The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Jan. 16, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Who names their kid, Garnet? Someone wearing a very garrish pinky-ring with a super-large stone in it, perhaps? I’m really cheered off by NHLers who play uppity thinkin’ they’re all privileged & entitled…like the rules of the game don’t apply to them or that the long-term health of your fellow union bros doesn’t matter out there. 

If you want to become famous for cheap-shottin’ goonish ‘things’ Garnet, be prepared to answer the bell. You look like Steve Moore, but stop imitating him - ‘cuz his schtick didn’t work out so well.  

Edited by viking mama

58 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

All those who were screaming for Pettersson to be traded or sent to the minors need to man-up and admit their mistake.

He sparked the comeback and was key to this win.

He is working hard and he will continue to improve.

Great game by Demko... after the first goal by Ovie, Demko went mano a mano with the big Russki and stared him down.

Good to see Miller and his line score too... they were getting snakebit after the previous three games.

Bo continues his strong play... he has been the most consistent Canuck, even over the losses.

On to Nashville... lets hope they get some rest and are ready.

Might be good for him to get some ECHL time though, a few games where he scores 18 goals a night should do wonders for his confidence.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

All those who were screaming for Pettersson to be traded or sent to the minors need to man-up and admit their mistake.

He is working hard and he will continue to improve.

Great game by Demko... after the first goal by Ovie, Demko went mano a mano with the big Russki and stared him down.

Good to see Miller and his line score too... they were getting snakebit after the previous three games.

Bo continues his strong play... he has been the most consistent Canuck, even over the losses.

On to Nashville... lets hope they get some rest and are ready.

We played well against all the top teams that we lost to.  Even outshot Florida by a wide margin and outshot Tampa.  Shots were close in the Carolina game as well.  Our top 6 forwards let us down in those games, as our 4th line was the only line that was on the scoreboard.  In watching the game today it was evident that we have lots of talent up front.  Petey and Boeser need to be going in order for us to be able to win games.  Petey went off today and had his best game all year.  Boeser was doing well until he got injured, so hopefully he starts to play better when the team returns home.  Not sure why Boudreau went with Hunt over Burroughs, but hopefully he learned from his mistake and Hunt never sees the ice again.

I can see us going on another win streak.  I wouldn't be surprised if we go 6-2 in our next 8 games.  Petey is the key really.  If he starts playing like a true #1 centre then we have a real good shot at a playoff spot.

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Today Pettersson was this 

Despite his two goals - one of which was very lucky - he still got knocked off the puck almost every time he touched it, lost all puck battles along the boards, stumbled down constantly and still looked like an 11 y.o. gazelle growing into a 14 y.o. body and a very shaky player. 

While it's great to see him bag a couple - there is still something seriously wrong with either his skates, body or brains because he's not even close to playing like he did in his first year.  He is borderline useless skating with the puck as it's almost certain that he'll lose the puck along the way and cannot get past anyone.   I'm still very concerned about him and hopefully he gets better but those two goals definately don't change my concern of his overall performance this year!

Bambi On Ice GIFs | Tenor

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

Boudreau said about a week ago in an interview that the plan had been for H to join the team on this trip, but "he had a setback"

He's all but toast with the canucks after this year.   Completely undependable and high maintenance. Move on............

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It's one game. Anyone can have a good one game even Jayson Megna had 2 goals and 1 assistant one game against the bolts

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Despite his two goals - one of which was very lucky - he still got knocked off the puck almost every time he touched it, lost all puck battles along the boards, stumbled down constantly and still looked like an 11 y.o. gazelle growing into a 14 y.o. body and a very shaky player. 

While it's great to see him bag a couple - there is still something seriously wrong with either his skates, body or brains because he's not even close to playing like he did in his first year.  He is borderline useless skating with the puck as it's almost certain that he'll lose the puck along the way and cannot get past anyone.   I'm still very concerned about him and hopefully he gets better but those two goals definately don't change my concern of his overall performance this year!

Bambi On Ice GIFs | Tenor

I think you're being a bit harsh. 

EP was never a tank on his skates...

His biggest attribute was being a game breaker and having the ability to score when given a scoring opportunity that can change the momentum of the game. Those players are far and few between. That happened tonight when he scored 2 quick ones to give us the lead. 

If EP can start putting up points again, do i care that he falls down sometimes? 

If he can score 2 goals and falls down a few times a game, I'm pretty sure we win most of those games. If EP doesn't score those 2 goals today, we lose our 4th in a row. Now we go into Nashville with some mojo and optimism. You can thank Petey for that. 

This issue was that when he's not scoring he's not adding much to the team. His skill is there. His confidence wasnt. There was a play last game where he kicked the puck up to his stick. That was a great play using his natural instinct and skill set. He then lost the puck as it rolled off his stick. That was a "between the ears / lack of confidence" mistake. 

Like BB said, it takes a few games. I trust his judgment. BB said he was the hardest working player before covid. He felt like he was about to break through and then covid happened. He then said a couple games ago that its starting to come along and its not an instant thing. It'll build. 

He hit the post last game and then scored 2 today. 

Had it went post and in last game as well, wouldn't we be more optimistic that he's showing signs of life again? 

I'm excited that that we might be able to squeak into the playoffs with a red hot Petey

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We played well against all the top teams that we lost to.  Even outshot Florida by a wide margin and outshot Tampa.  Shots were close in the Carolina game as well.  Our top 6 forwards let us down in those games, as our 4th line was the only line that was on the scoreboard.  In watching the game today it was evident that we have lots of talent up front.  Petey and Boeser need to be going in order for us to be able to win games.  Petey went off today and had his best game all year.  Boeser was doing well until he got injured, so hopefully he starts to play better when the team returns home.  Not sure why Boudreau went with Hunt over Burroughs, but hopefully he learned from his mistake and Hunt never sees the ice again.

I can see us going on another win streak.  I wouldn't be surprised if we go 6-2 in our next 8 games.  Petey is the key really.  If he starts playing like a true #1 centre then we have a real good shot at a playoff spot.

Burroughs had his moments of lapses - especially, in the first two periods but the fight, was a welcome site against a big chippy team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think you're being a bit harsh. 

EP was never a tank on his skates...

His biggest attribute was being a game breaker and having the ability to score when given a scoring opportunity that can change the momentum of the game. Those players are far and few between. That happened tonight when he scored 2 quick ones to give us the lead. 

If EP can start putting up points again, do i care that he falls down sometimes? 

If he can score 2 goals and falls down a few times a game, I'm pretty sure we win most of those games. If EP doesn't score those 2 goals today, we lose our 4th in a row. Now we go into Nashville with some mojo and optimism. You can thank Petey for that. 

This issue was that when he's not scoring he's not adding much to the team. His skill is there. His confidence wasnt. There was a play last game where he kicked the puck up to his stick. That was a great play using his natural instinct and skill set. He then lost the puck as it rolled off his stick. That was a "between the ears / lack of confidence" mistake. 

Like BB said, it takes a few games. I trust his judgment. BB said he was the hardest working player before covid. He felt like he was about to break through and then covid happened. He then said a couple games ago that its starting to come along and its not an instant thing. It'll build. 

He hit the post last game and then scored 2 today. 

Had it went post and in last game as well, wouldn't we be more optimistic that he's showing signs of life again? 

I'm excited that that we might be able to squeak into the playoffs with a red hot Petey

Yeah, aside from Demko being himself, the playmakers will also have to bury there chances, for the Canucks to have any chances to win there games.

Henrik Sedin first 4 seasons 

82 GP 29 pts

82 GP 36 pts

78 GP 39 pts

76 GP 42 pts

EP

71 GP 66 pts

68 GP 66 pts

26 GP 21 pts

38 GP 19 pts so far

I recall radio guys like Dan Russell posing a question of trading the Sedins for Vincent Lecavalier at the time (2 for 1 think) . Of course, at the time no one thought Hank would be become the greatest center in franchise history when he retired with 240 goals and 830 assists in 1,330 NHL games, ranking him as the Canucks' all-time leading points scorer.

The point is, EP has more talent than Hank, and both were deemed too small or not tough enough to be a great NHL player when they first started. Give him time to develop. He has all the elements to be the next franchise player just like Hank. He may not get there as fast as you like, but if he has the work ethic like Sedins, I don't see why he can't be even better.  

Here is another stud center for comparison. 

Nathan MacKinnon first 4 seasons

82 GP 63 pts

64 GP 38 pts

72 GP 52 pts

82 GP 53 pts

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Borderline Canuck said:

He hasn't looked good the whole road trip.  Looking like the OEL of the past two yrs.

Maybe he has a nagging injury? I am disappointed in OEL, I was expecting to have a D who could produce offense and be decent defensively...not 6pts in nearly half a season, that is atrocious! 

I want to see OEL and Hughes on PP1, Hughes the rover playmaker who passes and OEL can put the puck towards the net. He has a deceptive shot, not a Sami Salo howitzer but he has produced well offensively and on the PP on a dreadful Arizona team...should be a 35-50pt D man on the Canucks yearly at the very least

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Burroughs had his moments of lapses - especially, in the first two periods but the fight, was a welcome site against a big chippy team.

Burroughs takes chances like you said and sometimes too many that get him out of position...BUT I love the heart the guy plays with, not the biggest guy but he STANDS UP for his teammates and that is something we need to see MORE of! Love Burroughs as a 6/7D for us

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Burroughs takes chances like you said and sometimes too many that get him out of position...BUT I love the heart the guy plays with, not the biggest guy but he STANDS UP for his teammates and that is something we need to see MORE of! Love Burroughs as a 6/7D for us

Burroughs is like a much tougher Stecher.  

• Upvote 1