The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sunday, Jan 23/22 St. Louis Blues @ Vancouver Canucks 7:00 Rogers Arena SNPTV SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

Poor petey, having another tough game with the puck rolling off his stick three times tonight and getting easily knocked off the puck as usual.   Not sure what the heck is wrong with him but hope he breaks out of it soon and gets back to what we saw three seasons ago.   Fingers crossed he snaps out of it.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

It’s pretty normal for people to talk this way. Last year it was Hughes. “He’ll never be good defensively” 

Boeser and Petey are both 28 years old too 

There is an argument to be made regarding Hughes' defensive ability. There is a big difference between being good defensively, and having enough natural ability to be able to (sometimes) be able to catch up to the play after one has made a mistake.

regards,  G.

• Like 1

It's all about how you capitalize on scoring chances you were given, and that's exactly what we have been unable to do. 

Scoring goals is tough with half of the forwards sidelined. Still you gotta find a way to score more than a couple of goals to win, especially against the league's top teams. It'll be another heartbreaking night if we get nothing out of this game.

That said, I'm still proud of this team with the way they're playing their heart out.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He shouldn’t even be playing. Honestly what else can we expect with the roster we are icing? I thought one of these games would be a blowout so I am not even mad.

Exactly.

Even with Martin most people would have predicted a couple losses. We’re lucky to have gotten the 1 point yesterday. Let’s hope we can get at least one today.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, but if we lose I might have an aneurysm reading the PGT

I won’t be reading tonight’s. It’ll be all the people saying what this team lacks blah blah blah. Only missing the entire first line and starting goalie. You can’t argue with those people 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well, I think it has a lot to do with the quality of players on the others teams when compared to ours. We aren’t close to these teams yet and we have three top three players missing.

The reality of it is ,  no team has a second team to compete the way you are expecting.

At this shot count, we are competing better than the Oilers with every gun in their line up.

and the silver lining of it is , we have prospects playing good mins against a good team ,.   Every one is playing a 200ft game.

When would a player like Lamikko ever get the opportunity to cover Ryan OReily?.  
Lamikko is playing against him well, and winning face offs.

That will compound his self confidence and motivation by 100%

I hope Boudreau tells them to get out there and win ,  all costs,  green light it .

His F1 F2 for heck game is giving them headaches,.  Everything after that is no gap,.  And we’re picking it up on the up turn.

it’s a better game than the one your watching.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think we need an overhaul on the right side on defence. We’re not going to go very far with Myers, Poolman and Schenn.

Vintage, that was the conversation in the summer.  

If we look at the actual play on ice, right side of the defense hasn't really been an issue at all to me.  I've watched every single game this year and in my opinion the narrative about our defense needing upgrading has just not been true. 

For me the biggest issues have been the fact that we didn't get a third line center in Dickinson like we were hoping.  He's a good checking winger, but we needed a center.  With Sutter being out for the season, it really put a big hole in our lineup.  

We've seen the Canucks hang with the best teams in the league in the last seven games.  Our roster is good enough for a bubble playoff team. To get better we need a good bottom 6 center and we need our stars to be stars instead of pretty good.  

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Who else should be playing? The university guy? John Garrett

Give the university guy the 3rd periid at least. I mean if we are losing might as well give both Dipietro and university guy a chance and make his day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He shouldn’t even be playing. Honestly what else can we expect with the roster we are icing? I thought one of these games would be a blowout so I am not even mad.

Most of the team is punching above their weight class against a terrific Blues team.

Not expecting much really. If MD is an NHL prospect, it would be a nice story if he played lights out tonight. Might even get his career back on track.

• Vintage 1

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

Poor petey, having another tough game with the puck rolling off his stick three times tonight and getting easily knocked off the puck as usual.   Not sure what the heck is wrong with him but hope he breaks out of it soon and gets back to what we saw three seasons ago.   Fingers crossed he snaps out of it.

Fingers have been crossed all szn long. Just going to accept that it’s going to be a slump szn for him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I won’t be reading tonight’s. It’ll be all the people saying what this team lacks blah blah blah. Only missing the entire first line and starting goalie. You can’t argue with those people 

Maybe I'll drink first 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Pettersson really needs to remember what has  made him successful. His shot.

Why he keeps taking the puck to the boards where he’s obviously going to get outmuscled. Or trying to drive to the net rather than making a move outside and getting a shot away…

He’s clearly playing with more confidence than he was earlier in the season but he’s gotta play to his strengths. As soon as someone has him tied up the play is dead.

It was his relentless work ethic IMO that made him successful, but it's  been gone for so long I assume it's  gone for good