The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Review of GMJB's Trades - He Did Well!

Rate this topic

HKSR

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

So I went ahead and reviewed each and every one of GMJB's trades as a Canuck.  Contrary to what many of you have been saying, he won far more trades than he lost. 

In fact, the way I look at it, he won 23 trades, lost 7 of them, and the other 20 were really insignificant or were fair for both teams.  Have a look yourself...

0001.thumb.jpg.09b49bcc0776512f8028dd1eeeaba378.jpg0002.thumb.jpg.6718444a7330dfb0f8176053d422b488.jpg0003.thumb.jpg.86764f3bdd29cce6d1d32fa155e2436b.jpg0004.thumb.jpg.67674898477ca15c019deaca02cf29c4.jpg

The Land Of Make Believe Wow GIF

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I personally prefer Klimovich as well due to his size, but it's simply too early to tell.  I'm not going to pretend my opinion is fact.

Sigh.  JB missed out on Sillinger as well.  He'll likely be better than Klim and Guenther.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I would have taken Svechkov in the first round and Stankoven in the second.

I'm sure Svech will be a good player, but we'll probably have to wait 2 yrs to see in NA.  Meanwhile, Sillinger is already playing in the NHL and doing very well for an 18yr old. I don't mind Klim as the 2nd pick.

Just now, higgyfan said:

I'm sure Svech will be a good player, but we'll probably have to wait 2 yrs to see in NA.  Meanwhile, Sillinger is already playing in the NHL and doing very well for an 18yr old. I don't mind Klim as the 2nd pick.

Oh I don't either, I'm just going off who I would have picked at the time without the benefit of hindsight. I obviously do like what Klim brings and was fine with the pick at the time.

36 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Obtaining Schmidt for a 3rd round pick was a good trade.  People all over the hockey world even said it was a great trade.  It wasn't GMJB's fault that Green couldn't get anything out of Schmidt considering he was a top pairing defender on Vegas.

Are we judging these trades in hindsight or not? Seems you're doing both tbh. It seemed a good trade at the time, didn't work out and got an equivalent pick back but can't really give him 2 Ws for it. Ultimately Green being Schmidt's coach was Benning's fault, but I'll try and keep my crtique to trades.

By the time GMJB had to trade Schmidt, he was nowhere near the calibre of player he was on Vegas, yet he still got his 3rd round pick back.  Hence a W.

It was only a year latter and Schmidt is still a very similar player. I've not followed him that closely, but IMO he was a 2nd pair offensive D-man in Vegas and is a 2nd pair offensive D-man in Winnipeg.

We can't cherry pick on draft picks.  Fact is, that pick turned into McKeown.  That is FACT.  So there was no loss there, otherwise we could easily say every draft pick that VAN received COULD HAVE been this guy or that guy.  It goes both ways.

The pick only turned into McKeown because LA had it. That too is a FACT. The loss was the % chance at a good NHL player.

If the Toffoli trade had been the other way around would you really call it a draw bordering on a loss?

You think Benning "won far more trades than he lost", I disagree but I doubt I can convince you.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Are we judging these trades in hindsight or not? Seems you're doing both tbh. It seemed a good trade at the time, didn't work out and got an equivalent pick back but can't really give him 2 Ws for it. Ultimately Green being Schmidt's coach was Benning's fault, but I'll try and keep my crtique to trades.

It was only a year latter and Schmidt is still a very similar player. I've not followed him that closely, but IMO he was a 2nd pair offensive D-man in Vegas and is a 2nd pair offensive D-man in Winnipeg.

The pick only turned into McKeown because LA had it. That too is a FACT. The loss was the % chance at a good NHL player.

If the Toffoli trade had been the other way around would you really call it a draw bordering on a loss?

You think Benning "won far more trades than he lost", I disagree but I doubt I can convince you.

The problem is, with draft picks, you can't cherry pick on what player was chosen.  We have to go with who was actually selected.  For example, do we go to the Bieksa for 2nd trade and say the Canucks win it because they could have picked Adam Fox?  No.  We don't because that's not who was selected.

Schmidt was terrible with Vancouver, yet GMJB still managed to convince WPG to give us their 3rd for him.  That's why I gave him the W.

I would agree with a good chunk of your assessment. Context is key for alot of them. The OEL/Garland trade can be considered a WIN in the now, though there is a distinct probability that this deal will end terribly. The same can be said with the Baertschi trade. In the short term, you can argue that it was a win, though I'm sure the Canucks are kicking themselves for missing out on Andersson (provided Andersson was even on their radar...) or a similar prospect. 

Similarly, there are some trades that you consider draws, such as the Dahlen for Karlsson deal, that can be argued as losses. Dahlen actually has an NHL sample whereas Karlsson has only just started producing in the SHL. Time will tell on that trade but in the current moment this is a clear win for San Jose at least in this moment.

Thank you for putting this together. It's great to see the visual of JB's trade record. Let me know if you're putting together something similar with Free Agency and if you need assistance.

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't mind Klim as the 2nd pick.

To this point, I don't know if they could have done any better at 40. Maybe there's a handful of players that would have made slightly better picks, but let's not quibble, amirite...? What he's doing in the A right now for someone who barely knows English and had never been to NA before is extremely impressive. Love the pick. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

The problem is, with draft picks, you can't cherry pick on what player was chosen.  We have to go with who was actually selected.  For example, do we go to the Bieksa for 2nd trade and say the Canucks win it because they could have picked Adam Fox?  No.  We don't because that's not who was selected.

Schmidt was terrible with Vancouver, yet GMJB still managed to convince WPG to give us their 3rd for him.  That's why I gave him the W.

Just going to play devils advocate here... you've literally done that exact thing on some of your trade evaluations.  See 2nd for Vey evaluation for example.

12 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Just going to play devils advocate here... you've literally done that exact thing on some of your trade evaluations.  See 2nd for Vey evaluation for example.

Not really.  I don't refer to the 2nd as a 2nd round pick.  I am comparing Vey to McKeown.

The other poster was picking a different player with the draft pick involved. 

6 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

My main issue is OEL's contract. One of the worse contracts in the league, probably #2 to Jeff Skinner's contract 

There are a number of dubious contracts out there...

Price Montreal

Seth Jones Chicago

Kevin Hayes Flyers

Binnington St Louis

Blake Coleman Calgary

Erik Karlsson San Jose

OEL's isnt great but its not the second worst...I fully agree with you that Skinners contract is horrific, there is nothing bout that contract that is palatable!!!! Its a full NMC contract at $9M for a further 5 years after this year , he is a lifetime -138 (plus /minus) , scored 40 goals in a season just once and has never been a point a game player in a season. How he got that contract absolutely amazes me. 

Any title that says Benning did well I do not agree with:bigblush:

High costs and wrong timing for everything he did

I have agreed with JR's assessment (for a long time) that this team is not (and wasn't being) constructed properly (and JR should know)

Not to say that everything JB did was bad, but he certainly did not have the midas touch in constructing a cup team or timing for one and for that i will not pump his tires

Just so glad we have a management team with experience who put a value on communicating to one another and relying on each others opinion  

We have a chance to be elite again  and hope we get there

Question is, will this team be given 8 years at the helm?:P

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, alucard said:

Waiting for a review of Benning FA signings, like to see that table.

the money he splashed for nothing over and over again.

If my boss is busy on Monday, I'll try to sneak in a free agency chart lol

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Don't see why.  Would look at the players available at that pick till Vancouver picks next.  

Teams typically have 40 players or so on their draft lists  - they don't rank every prospects but the ones that interest them yet over 200 players get picked each year.  Teams don't have the same draft lists.

7 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Context will help here.

I was just in concussion bad mood. My bad..

I knew but some times it just puts me in irritable mood and I recognize later..

Cheers my friend. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2