The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Evander Kane

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

1M as a gamble against deeper secondary scoring in the playoffs. That would be my endgame. I know he's not very popular but we've seen good things from Kassian. It's just a matter of hedging our bets with a low cost no cost asset. 

It took Kassian, a car crash in Montreal, to get him to understand he had a problem. He's lucky no one was permanently hurt. Kane's problem is he doesn't seem to think he has a problem(s). It would be different if he had a cold hard look at himself. And started taking steps to turn his life around. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It took Kassian, a car crash in Montreal, to get him to understand he had a problem. He's lucky no one was permanently hurt. Kane's problem is he doesn't seem to think he has a problem(s). It would be different if he had a cold hard look at himself. And started taking steps to turn his life around. 

I guess we’ll see if that happens…

38 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He is not the biggest piece of $&!# in the league. He has his issues, but you guys are just spewing out a bunch random $&!# about him. On the ice, he sticks up for his teammates, he battles hard, he does what is asked of him. He has a strong work ethic, and plays a full 200ft game. 

What he did with that fake passport stuff was obviously stupid. However, his actions haven’t directly affected anyone but himself. He is his own worst enemy, and people like him need guidance. We have the proper facilities and people to get him on the right track. He doesn’t have $&!# in San Jose. 

The proper facility for him to get his life on track is a prison cell, not Rogers Arena.  If he's not the biggest piece of **** in the league, who is?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Buff was a locker room problem himself. Wheeler has been known to be very selfish and self cantered in the locker room.

Not even close to what we have here.

Unlike DeAngelo, he’s never said anything racist at all. Unlike Bertuzzi/McSorley, he’s never assaulted someone. He’s been proven innocent for his off ice conduct as his baby mother was exposed for making up lies about his gambling of hockey games as well as abuse. 

People have done way more reprehensible $&!# and did not get their contracts terminated. 

The AHL team he was playing for briefly said he’s been an awesome guy, who hadn’t let his obvious NHL ego rub off them and instead has been very humble and fortunate.

We don’t know the exact reason for his breach of contract. We all know how &^@#ing confusing these rules are and restrictions. Do you honestly think after being suspended 20 games, he would just go out and intentionally break the rules? There was probably some sort of miscommunication on his part or some mistake he made. San Jose is trying to get rid of his contract anyway possible because they obviously don’t want him. 

He is not the biggest piece of $&!# in the league. He has his issues, but you guys are just spewing out a bunch random $&!# about him. On the ice, he sticks up for his teammates, he battles hard, he does what is asked of him. He has a strong work ethic, and plays a full 200ft game. 

What he did with that fake passport stuff was obviously stupid. However, his actions haven’t directly affected anyone but himself. He is his own worst enemy, and people like him need guidance. We have the proper facilities and people to get him on the right track. He doesn’t have $&!# in San Jose. 

You're ignoring a pretty big red flag: that his teammates in San Jose, almost to a man, said they didn't want him back. After being the team's leading scorer the year before. Some even saying that they'd demand a trade if he returned. That's after reported problems in Winnipeg too.

When it comes to the sport of hockey,  having your teammates legitimately hating you is far worse than being a covidiot.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

You're ignoring a pretty big red flag: that his teammates in San Jose, almost to a man, said they didn't want him back. After being the team's leading scorer the year before. Some even saying that they'd demand a trade if he returned. That's after reported problems in Winnipeg too.

When it comes to the sport of hockey,  having your teammates legitimately hating you is far worse than being a covidiot.

image.thumb.jpeg.f497f7fbe0a99e8221188cc6f14b4ddf.jpeg

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

“Ron, a surprise bombshell about Evander Kane being put on waivers with the condition to terminate if he clears it. That will be known at 2 PM eastern if he does clear waivers and it’s a surprise because there have been various points in the last year where there have been rumors about potential buyouts and termination of Kane’s contract and it’s always been denied.

So what changed this time, with the support of the National Hockey League, the Sharks are alleging that Kane, who tested positive for the Coronavirus on December 21st, made a flight to Vancouver on December 29th and they are saying he didn’t have permission to take that flight, medical clearance to take it, and that is being disputed. And also they say he was supposed to return to San Jose, the Barracuda’s of the AHL, on December 31st and did not come back until January 6th. Also, that is being disputed.

The NHLPA has already said it will appeal if he clears, and the Sharks try to terminate his deal. His agent has said they will appeal, and we’ll have to see where this goes in terms of an arbitrator, and what he or she would decide to rule. But, the story isn’t over no matter what happens and there is going to be a legal fight coming out of this.

The other part of this thing Jeff and Ron, is that I do believe there are teams, who if Kane becomes an unrestricted free agent, will want to sign him depending on what the contract would look like, what he wants. I do believe there is legit interest out there, and the league and the players association are going to have to get together and work out a set system that this could happen, cause in theory if he was to win a grievance, he would then have two NHL contracts. So a lot will still unfold here.”

43 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

“Ron, a surprise bombshell about Evander Kane being put on waivers with the condition to terminate if he clears it. That will be known at 2 PM eastern if he does clear waivers and it’s a surprise because there have been various points in the last year where there have been rumors about potential buyouts and termination of Kane’s contract and it’s always been denied.

So what changed this time, with the support of the National Hockey League, the Sharks are alleging that Kane, who tested positive for the Coronavirus on December 21st, made a flight to Vancouver on December 29th and they are saying he didn’t have permission to take that flight, medical clearance to take it, and that is being disputed. And also they say he was supposed to return to San Jose, the Barracuda’s of the AHL, on December 31st and did not come back until January 6th. Also, that is being disputed.

The NHLPA has already said it will appeal if he clears, and the Sharks try to terminate his deal. His agent has said they will appeal, and we’ll have to see where this goes in terms of an arbitrator, and what he or she would decide to rule. But, the story isn’t over no matter what happens and there is going to be a legal fight coming out of this.

The other part of this thing Jeff and Ron, is that I do believe there are teams, who if Kane becomes an unrestricted free agent, will want to sign him depending on what the contract would look like, what he wants. I do believe there is legit interest out there, and the league and the players association are going to have to get together and work out a set system that this could happen, cause in theory if he was to win a grievance, he would then have two NHL contracts. So a lot will still unfold here.”

If he got two negative results after he tested positive, he was fine legally to fly home.  He is a Canadian citizen.  We had players fly back from California in similar circumstances but in fewer than the 8 days between when Kane was positive and flew back.

From the sounds of this so far, I don’t see a $22 million dollar mistake.  Historically failure to report to the minors has resulted in suspension until a player does.  There have been a ton of players who didn’t report immediately.

The Sharks have to do an incredible job arguing and illustrating how they followed a long road of progressive discipline until finally there was no other choice left to them than to terminate the contract.  They guy had had a lot of bad press, but compared with a lot of other historical incidents with players that did not result in contract termination this is really minor on its own.

I don’t see the issue with having two contracts, if Kane wins his arbitration, it will be a slam dunk for his rep to claim that the Sharks have poisoned the relationship to the point that returning is untenable.  They would be on the hook for his salary (minus what he can make to mitigate his losses).  

I suspect the league will quietly not allow any team to sign him until it is sorted though… and they had better hope no one spills the beans on that tactic as it would look really bad.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

If he got two negative results after he tested positive, he was fine legally to fly home.  He is a Canadian citizen.  We had players fly back from California in similar circumstances but in fewer than the 8 days between when Kane was positive and flew back.

From the sounds of this so far, I don’t see a $22 million dollar mistake.  Historically failure to report to the minors has resulted in suspension until a player does.  There have been a ton of players who didn’t report immediately.

The Sharks have to do an incredible job arguing and illustrating how they followed a long road of progressive discipline until finally there was no other choice left to them than to terminate the contract.  They guy had had a lot of bad press, but compared with a lot of other historical incidents with players that did not result in contract termination this is really minor on its own.

I don’t see the issue with having two contracts, if Kane wins his arbitration, it will be a slam dunk for his rep to claim that the Sharks have poisoned the relationship to the point that returning is untenable.  They would be on the hook for his salary (minus what he can make to mitigate his losses).  

I suspect the league will quietly not allow any team to sign him until it is sorted though… and they had better hope no one spills the beans on that tactic as it would look really bad.

if there's any ambiguity to the team clearance process, or the arbitrator see's that Kane thought he was being reasonable (like getting two tests before flying) then I don't see how this is a guaranteed slam dunk for SJS.

If the NHL lets SJS off the hook though on his full cap if the arbitrator rules for Kane its just another example of the league making things up as they go along. Which wouldn't surprise me at all. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Kane - 2 years 2 million - extra 2 million for a possible 4 million if he goes both years with out bull $&!#

half the contract will be up to his behaviour 

I would not give this guy, anything more than could be buried in the AHL, even if we didn't want him to play there.

53 minutes ago, Provost said:

I do think you need to take it in the context of a player just getting off a long suspension for essentially COVID related fraud.

Also had to know the Sharks were looking for any opportunity to terminate his contract so needed to be very careful.

Will be curious to see how this all plays out.  Law suit will likely go on for years.

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Had heard about how much Big Buff disliked him, but have never seen that picture before lol

Was a joking moment between the two per the photographer - that picture has so often been taken out of context.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Acquiring Kane would be the definition of insanity.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

3 franchises this guy has embarrassed. Anyone thinking that getting this guy is a good idea needs a reality check 

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Starting to look like one of those "women who love men in prison" things.

"I can change him, he just needs someone who understands him".

difference is Kane’s not a serial rapist, murderer, or pedophile like many are treating him like.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

difference is Kane’s not a serial rapist, murderer, or pedophile like many are treating him like.

is that the bar now?

the guy does need help, clearly. I don't want the Canucks using the kid without requiring him to get help. 

• Cheers 1