The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Émilie Castonguay as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

NEWS | Emilie Castonguay Availability

I watched that, she said something about loving to work with Allvin, is Allvin the new GM confirmed? Or did she accidentally slip that info out, would think it’s the latter.

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Big fan of the 007 at the end of her name. 100% approve, she's brining a cup to Vancouver guaranteed.

No but seriously, I absolutely love what she's saying. She sounds very knowledgeable and passionate. I do honestly believe she will be a massive asset to this organization. Well done JR, I'm so incredibly pumped on the moves he has made so far.

Agree.... All hail :)

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So what does "woke" have to do with it then?  That's the part that likely was hinting at more than just experience...sounds like a bit more going on here.

She doesn't own that history, wipe the slate clean and judge her by her actions, not those of others before her.  

Well I keep reading her experience and there’s not much to read, so could you please point out what makes her qualified to be an assistant GM in the NHL. Or is it just to get ahead of the curve, so they hire a young woman instead of an experienced and tenured man.. I have no problem with a woman in the role, as long as it’s deserved and not forced

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not to go all geeky but Q is back in Picard season 2. 
Okay, I want to get really geeky now.

Too bad William Campbell passed away a number of years ago.  Would've been cool to have 'Star Trek' have another version of the multiverse with both "Q" and "Trelane" in the same movie.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kylecanuck said:

Well I keep reading her experience and there’s not much to read, so could you please point out what makes her qualified to be an assistant GM in the NHL. Or is it just to get ahead of the curve, so they hire a young woman instead of an experienced and tenured man.. I have no problem with a woman in the role, as long as it’s deserved and not forced

She is experienced in contract negotiation and has a finance and law background which will help with the CBA.  She's got a better resume than Chris Gear did and no one questioned his qualifications.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I sure did, I have read the credentials of our last few GMs and head coaches too. They looked great!! Where has that left us? 

Well you can say this about literally any hire, so why did you comment "hope this isn't a woke moment" instead of just going with this comment? Lol. Cause you wanted to imply she got the job because she's a woman. Just admit it. It's fine. We'll think less of you for it. But it's good to be honest.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

She's arguably as equally qualified as the guy Montreal just hired to be their GM. She's 'only' an AGM here. I think we'll be ok.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

This answers my questions, thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 3

I like to see that we are bringing in a group and creating a lot of different view points. 
JR is rebuilding the entire team structure. Hope it keeps tricking down through player development.

Do Hockey teams have a scouting department for scouts and management?  Do they depend on head hunters?  Do they just work it through the old boys network?

Genuinely curious.  Or, is it just the Rolodex that JR has built over the decades of work?

Edited by DrJockitch