The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

It's getting so bad out there in social-media-land, there should really be a 'tag' made by the mods that says 'completely fabricated conjecture'. 

Guys like Fried et al can literally spew anything and then hide behind their supposed 'insider' status and everyone buys their total fiction as reality.  

LeBrun was just guest on Russo's podcast and they were talking about how they built relationships across the league.  Russo regularly gets asked for input on players from other GMs.  They talk of how they would just go out for beers with them and that's how they started building a relationship and growing their address book. 

It's not unusual for them to go out for meals or a beer with those GMs or share a cab.  GMs are also looking for input on what's going on around the league or on players and how they are off the ice and often there's a friendship that develops.  They've been in the business for so long and have gained their trust.  If you listen to Russo's podcast he's always telling stories of interaction with the different GMs or coaches and even got a call once from Sakic in the middle of a live podcast.

Edited by mll

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At 50% retained we could get quite a haul for Myers I think.  Big right handed Dman who can play in all positions.  At $3 million he would be valuable to alot of teams if JR wants to go that route.  It would have to be an overpayment though as we need Myers just like other teams need him.  

Pretty much every playoff team could use a RHD, so there could be lots of trade possibilities here. 

Better to keep him than to retain more than a million

he is not replaceable for anything under 5 million

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/24/2022 at 2:12 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Sure.  Whatever floats your boat :). I think one could make a reasonable argument though that someone reporting this speculative rumor is now making news though.  A deal doesn't need to be completed to be defined as news.  The new development that's being reported and has been reported in a transparent manner (good source, speculation, etc) is reasonable enough to call it news.  Just a different perspective.

"@TheFourthPeriod is reporting the #Canucks  are “exploring the trade waters for defenceman Tyler Myers.”

news
/n(y)o͞oz/

noun

1. newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

I don't have a boat.  Its rumor until it's news and rumor and news don't mean the same thing I'm glad you know the difference. :)

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Why on earth would you want to dump Myers? What the hell is wrong with people around here? He is our second or third best d man every singly game. Please enlighten me. 

I don't think he's a number 3 dman.

He's the Canucks number 3 but he's not a #3 on a winner.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, audiodave said:

How long have you been watching hockey? There have been a lot of bad GM's in the NHL over the years, much worse than Benning. 

Button

McPhee

Pleau

McLean

Waddell

Pulford

Nonis

Keenan

And best of the worst:

Milbury

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Why on earth would you want to dump Myers? What the hell is wrong with people around here? He is our second or third best d man every singly game. Please enlighten me. 

I don’t ge5 it either.  We have a good team, and Myers is a key part.  When Demko plays well we win almost every game.  With BB as coach we are one of the top teams.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I think manly because he makes $6m and we have 5 RD in Myers, Hamonic, Schenn, Poolman, and Burroughs. He's going to expire in 2 years, Poolman and Hamonic could already both be tough to get rid of and we're rumored to be in the market for a young RD as well. So quite a lot of reasons actually. It would probably be a really good idea in all actuality if possible.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think manly because he makes $6m and we have 5 RD in Myers, Hamonic, Schenn, Poolman, and Burroughs. He's going to expire in 2 years, Poolman and Hamonic could already both be tough to get rid of and we're rumored to be in the market for a young RD as well. So quite a lot of reasons actually. It would probably be a really good idea in all actuality if possible.

I agree that we should keep Myers.....at least until the Canucks find a younger, cheaper option that will fill his role without us taking a step backwards.  I'd rather see Hamonic and Poolman pack up personally.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I don’t ge5 it either.  We have a good team, and Myers is a key part.  When Demko plays well we win almost every game.  With BB as coach we are one of the top teams.  

That's wishful thinking.  We're one of the top teams when the team plays really well.  We've certainly won games due to Demko but we certainly haven't looked like a top team many games this year.

It's somewhat amusing to me that Myers at 6 mill per year for the remainder of his contract is more appealing now than it was a couple years ago. 2 years ago most people thought of him as a straight cap dump. Now that there's less term on his contract and he hasnt regressed at all (improved even), there's some tangible value there. 

Even though he's still overpaid, this might end up being one of the better free agent signings Benning made. That's not saying much considering how bad Benning was when it came to signing free agents, but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Cause some posters are just parroting off our media. They constantly talk about it everyday whenever I listen

• Vintage 1