The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Émilie Castonguay as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

I like the addition of someone who has experience as an agent and can bring that sensibility to things.

This seems like the Chris Gear replacement, though I am sure the exact roles are going to be different with a lot more bodies in the room.

This also makes me thing the GM is already hired and just doing some finalizing of details, at this point of the GM hiring process you would think they would be involved in any AGM hires... just like Rutherford was basically hired before Boudreau and OKed him coming onboard.

or the new GM is just going to be the face of a management team and not in the mold of the traditional GM

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, hockeyville88 said:

Hi all, 

It's been years since I logged on to CDC (do we still call it that!?) during the day. As some of you veterans probably remember, I used to live on here during my university days. Not so much anymore as life has taken over just a bit.

Anyways, I had to hop on at the first opportunity since hearing this news, just to say that I have never been prouder to be a Canucks fan. I have given the team a lot of flack the past few years, for their on-ice performance and also for their, at times, lack of progressiveness when it comes to embracing change in hockey. I was concerned with the hiring of Jim Rutherford, that this trend would continue. After all, he is an older, Caucasian male, and so I could understand why he might not be the most progressive. 

Well, I am thrilled to have been wrong about that. The hiring of Émilie is a tremendous move for the Canucks. Everything I have heard about her is that she is knowledgeable and tenacious in her work. She knows the game and the business, and will bring that wealth of knowledge to our team. In addition, she gives hope and inspiration to many girls and even women like myself who always dreamt of playing pro hockey but never had the chance. I now work in pro sports. I love it, but I dream of the day I can work in pro women's sports. 

Yesterday, I went to buy new hockey gear. All the stuff I tried on didn't fit right. It was too tight in some places and enormous in others. I was complaining about this to the sales clerk and he went "why don't you just try some of the women's equipment?" I honestly had no idea that they made hockey equipment specific to women's bodies. The minute I tried on the pants, they fit perfectly. I sat there with tears in my eyes, watching an entire team of girls get fitted for gear, knowing that this is what progress looks like. 

This is a monumental day for women in sports, and the Canucks were behind it. I am so very proud. 

This won't prevent me from bashing Tyler Minors...Myers ^_^...the next time he takes a useless penalty, but my respect and loyalty for this club just went way up.

Well done Canucks.

Have a great day, all. 

Come bash Myers with me more often, I need the support, l9l. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

cut.jpg

Émilie Castonguay becomes the first female Assistant General Manager in team history:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President, Hockey Operations and Interim General Manager Jim Rutherford announced today that Émilie Castonguay has been named Assistant General Manager. Castonguay becomes the first female Assistant General Manager in team history.

Castonguay joins the Canucks from Momentum Hockey where she became the first female NHLPA Certified Agent in Canada in 2016, representing numerous players at all levels including the NHL, AHL, Junior and internationally.

"Émilie has extensive experience, is driven to succeed, and has a strong reputation in hockey for her intelligence and work ethic," said Rutherford. "She will play a lead role in player contracts and negotiation, managing the collective bargaining agreement, and her voice will be heard in all aspects of hockey operations. She will be a key member of our leadership team and we are pleased to welcome her to Vancouver."

"It is an honour to join the Vancouver Canucks and I am grateful to Jim and the Aquilini family for the opportunity," said Castonguay. "The Canucks have a passionate fanbase and an exciting young team with a bright future. I can't wait to help build a winning organization that continues to grow and challenges for championship."

Castonguay, who was named one of the 25 most powerful women in hockey by Sportsnet in 2020, played four years of NCAA Division 1 hockey at Niagara University, where she graduated with a bachelor's degree in finance in 2009 and won a National Scholar Athlete award for her success both on the ice and in the classroom. Following her studies at Niagara, she earned a law degree from l'Université de Montréal in 2012 and is a member of the Quebec Bar Association.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/emilie-castonguay-named-assistant-general-manager/c-330129258

Holy qualified batman. Impressive resume. Obviously a very driven personality.

I had seen some people on social media implying this was an equal opportunity or “woke” hire.

Look at this woman’s qualifications. This is a good hire in my opinion. Well done. 

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, hockeyville88 said:

Hi all, 

It's been years since I logged on to CDC (do we still call it that!?) during the day. As some of you veterans probably remember, I used to live on here during my university days. Not so much anymore as life has taken over just a bit.

Anyways, I had to hop on at the first opportunity since hearing this news, just to say that I have never been prouder to be a Canucks fan. I have given the team a lot of flack the past few years, for their on-ice performance and also for their, at times, lack of progressiveness when it comes to embracing change in hockey. I was concerned with the hiring of Jim Rutherford, that this trend would continue. After all, he is an older, Caucasian male, and so I could understand why he might not be the most progressive. 

Well, I am thrilled to have been wrong about that. The hiring of Émilie is a tremendous move for the Canucks. Everything I have heard about her is that she is knowledgeable and tenacious in her work. She knows the game and the business, and will bring that wealth of knowledge to our team. In addition, she gives hope and inspiration to many girls and even women like myself who always dreamt of playing pro hockey but never had the chance. I now work in pro sports. I love it, but I dream of the day I can work in pro women's sports. 

Yesterday, I went to buy new hockey gear. All the stuff I tried on didn't fit right. It was too tight in some places and enormous in others. I was complaining about this to the sales clerk and he went "why don't you just try some of the women's equipment?" I honestly had no idea that they made hockey equipment specific to women's bodies. The minute I tried on the pants, they fit perfectly. I sat there with tears in my eyes, watching an entire team of girls get fitted for gear, knowing that this is what progress looks like. 

This is a monumental day for women in sports, and the Canucks were behind it. I am so very proud. 

This won't prevent me from bashing Tyler Minors...Myers ^_^...the next time he takes a useless penalty, but my respect and loyalty for this club just went way up.

Well done Canucks.

Have a great day, all. 

welcome back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1