The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Flames / Sat., Jan. 29/22 / 7:00 PM (Hockey Day In Canada)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Should be a rumble. Can't wait to see the Nucks take it to the lames in CBC. Hoping Bo is back and goes into beast mode, crashing the net and bashing pukes.

GCG

Yes, and throws a big hit on Tanev… our team doesn’t hit him nearly as much as they should. He used to get hit big to make a play at least once every game while playing for us.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I've told this story before, but here's the condensed version of why HDIC will always be so special to me.

Mom was in the final stretch of terminal brain cancer, in palliative.  Mostly disconnected from reality by that point, but had glimpses of her here and there.  Very brief and very emotional.

I snuck in one day and her curtains were drawn and it was dark and quiet in her room...I pulled down the little hospital TV and turned it on, muted, to watch HDIC.   

Mom stirred.

Canucks were playing the Leafs and I was being mindful not to fully wake her, but all of a sudden she sat up in her bed, squinted to see the TV and said "is that Trevor Linden"?  (It was).  

"Yes Mom, it is" tears rolling down my cheeks.  It would be one of our last moments really "together".  I will never forget it...hockey/sports was our thing.

She laid back down and closed her eyes to sleep.  All was right in her world, if even just for a moment.

(Why do I love Trevor Linden/my team so much?  So many reasons, but she is the driving force in that)

There's that damn tear rolling down my cheek again.  Miss you Mom.

EDIT:  This was that amazing game summary from the last day Mom and I would hockey together:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/270113021

I love it.

Mine isn't nearly as emotional but I'll share it.

It was a nice spring day in May and low and behold I was hung over. I was walking the sea wall with the wife. Who comes are the corner?

Now remember I am one big scary dude and I am hung over. He looks over and we make eye contact. He knows right away I know who he is. I start shaking the wife's hand "hey look who it is!".

He could see how excited I was and he literally started giggling. He even put his hand over his mouth trying to hide his laughter. But what am I supposed to do? I'm a grown man I'm not going to intrupt his day.

The wife says "hey, how are you doing?"....he responded "good thanks and you" he could barley contain his laughter, and he continued on his way. 

He knew I didn't want to bother him and was thankful, but he also knew he was my favorite player.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flipper said:

So far so good, haven’t heard from Ticketmaster that we can’t go so my son and I will be at the game cheering on the team. Go Canucks go!

Best check to make sure, before you get there; it can be crushing, especially for kids, to find out "No Go" at the gate.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Best check to make sure, before you get there; it can be crushing, especially for kids, to find out "No Go" at the gate.

Good call. I emailed the flames office this week and they said if you don’t hear by Thursday you’re good to go. I haven’t heard and I’ve been checking my Ticketmaster account and nothing so far. My kid is 17 so he won’t be crushed, just a bit disappointed. We’ve been to games before. It’s the 2 hour drive to Calgary that’s a killer if we don’t get in.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I've told this story before, but here's the condensed version of why HDIC will always be so special to me.

Mom was in the final stretch of terminal brain cancer, in palliative.  Mostly disconnected from reality by that point, but had glimpses of her here and there.  Very brief and very emotional.

I snuck in one day and her curtains were drawn and it was dark and quiet in her room...I pulled down the little hospital TV and turned it on, muted, to watch HDIC.   

Mom stirred.

Canucks were playing the Leafs and I was being mindful not to fully wake her, but all of a sudden she sat up in her bed, squinted to see the TV and said "is that Trevor Linden"?  (It was).  

"Yes Mom, it is" tears rolling down my cheeks.  It would be one of our last moments really "together".  I will never forget it...hockey/sports was our thing.

She laid back down and closed her eyes to sleep.  All was right in her world, if even just for a moment.

(Why do I love Trevor Linden/my team so much?  So many reasons, but she is the driving force in that)

There's that damn tear rolling down my cheek again.  Miss you Mom.

EDIT:  This was that amazing game summary from the last day Mom and I would hockey together:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/270113021

Ah Deb, much love your way. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Ah Deb, much love your way. 

Thank you my friend. She was an amazing woman and I miss her so much, but her spirit certainly burns on. 

EDIT: lol just realized...BRIGHTER THAN THE CALGARY FLAMES  

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1