The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Flames / Sat., Jan. 29/22 / 7:00 PM (Hockey Day In Canada)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

She was one helluva woman. Played poker with Gino and blackjack with Sammy Davis Jr. 

LOVED sports...it's where I get it from. I grew up hearing her celebrate goals, nice shots, etc.  Didn't matter what time a game/match was on, she was all in.

She loved people (and they loved her back).  Unconditionally, without judgement, everyone was always welcome in our home (there's a funny story about that too, but it's not the right time/place for it).

Thanks my friend.

Other than the love of sports, I am in the same boat my mom was the same and sadly she is no longer with us.

Now it is our home that everyone gathers at, and there are a few funny stories that can come from that lol.

All the best

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonoman said:

83157B8B-583C-4AFF-BBF9-DA5DA73BD8EA.jpeg

That was the first game I had ever gone to.  Sat right behind the Flames bench and at the time I was a Flames fan.....and apparently a dumb kid.

It was a total blowout started by Linden ripping a slapshot over Vernon's shoulder from just inside the blueline.

Now that I cheer for the right team, let's do it again!!!

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Darius said:

What I remember from that game (beside the 11-0 drubbing) were the fights.

we need another Gerald Diduck!! Kruse looks like a pro typical flame with his haircut lol

That rivalry had gotten so intense, with both gloves on, and gloves off.

This game signaled that from here on, the Canucks were the best, and left no doubt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Wow, Calgary's top ten forwards have missed a combined one game so far this season ; their top five defensemen have missed a total of two games. Extraordinary health.

bUt TaNeV iS MAde of gLaSS!!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, LesPaul81 said:

That was the first game I had ever gone to.  Sat right behind the Flames bench and at the time I was a Flames fan.....and apparently a dumb kid.

It was a total blowout started by Linden ripping a slapshot over Vernon's shoulder from just inside the blueline.

Now that I cheer for the right team, let's do it again!!!

Spoiler

Trip Down Canuckery Lane: Vancouver 11, Calgary 0

Author of the article:
Mike Halford

In this KB initiative, we normally look at a former Canucklehead whose fabric is sewn into Vancouver’s hockey quilt. But today, we take a different approach. In anticipation of the big home-and-home series against Calgary, we recall one of the most famous victories in Canuck history.

March 1, 1992 – Canucks 11, Calgary 0

Trip Down Canuckery Lane: Vancouver 11, Calgary 0
1991_canucks.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=

Story:  Ahhh , archived NHL summaries.

Where would we be without you?

The following AP recap is from the  New York Times 

Canucks Romp, 11-0. The Vancouver Canucks recorded the biggest margin of victory in their history and handed the Calgary Flames their worst loss ever, scoring six power-play goals on the way to an 11-0 victory yesterday in Vancouver. Surprisingly, the Flames outshot the Canucks, 30-28. Trevor Linden, Garry Valk and Sergio Momesso scored two goals each for Vancouver, which tied a team record for goals in a game.

Place in Canuck Lore: The victory still stands as the most lopsided in Vancouver’s history, and produced the greatest boxscore in franchise history. Check this out:

Calgary Flames (25-30-9) 0 0 0 – 0
Vancouver Canucks (35-20-9) 3 4 4 – 11

1st period:
VAN, Linden (27th) – (Lidster, Fergus) (pp) 6:36
VAN, Momesso (14th) – 10:42
VAN, Momesso (15th) – (Sandlak) 14:51

2nd period:
VAN, Valk (6th) – (Lidster, Fergus) (pp) 3:31
VAN, Bure (20th) – (Diduck, Murzyn) (pp) 13:46
VAN, Valk (7th) – (Babych) (pp) 15:07
VAN, Sandlak (12th) – (Momesso, Ronning) 18:54

3rd period:
VAN, Ronning (22nd) – (Momesso, Sandlak) 0:36
VAN, Fergus (12th) – (Linden, Lumme) (pp) 1:44
VAN, Lumme (12th) – (Larionov, Bure) 10:46
VAN, Linden (28th) – (Diduck, Ronning) (pp) 17:15

Powerplay Opportunities
Flames 0 of 3
Canucks 6 of 10

Shots on Goal
Flames 10 7 13 – 30
Canucks 6 10 12 – 28

Calgary Flames
Vernon (22-25-7) (6 shots – 3 saves)
Reese (0:00 second) (22 shots – 14 saves)

Vancouver Canucks
McLean (33-14-7) (30 shots – 30 saves)

ATT-16,123

Damn, that’s impressive. Just look at some of this stuff – Jim Sandlak had more points (three) than Pavel Bure (two). During a 7:58 stretch between the second and third periods, the Canucks scored five times. Tom Fergus (!!) dominated the power play. Jeff Reese let in eight goals and didn’t get tagged with a loss. What a game.

Epilogue: This was back in the good ol’ days, where an embarrassing loss meant heads were gonna roll. True to form, Calgary coach Doug Risebrough resigned immediately after the game and was replaced by assistant Guy Charron. The Flames went on to finish fifth in the Smythe and missed the playoffs for the first time since moving from Atlanta.

Vancouver, meanwhile, won the division and defeated the Winnipeg Jets – holding Pat Elynuik and Luciano Borsato to a mere four points combined! – in the playoffs before losing to Edmonton. The Canucks then went on to dominate the NHL Awards. Bure won the Calder, Pat Quinn won the Jack Adams, Ryan Walter won the Bud Light Man of the Year (quenching the thirsty spirit, we suppose) while Kirk McLean was the runner-up for the Vezina.

Short of a Cup run, could the 1991-92 season have been any better? If you were to guarantee modern Canucks fans a season featuring A) total destruction of Calgary leading to Mike Keenan’s dismissal, B) a second-round playoff appearance and C) four players nominated for trophies, they would take it in a heartbeat.

Sigh. This is the problem with retrospection. Everything was better back in the day.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuKdNGEdbPk]

The secret contents are a "Trip Down Canuckery Lane" article.

Edited by Goal:thecup
Forgot to credit the author.