The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Mark my words, there is no chance in hell...with any GM that we are getting a 1st or 2nd straight across for Myers. 

I don't think anyone is discussing a first straight across for Myers though. We're talking about taking Muzzin's LTIR and/or guys like Holl back. 

I don't know if that's worth a first (even a likely late one), but it's certainly not going to cost us anything and should be worth a fair bit more than a mid round pick.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think anyone is discussing a first straight across for Myers though. We're talking about taking Muzzin's LTIR and/or guys like Holl back. 

I don't know if that's worth a first (even a likely late one), but it's certainly not going to cost us anything and should be worth a fair bit more than a mid round pick.

Retain 50% on Myers (no big deal, we're gonna suck next year too) and take on crap like LTIR or Holl and I think a 1st is not out of the question at all.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still like the idea of Miller to the Isles for something around Bailey+ or to the BJ's for something around Miller plus more cap for Voracek+. I think there are options out there, it's just we likely won't get the return many of us were hoping for back towards the trade deadline.

Chytil, Lundqvist, and a 1st sure looks good right now considering Lundqvist wound up being traded for a 1st himself. 

Voracek plus a key RD prospect like Peeke, Ceulemans or maybe even Jiricek is the way to go in my mind.  Voracek if healthy can nearly provide the offence Miller does and gives us a second chance to flip him retained for another package in two years.  Works for both teams very well.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still like the idea of Miller to the Isles for something around Bailey+ or to the BJ's for something around Miller plus more cap for Voracek+. I think there are options out there, it's just we likely won't get the return many of us were hoping for back towards the trade deadline.

Chytil, Lundqvist, and a 1st sure looks good right now considering Lundqvist wound up being traded for a 1st himself. 

We can thank our owner.  His directive to have no "rebuilding" type deals continues to stop us from becoming a top team.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Voracek plus a key RD prospect like Peeke, Ceulemans or maybe even Jiricek is the way to go in my mind.  Voracek if healthy can nearly provide the offence Miller does and gives us a second chance to flip him retained for another package in two years.  Works for both teams very well.

Yup, if Voracek's production is anywhere near respectable we could just flip him at 50% at next season's deadline. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

hmm. Thats a tough one for me. Credibility is really hard to build back once its gone. Its not like the difference in deals will be all that much between one team or another, maybe a slight shift in where in the bottom 1/4 of the 1st round, maybe a different prospect position? not sure its worth it to dump him without any consultation. Its 7 years of the guys life and his kids, have to remember there's a family involved too. 

I don't see this as being much different than what Philly did with Carter and Richards.  They were still able to sign guys after.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't see this as being much different than what Philly did with Carter and Richards.  They were still able to sign guys after.

I'd have to go back and look - was it the same situation, being traded prior to the extension with no consultation?

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Any pick would be better.  I wouldn't claim Liljegren from waivers though.  His main talent is playing like complete trash in his own zone and skill getting coaches to let him on the ice.

Did this guy steal your partner or something dude? Like the hate is so clear hahaha. I don't know the player well, but from what I've heard he is decent with some upside. I'd take him in a trade involving us dumping Meyers cap hit too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Did this guy steal your partner or something dude? Like the hate is so clear hahaha. I don't know the player well, but from what I've heard he is decent with some upside. I'd take him in a trade involving us dumping Meyers cap hit too. 

Posting trash from jfresh isn't going to convince me as the game is played on the ice instead of a spreadsheet made by don't analytics dweeb.  I've seen him play enough to understand that his defensive zone play is simply not acceptable.   I do have a much lower tolerance for defencemen who can't play defence than many on here though.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Posting trash from jfresh isn't going to convince me as the game is played on the ice instead of a spreadsheet made by don't analytics dweeb.  I've seen him play enough to understand that his defensive zone play is simply not acceptable.   I do have a much lower tolerance for defencemen who can't play defence than many on here though.

Do you think Hughes is trash then? Cause Hughes is one of our worst defenseman, defensively.

11 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

They are all professionals, they understand it is a business. 
EP will do what he sees as best for EP.  Holding on to Miller continuing to lose by continuing the Benning plan of pushing to maintain mediocrity is more likely to push EP to want to leave.  If I am a player I want to be on the team that doesn’t worry about every nicety and does what it takes to win.  The players are not necessarily as invested emotionally in the teams as the fans. How many people really feel passionate about their employers?

So you think players for example are ok with signing a below market rate at a no tax states and then suddenly get traded before their nmc kicks in to a city with max tax? I’m all for trading miller, but he ain’t moving unless he’s consulted and ok with it to a city of his choice. There have been 0 players in any league that iirc traded a player they just extended for max terms traded against the players wish before their nmc kicks in in sporting history. Just because they can doesn’t mean they will. Not if they don’t ask the player and do it against their wish and especially one of your top players 

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's nowhere close to that bad though.  He's at least NHL quality in his own zone.

Yup.  Big NHL D, who can play offensive and move the puck at Quinn’s level are rare.  Hedman?  Josi?  Young Doughty?  So we have a guy in Quinn who is smaller but is fabulous at moving the puck.  Just like Makar, Quinn needs a partner todo the things his size restricts him from.  Like stopping the cycle, and moving bodies.  Schenn is doing really well filling that roll.  But we definitely need a guy to fill that role long term.  Hell, if we could find three big bodied D who could all move the puck like Quinn we’d be in a great spot.  But those guys are super rare. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

But we definitely need a guy to fill that role long term.  Hell, if we could find three big bodied D who could all move the puck like Quinn we’d be in a great spot.  But those guys are super rare. 

Buffalo. Lucky ducks have Dahlin, Power and Mattias Samuelson (IR). On paper they have a lot of talent up front and on D. Young talent too. If they can somehow add a legit 1 goalie, they could pull a NJ as early as next year.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Buffalo. Lucky ducks have Dahlin, Power and Mattias Samuelson (IR). On paper they have a lot of talent up front and on D. Young talent too. If they can somehow add a legit 1 goalie, they could pull a NJ as early as next year.

Dahlin is craperolla!  That guy is a bustaroo.  Power is their best D man, and it ain’t even close.  

On 11/17/2022 at 3:10 PM, aGENT said:

Disagree. IMO, it's all about complementary skill sets. It's the MAJOR blind spot Benning had here and you can see it throughout the horribly ill fitting roster we have. And the evidence is watching players leave here and go on to success elsewhere, when put in positions to succeed. There's a hell of a lot more to building a good NHL team than simply acquiring good players. You actually need a plan, an identity, roles, appropriate line mates/partners etc.

Like I said elsewhere, I think he'd make a great 2nd pair with a guy like McNabb. Myers could bring the secondary offense, McNabb would play solid D and cover for the occasional chaos (giraffe) that leads to, and they'd likely be a physical force and major PITA to play against. But we don't have a McNabb and we're unlikely to get one with Hughes and OEL on the roster.

And FWIW, I don't disagree. He's not a fit with the rest of the D core at all and is preventing us from fixing our top 4. Ill fit =/= bad player though.

Think we feel the same way about him? Confused start off by saying you disagree then end with I don’t disagree haha.

On our team he’s not a fit in the top 4 and isn’t good enough to carry a guy on the bottom pairing. 

think we agree here