The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forward Lines (discussion)

Rate this topic

Sedintwinpowersactivate

Now we have a healthy lineup and before Rutherford starts trading players I was hoping to see an extended period of these Lines.

Garland  Petey   Podkozin 

Boeser.   Miller.   Pearson

Dickinson .  Horvat.   Hoglander 

Highmore.    Lammikko.  Motte

Our offence has dried up.  We really need 3 scoring lines and one energy line.  We have to get back to the way we played when Boudreau first came on.  Petal to the metal and play in the other teams zone.  

What combinations do you guys want?  Let’s discuss what your looking for in the second half.

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate
  • Cheers 1

I'll comment specifically regarding Petey, I'm not sure whether PPG (Pod - Pete - Garland) really helps him much more than the Lotto Line (which at least as Miller playing very well).  Of course Pearson - Miller - Boeser did have its moments as a heavier line that was tough to play against but I hope coach adjusts the lines depending on who's on the opposing defense and who's playing well that game.  

Btw I do like the look of Motte - Horvat - Hoglander, I think they could have shutdown line potential.  
P.S. I just noticed that you don't have Dickinson at all... is he a $2.65 million healthy scratch??  He can at least help defensively on Horvat's wing i.m.o.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'll comment specifically regarding Petey, I'm not sure whether PPG (Pod - Pete - Garland) really helps him much more than the Lotto Line (which at least as Miller playing very well).  Of course Pearson - Miller - Boeser did have its moments as a heavier line that was tough to play against but I hope coach adjusts the lines depending on who's on the opposing defense and who's playing well that game.  

Btw I do like the look of Motte - Horvat - Hoglander, I think they could have shutdown line potential.  
P.S. I just noticed that you don't have Dickinson at all... is he a $2.65 million healthy scratch??  He can at least help defensively on Horvat's wing i.m.o.

Ok fixed.  I guess Dickinson maybe an after thought.  An expensive anchor thanks to JB.

I would like to see them try Highmore and Motte on scoring lines.  They each seem to cause so many turnovers and chances.  Why do I think the team would be better if they played with guys who could put the puck in the net.   

Highmore Miller Boeser

Motte Horvat Garland

Dickenson Petey Hoglander

Pearson Lamikko Podkolzin

I think all 4 those lines can turn pucks over, defend, drive play, and score.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Horvát is a 24--28 G  and 55--60 point guy playing a 200 foot game.. We have to be careful we don't get him playing with wingers with no scoring touch..

Example is Pearson 12--15 G guy now... I do like Motte --Horvat -- Hoglander speed and talent..

Motte could be a 15--18 G guy playing 3rd line minutes....14--16 mins

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Ok fixed.  I guess Dickinson maybe an after thought.  An expensive anchor thanks to JB.

Dickinson is a real good forechecker, problem being that seems to be one of the only things he is real good at. 

I keep wondering at what point does Petey get scratched? He has got a few points in recent games but still oft look disinterested and gives the puck up every time he is challenged. He just seems to have lost his killer instict and goes through the motions on far too many shifts.

• Like 1

To be honest, we played our best hockey when we were rolling 3 solid lines rather than 2. I quite like the idea of splitting up our stars and mixing and matching. Right now they're not working too well but I'd try something like this:

Boeser - Miller - Pearson

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Dickinson - Pettersson - Garland

Highmore - Lammikko - Motte

That way each line has a mix of shooter (Boeser, Podz, Petey, Motte), a playmaker/passer (Miller, Hoglander, Garland) and a gritty guy who can cover defensively (Pearson, Horvat, Dickinson). Could easily swap Motte and Dickinson there too if Dickinson is sucking the offensive life out of Petey and Garland.

Load them up on the PP, sure, but other teams are going to struggle to match up against those lines, especially considering that "4th" line can basically check other team's top lines and give them plenty to worry about on the forecheck as well. Most of the time then Petey and Garland will be matched up against other team's 3rd pairings...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Horvát is a 24--28 G  and 55--60 point guy playing a 200 foot game.. We have to be careful we don't get him playing with wingers with no scoring touch..

Example is Pearson 12--15 G guy now... I do like Motte --Horvat -- Hoglander speed and talent..

Motte could be a 15--18 G guy playing 3rd line minutes....14--16 mins

I think that, just like it was with Loui Player Name, his line could be solid with Dickinson on one wing and Hoglander on the other.
If Pearson - Miller - Boeser can be a tough minutes big line and Podkolzin - Petey - Garland can find their offensive touch, having Dickinson - Horvat - Hoglander and Motte - Lammikko - Highmore as bottom-6 shutdown lines with some offensive ability wouldn't be so bad.  Games are also easier to win if defenses aren't porous and if they receive the help they need and both these units can provide support.  

Edited by Phil_314

Garland Miller Pod a very tenacious scoring line to overwhelm with pressure. 

Hog Bo Boeser Love the chem Bo and Brock have and Hog does all the things Baertschi couldn't. 

Dicki Pete Pearson this is a good line for Pete to get his game back on track 2 very good 2 way wingers with the offence running through Pete. 

Highmore Lammi Motte Can't break up the Mottely crew. 

Lockwood is it Lockwood time yet? 

Edited by hammertime

I agree to keep Highmore, Lammikko, Motte line.b Its quite good recently.

The main player I am thinking is Petey, would like to put two young players: Pod and Hog as his wings. It might become a fast, skill, score line.

Keep JT with Boeser and Pearson, this line looks quite good.

Bo will be with Dickson and Garland, that will be a hard working line.

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We can't have 3 scoring lines AND our Motte Highmore Lamm line because Dickinson is an offensive black hole and is absolutely useless

At this point, all I hope from Dickinson is be hard on the puck, be physical, and be good defensively.

Horvat is our match up center and although Horvat deserves better linemates, I would put Dickinson on Horvat's wing for and use them primarily for match ups.

That gives us two scoring lines (Miller and EP), one match up line that will erase minutes of the opposition's best players (Horvat), and the energy line (Lammikko).

9 hours ago, GB5 said:

Dickinson is a real good forechecker, problem being that seems to be one of the only things he is real good at. 

I keep wondering at what point does Petey get scratched? He has got a few points in recent games but still oft look disinterested and gives the puck up every time he is challenged. He just seems to have lost his killer instict and goes through the motions on far too many shifts.

Agree, Petey has a poor ability to create room for himself, when he gets the puck, he just cannot skate out of the trouble, he needs two wingers who can create room for him to shoot the puck, they tried Hoglander and Garland with him, those two are great skaters, create lots room for him, but the problem is, when he loses the puck, this line backcheck is bad,

• Like 1

Not to nit pick but noticing quite a few of these line combos' have guys playing the wrong side.  

That said i agree that we are better off rolling four lines.    Use the 3C's we have, and don't touch Mottes line, it's been great for us. 

On 2/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Now we have a healthy lineup and before Rutherford starts trading players I was hoping to see an extended period of these Lines.

Garland  Petey   Podkozin 

Boeser.   Miller.   Pearson

Dickinson .  Horvat.   Hoglander 

Highmore.    Lammikko.  Motte

Our offence has dried up.  We really need 3 scoring lines and one energy line.  We have to get back to the way we played when Boudreau first came on.  Petal to the metal and play in the other teams zone.  

What combinations do you guys want?  Let’s discuss what your looking for in the second half.

none of your top line are top line players at this time

one of your 2nd line is a 2nd line player at theis time

3rd looks good,

4th is ok but maybe a bit small

2 hours ago, lmm said:

none of your top line are top line players at this time

one of your 2nd line is a 2nd line player at theis time

3rd looks good,

4th is ok but maybe a bit small

What do you think of EP Horvat Garland?   

Huberdeau is leading the league in scoring right now and plays on Florida's second line 5 x 5....and with all the line combo's this year between Green and Bruce it's been tough to really get into what's our first second third line at times.   Sure Miller is our leading scorer, but Garland has matched and for most of the year actually out produced him 5 x  5....EPs been a black hole 5 x 5 but before this season nobody would say he's a second line player with a straight face anyways.    Rookie year he was killing it with Goldobin lol.   

Based on pure production, Horvat is a good second line C.   Miller a good first line LW/C and last year BB was a good/decent first line RW, same with his rookie season....If your 12-14th in league scoring for a RW, that puts you in the decent/good range doesn't it?    Just going off the last three seasons, we've got a decent top six, and a decent top 9...

If Miller gets traded, that could force us to use Horvat as our first line C at least until EPs out of his funk.   Which makes me curious what loading up a line with EP/Horvat/Garland or BB might look like ...also because Pearson could be traded next season for cap space ...Brock has had some great games with Horvat ...  Garland is creative and elusive .... really like his game.    

19 hours ago, IBatch said:

What do you think of EP Horvat Garland?   

Huberdeau is leading the league in scoring right now and plays on Florida's second line 5 x 5....and with all the line combo's this year between Green and Bruce it's been tough to really get into what's our first second third line at times.   Sure Miller is our leading scorer, but Garland has matched and for most of the year actually out produced him 5 x  5....EPs been a black hole 5 x 5 but before this season nobody would say he's a second line player with a straight face anyways.    Rookie year he was killing it with Goldobin lol.   

Based on pure production, Horvat is a good second line C.   Miller a good first line LW/C and last year BB was a good/decent first line RW, same with his rookie season....If your 12-14th in league scoring for a RW, that puts you in the decent/good range doesn't it?    Just going off the last three seasons, we've got a decent top six, and a decent top 9...

If Miller gets traded, that could force us to use Horvat as our first line C at least until EPs out of his funk.   Which makes me curious what loading up a line with EP/Horvat/Garland or BB might look like ...also because Pearson could be traded next season for cap space ...Brock has had some great games with Horvat ...  Garland is creative and elusive .... really like his game.    

I don't like it.  The EP, Horvat combo has not looked good at all IMO.  I would rather have 3 lines that teams have to worry about instead of just having 2.

• Cheers 1