The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's wrong with EP.???

Rate this topic

erkayloomeh

Well he certainly isn't playing like he used too.    Confidence for sure could be part of this.   Just hope (and i'm sure this is the case), that like most star NHLers, he's putting the time in every day to improve his craft.   Every young team goes through ups and downs, as do a lot of players at some point.   For sure it's disappointing, especially after getting paid like a star on his bridge deal.  I'm sure he's getting a ton of support both from his teammates and the coaching staff/trainers.   Nobody would be shocked to see him explode at some point, but it's also fair to say that if things don't improve a change of scenery could be in his future. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well he certainly isn't playing like he used too.    Confidence for sure could be part of this.   Just hope (and i'm sure this is the case), that like most star NHLers, he's putting the time in every day to improve his craft.   Every young team goes through ups and downs, as do a lot of players at some point.   For sure it's disappointing, especially after getting paid like a star on his bridge deal.  I'm sure he's getting a ton of support both from his teammates and the coaching staff/trainers.   Nobody would be shocked to see him explode at some point, but it's also fair to say that if things don't improve a change of scenery could be in his future. 

He's giving me Juneau / Jimmy Carson vibes.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Has Petey been himself since we lost Marky, Tanev, and Tofu?  He was fabulous in the bubble playoffs.  Then he seemed off Jan 2020, and really hasn’t got it back.  It’s like Petey learned during that off season (after the bubble and seeing key guys leave) that the NHL was a business.  It’s like he’s lost his love for playing.  It’s not a game anymore.  

Yea, something like this and that others told him how to play, par example Miller.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Gary Leeman, Ken Hodge Jr., Scott Bjugstad, Warren Young.  Or the playoff versions Chris Kontos and John Druce.

Let's hope not for our sakes.   Or if that's the case, that management sees it as such and pulls the cord this TDL....i really have no clue.    Glad it's not up to me to either make a huge mistake, or possibly dodge a bullet. 

• Like 3

Major wrist surgery that caused him to miss most of a season.  
Missed camp because of contract dispute. 
Coaching change mid season, even if improvement can be unsettling for young player. 
Look at how much Nylander struggled in first season after he missed a significant amount with contract dispute. 
Would like to see him adding a little more of speed game, he showed flashes of that early. He tends to like to stand around and make decisions instead of making decisions while moving. If he added a power stride and drop shoulder inside move like Bure used to use he would draw so many penalties.  Still some recovery and growth to go. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Has Petey been himself since we lost Marky, Tanev, and Tofu?  He was fabulous in the bubble playoffs.  Then he seemed off Jan 2020, and really hasn’t got it back.  It’s like Petey learned during that off season (after the bubble and seeing key guys leave) that the NHL was a business.  It’s like he’s lost his love for playing.  It’s not a game anymore.  

Ok GM Alf, how was the team going to fit those three players and stay under the cap?

Had JB traded Virtanen and Gaudette you'd get to keep one of those three. 

Stop crying over spilt milk. 

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ok GM Alf, how was the team going to fit those three players and stay under the cap?

Had JB traded Virtanen and Gaudette you'd get to keep one of those three. 

Stop crying over spilt milk. 

I don't think Alf is crying, but Petey seems to be all out of tears. Time for him to put his big boy pants on and start earning that big paycheque. Enough excuses for this guy, it's his 4th year and he's not injured.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

To me it looks like he isn’t comfortable with the puck and wants to dish it off often forcing passes that arent there when he isnt being pressures.

He is slumping hard and has no confidence with the puck on his stick 

This to me is all in his head, but the longer it goes on the worse it will be

if i had to guess it had started deteriorating last season. He was having a ton of trouble with his 1 timer on the power play, needing the pass to be absolutely perfect otherwise he would stop it and just pass it back

not to bring green up to bash him but i could see that green got into his head about when to shoot and to not potentially turn the puck over 

The biggest concern for me was his off-season work. He didn't even really build his frame at all. He's at an age where he should have an adult frame and he had all that time in the off-season to put on weight and he has come in looking the exact same as previous years. He's spent one off-season in the gym it seems. Seems like there's a motivational disconnect there. 

• Like 1

Under Green, the whole team looked like they were afraid to make mistakes because they knew they would be punished. That's one of the biggest differences I've seen with Boudreau, he doesn't mind a few mistakes as long as players are playing their hardest. It seems like that change in attitude has benefited everyone on the team except for Petey. He just looks scared to try the audacious moves that made him so successful his first couple of seasons. I hope that's all it is, and not an injury or something amiss in his personal life. I feel like he might just need a bit of puck luck in consecutive games to get his mojo back. Towards the end of the recent Boudreau mic'd up video, you can see how encouraging Boudreau is when talking to Petey at the end of practice. I thought it was pretty touching, like a grandpa encouraging a grandkid who's having a rough time.

He's dispirited.  It's probably because he's tired of being beat up every shift.  That's the reality of being a relatively small skilled guy in the NHL.  He has to figure it out like everyone else but it would really help if he had some protection out on the ice (and I don't mean Pearson or Miller - it was nice to see them step up when they had to but that isn't their role).  The NHL with it's whacky inconsistent refereeing isn't going to protect him so we need an enforcer.  Gretzky had his Semenko.  Bure had his Odjick.  Petey needs someone like that to make the other team pay when they take cheap shots against him.  I would rather not have to go that way and I would prefer better and more consistent refereeing but that's just not going to happen in the current NHL.  Go Canucks Go!

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Let's hope not for our sakes.   Or if that's the case, that management sees it as such and pulls the cord this TDL....i really have no clue.    Glad it's not up to me to either make a huge mistake, or possibly dodge a bullet. 

I don't think there is any immediate need to trade him. But I make no excuses for him he wanted the money now he's gotta earn it. 

• Cheers 1

I said this awhile ago when the lotto line was rolling-Miller was the guy that drove the bus on that line. EP has good finish and is a good passer, but I saw Miller consistently make tough plays or posses the puck which led to production for that line.  EP and Boeser are kinda the same in the sense that they are both better finishers than they are puck possession/retrieval guys.  With EP right now, I can see that he’s trying hard to make plays, but opponents arnt having a difficult time defending him. Maybe as EP matures he can develop power or speed to give him a different look but for now he needs something else to round out his game/get him more offensive opportunity which is why I think Boudreau is really honing in on effort.  IMO EP needs to embrace a Datsuyk style of game (and I think he can/is trying to)