The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

56 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, totally agree.  But he also can get us a very good young prospect.  We can put a bandaid on the situation and try and still remain competitive or we can sell high on Myers, Miller and Motte and get as much as we can right now.  We can fill holes later in free agency.  If we keep Myers what happens after his contract is up and he's 34?  We got nothing in the pipeline to replace him.

No totally agree on that, we need something in return, like a very good prospect or very good pick, I doubt we will be contending anything the next year or two, at which time Myers will be off the books regardless, so might as well make the generation change now... and get something in return. Also gives the prospect/pick time to develop...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I'm tired of kicking the can down the road.  I want to start winning right now, or at least try to.  I don't want any major trades unless it makes us better immediately.  What we really need is more toughness.  Gretzky had his Semenko and that's the kind of player that you need Petey, y'know to get your mojo back.  People tend to forget or downplay the importance of a player like Semenko in the success of a player like Gretzky, especially in "today's NHL".  The thing is that it isn't that different.  NHL playoffs are still an all out war and we need the muscle to back up the skill.  The thing is that it's the skill part that is the hardest to acquire.  And we've already done that.  We lack the muscle to back it up, but that's relatively easy to acquire.  We need more backbone, not more "prospects".  We have lots of good young talent right now.  We shouldn't be throwing in the towel just yet.  I don't think that Myers is untouchable, if we get a good return then fine.  But he's a useful piece right now and I don't want to get any smaller.  We need confidence now.  We need to win.  Now.  Or at least die trying. 

We could still make the playoffs this year.  Sure, it's a longshot but there's still lots of games left to go for it.  We have to stop listening to the Eastern based media who treat us as nothing as a farm system for other teams and start winning some games ourselves.  Now.  Not later.  Later, has been tried as a strategy.  It doesn't do much for me.  We could use some more players, sure, but the kind we want are the kind who will make other teams stop taking liberties with our already good crop of young skilled players.  And those kinds of players usually aren't very expensive.

Go Canucks Go!

Like your post a lot, and am in the want to win now camp as well... however, don't think this team is strong enough to do that, so something has to give...

Agree on all the points though. want to get bigger and tougher, to protect or at least properly support the younger players.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Like your post a lot, and am in the want to win now camp as well... however, don't think this team is strong enough to do that, so something has to give...

Agree on all the points though. want to get bigger and tougher, to protect or at least properly support the younger players.

We had that in Big Mac and Gadj.

:(

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Losing Mac was eh, losing Gadj sucked because he was actually showing the ability to put the puck in the net at the AHL level 

Gotta be able to do more than just fight in today's league 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Is there anything on this from someone legit?

Wouldn't surprise me if management was exploring all options but I'd be surprised to see him be the one going. He's not someone I'd want to retain on as I don't think the return would be worth it.

do you consider David Pagnotta from the fourth period as legit?

The Fourth Period: David Pagnotta is reporting during his NHL Network segment that the Vancouver Canucks are testing the trade market for defenseman Tyler Myers. Myers has two years left at $6 million.

“They’re exploring the market on Tyler Myers. They want to wait a couple of weeks to see how the team performs and exactly what the marketplace has to bear for some of their players, including Tyler Myers.

“The objective is to not only shake up the roster and retool a little bit, but also to free up a little bit of cap space going into next season so that (Canucks GM) Patrik Allvin and (President, Hockey Operations) Jim Rutherford can really put their mark on this club.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The Fourth Period: David Pagnotta is reporting during his NHL Network segment that the Vancouver Canucks are testing the trade market for defenseman Tyler Myers. Myers has two years left at $6 million.

“They’re exploring the market on Tyler Myers. They want to wait a couple of weeks to see how the team performs and exactly what the marketplace has to bear for some of their players, including Tyler Myers.

“The objective is to not only shake up the roster and retool a little bit, but also to free up a little bit of cap space going into next season so that (Canucks GM) Patrik Allvin and (President, Hockey Operations) Jim Rutherford can really put their mark on this club.”

He's certainly been in the business a while, but I'm not sure I'd take it on his word alone. Not that that really matters at the end of the day. 

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

If we can get assets in return for Myers, and then use that extra cap space to obtain another asset, you have to look at that.

It obviously depends on what the pieces involved would be.

If the plan is to rebuild sure but if the plan is to try and retool on the fly and be competitive then no. You are basically trading away Myers for prospect and then replacing him with a 3-4mil guy like harmonic. Unless we manage to get a player like Schneider who's still on a elc then it makes 0 sense to trade Myers for prospect unless we planning on tanking the next 2 years if that's the case by all means trade them all 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

If the plan is to rebuild sure but if the plan is to try and retool on the fly and be competitive then no. You are basically trading away Myers for prospect and then replacing him with a 3-4mil guy like harmonic. Unless we manage to get a player like Schneider who's still on a elc then it makes 0 sense to trade Myers for prospect unless we planning on tanking the next 2 years if that's the case by all means trade them all 

I don't know if we're full-out tanking the next 2 years but we definitely shouldn't undermine our future push for an average level of competitiveness. What's the point?

Yes we're worse without Myers as we have nobody internally to replace him. Sure, but so what?

Is the point to try to win in 3, 4, 5, 6 years? Or to be a bubble team next year?

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

Correction, this is not news this is speculative rumor not news. Respectfully. 

Sure.  Whatever floats your boat :). I think one could make a reasonable argument though that someone reporting this speculative rumor is now making news though.  A deal doesn't need to be completed to be defined as news.  The new development that's being reported and has been reported in a transparent manner (good source, speculation, etc) is reasonable enough to call it news.  Just a different perspective.

"@TheFourthPeriod is reporting the #Canucks  are “exploring the trade waters for defenceman Tyler Myers.”

news
/n(y)o͞oz/

noun

1. newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.
Edited by NHL97OneTimer

37 minutes ago, BPA said:

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Losing Mac was eh, losing Gadj sucked because he was actually showing the ability to put the puck in the net at the AHL level 

Gotta be able to do more than just fight in today's league 

Yeah losing Gadj was the time I checked out on Green and partially Benning... Still don't get why we would draft young players with size, and then drop them like yesterdays news... what was the freaking point in that... 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

This is straight up Clickbait overload.

It's getting so bad out there in social-media-land, there should really be a 'tag' made by the mods that says 'completely fabricated conjecture'. 

Guys like Fried et al can literally spew anything and then hide behind their supposed 'insider' status and everyone buys their total fiction as reality.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Do we trade Myers, then bring in Manson for 5ish mil in the offseason? Bring back Stecher for 1.5-2 mil. Let him and Poolman battle for minutes. Whoever is having the better game is the 2nd pair d-man that night. Lol. I mean, I am for it but it really depends on if we can actually get Manson in the offseason. I don't see many other names that I trust to come in for the right price and actually improve the team. Klingberg will be asking for 7-8mil on a long term deal that'll bring him to his late 30s. Subban is older than Myers. Risto is a question mark defensively. Letang, Giordano, and Boychuk are all late 30s.

If we trade Myers and we get literally nothing in free agency then we made our roster significantly worse and gained what? A middling prospect and maybe a late 1st rounder more likely a late 2nd rounder? Trading Myers would be a precursor to a bigger deal. It'd have to be. Myers for picks/prospects, then Boeser/Horvat for a top 4 RHD that is in their mid 20s?

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't know if we're full-out tanking the next 2 years but we definitely shouldn't undermine our future push for an average level of competitiveness. What's the point?

Yes we're worse without Myers as we have nobody internally to replace him. Sure, but so what?

Is the point to try to win in 3, 4, 5, 6 years? Or to be a bubble team next year?

unless miller is already traded there's no way we should be trading away myers.. if the management's plan is to re-sign miller.. and you go trade away myers and bring in a lesser replacement + some prospect.. you going to tell Miller and ask him to re-sign and tell him we are going to be mediocre the next couple years and hopefully we are ready to compete in 3-4 years? same with EP.. if he sees the team trading away all their players for futures you think he plans on sticking here if the team continues to struggle next couple years?

like i said if they have a replacement plan in place for myers or if they gotten a player thru a trade that can replace myers ie a schneider by all means i'm all for trading myers.. but if there's no replacement plan/players in place i'm totally against trading myers.. i rather let him run his contract out in vancouver and trade him at the TDL on his last year then eat retention and pray whatever u get back in the trade even works out for the canucks.. myer retention or not ain't getting u a 1st and a good prospect.. might be lucky to get a late 1st and couple fringe prospect.. probably able to get something smiliar at the tdl in couple years.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

It's getting so bad out there in social-media-land, there should really be a 'tag' made by the mods that says 'completely fabricated conjecture'. 

Guys like Fried et al can literally spew anything and then hide behind their supposed 'insider' status and everyone buys their total fiction as reality.  

Yeah and that’s the niche in the show biz side of the hockey. Kinda parasitic. 

Takes politician level “charisma” to do this professionally, claim to your following you’re amongst the best at it, and then maintain it as a career…

image.gif.181ee9129282f7c0e788cc4f64e37994.gif

on the flip side, some of these guys are simply PR pawns. Ahem, Dreger 

I’ll admit I’m part of the problem though because I’m the type of fan who loves all aspects of the game, including the hypothetical.

Edited by RWJC

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Do we trade Myers, then bring in Manson for 5ish mil in the offseason? Bring back Stecher for 1.5-2 mil. Let him and Poolman battle for minutes. Whoever is having the better game is the 2nd pair d-man that night. Lol. I mean, I am for it but it really depends on if we can actually get Manson in the offseason. I don't see many other names that I trust to come in for the right price and actually improve the team. Klingberg will be asking for 7-8mil on a long term deal that'll bring him to his late 30s. Subban is older than Myers. Risto is a question mark defensively. Letang, Giordano, and Boychuk are all late 30s.

If we trade Myers and we get literally nothing in free agency then we made our roster significantly worse and gained what? A middling prospect and maybe a late 1st rounder more likely a late 2nd rounder? Trading Myers would be a precursor to a bigger deal. It'd have to be. Myers for picks/prospects, then Boeser/Horvat for a top 4 RHD that is in their mid 20s?

Depends on what returns we get from him and/or other trades (Miller, Boeser etc). Maybe we end up with Lundqvist from the Rangers and Barron from the Avs. Maybe we sign Lyubishkin as a stop gap.

Point is, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that trading Myers equals throwing in the towel next year. It depends HIGHLY on what the return is, what other moves are made etc, etc...

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

They never know anything. Repetitive drool.

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The Fourth Period:

They have stated this publically in their media avails. So this would be accurate. 

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

They want to shed salary. Myers is an obvious contract to shed and his size and value in the playoffs would be desired by a playoff team. So the myers connection might just be an educated guess but it's a likely piece they try to move as he's overpaid.