an important metric when discussing a virus's severity, when we're talking about public health measures, total numbers are equally important (it's total numbers not rates that strain the healthcare system). When comparing prior years (2015-2019) influenza numbers to 2020 and 2021 Covid numbers it's important to remember that influenza was completely unmitigated by public health restrictions (at risk people and their care providers were often vaccinated for it though). While Covid had huge swaths of restrictions to limit spread and it still had a substantially more damaging impact on health care availability. Take a look as the previous year's flu season:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/fluwatch/2020-2021/weeks-30-34-july-25-august-28-2021.html

From the end of August 2020 to the end of August 2021 there were a grand total of 69 lab confirmed influenza cases in Canada. Despite double the number of tests being performed, compared to the 5 year average. The 5 year average for lab confirmed cases of influenza is 52,169. The anti-Covid measures nearly completely eradicated influenza in Canada, but we still ended up with a million+ Covid cases over that period. So yes, 0.5% isn't that much higher than 0.2%. But 0.5% of 1 million is a lot more than 0.2% of 69.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and the government at this point doesn’t have the balls to draw it. This “pandemic” has become an endemic, at this point deaths are very low, and most cases especially the omicron are mild. When can life get back to normal and we take a good long look in the mirror and stop delaying the inevitable. People die… it’s one of the absolutes in life, it’s unavoidable and in Canada the average age of death from covid is 78, with most deaths having underlying health conditions. I don’t want to minimize a death, because death sucks… I’ve lost alot of family and friends.

But at this point there is no evidence that icu, hospitalizations and deaths have changed from the new variant.

When will this end? 

When the ICUs are no longer overflowing with unvaccinated idiots.

• Wat 4
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Canucklehead53 said:

when I went to a baby canucks game it was 50% capacity - still a ton of fun - but what I found interesting is that there was no strategy for how to implement. for instance my section was 80+ percent of its capacity while others where basically empty....seemed to kind of defear the purpose when I was elbow to elbow in my section.

I went to the lions game when they got destroyed by calgary. Same deal, the upper bowl was damn near empty and the lower bowl was near capacity. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

When will this end? 

The healthcare system has been near max capacity in most of BC for the majority of this entire pandemic. It's the cold and flu season, and early reports are showing this variant is something we need to be taking very seriously. People die, that's life. But attempting to reduce the stress on hospitals so more people don't die needlessly is something worth making sacrifices for. I'm sorry if you don't feel that way, but that's true.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I can draw a line for you. People who choose not to be vaccinated for non-health reasons don't get to go to the hospital. That puts our health system back to normal and we can stop with the other measures. They are the ones causing the systemic problems.

Since they like "doing their own research" so much, this shouldn't be an issue for them.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Since they like "doing their own research" so much, this shouldn't be an issue for them.

Alberta likes its horse meds, so go get treated in a barn too and stay out of the hospital.

Voluntary anti-vaxxers don't care about me, why should I care what happens to them?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

amen brother. After the morning I have had, I have to agree. Wife lost a childhood friend overnight and one of my employees father is in ICU after a heart attack last night. And a customer OD'd on heroin in her hotel room yesterday. Been a rough 24 hours.

My condolences amigo, that's a really tough time you guys are going through. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

When will this end? 

Because having to do take.out at Dennys instead of dining in is such a constituonal violation ?

This is no longer.about what's safe for the team or the new capacity rules.

I'm grateful this generation wasn't there in ww2 as we would have been overwhelmed in a few days 

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

Facebook poster on goverment live stream just now wins the interent for the day 

"Facebook research has proved that Instagram trained experts are 4 times more educated.than you tube trained experts"

I see.what they did there lol .... setting up Facebook training as the gold.standard

Welll played Facebook...... well.played lol

• Haha 1