The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Management are done team assessment, Demko, Hughes, Pettersson only untouchables

Just now, Jester13 said:

What I find the most interesting is that not too long ago the ones they weren't listening to offers on were Petey, Hughes, Demko, and Bo, but now Bo isn't in that list. I wonder if Bo has let them know that he wouldn't mind a change of scenery, or if the management group is merely recognizing that he may not be part of the solution here. 

I think it's more of a "see what interest is out there for a return" and that's fine. That's a good GM doing his due diligence. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, rekker said:

I think it's more of a "see what interest is out there for a return" and that's fine. That's a good GM doing his due diligence. 

Maybe, but they did have him on the list with those other three not too long ago, and now they don't after their full assessment of the team. It wouldn't surprise me if Bo has let them know he wants to move on. He hasn't really shown consistently this year that his heart is in the fight, and I don't think he wants to stick around for much longer to maybe be competitive in a minimum of two years from now.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Not sure this is anything but normal due diligence. I don't get the impression all but these 3 are on the block. 

The problem is benning handcuffed the new regime with a bunch of bad contracts capwise so JR has to solve the cap problem.

He needs up to ten mill to be flexible and not stressed as Benning was. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

If this isn't a rumour and they are letting it leak out, it could end up having a divisive effect on the team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe, but they did have him on the list with those other three not too long ago, and now they don't after their full assessment of the team. It wouldn't surprise me if Bo has let them know he wants to move on. He hasn't really shown consistently this year that his heart is in the fight, and I don't think he wants to stick around for much longer to maybe be competitive in a minimum of two years from now.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame him if he wants out. He's been patient.l and I'm a fan of him either way. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Honestly, I wouldn't blame him if he wants out. He's been patient.l and I'm a fan of him either way. 

Part of me understands the sentiment, but the other majority part of me says: If you want to make the playoffs then play like it night in and night out, Captain.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The problem is benning handcuffed the new regime with a bunch of bad contracts capwise so JR has to solve the cap problem.

He needs up to ten mill to be flexible and not stressed as Benning was. 

Benning got rid of LE Rousell and Beagle..

I think he had the major mess moved before the season began..  now we start to see the shiny bits.

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

I would genuinely be shocked if Myers gets us a 2nd and a prospect, especially if we dont retain salary

Also would be surprised if the surgery is that deep, that would mean a full on rebuild.

My guess is they do more minor tinkering and move/unload:
Boeser (slow foot speed, JR wants speed), Myers (one good year has played himself into having some trade value, but still a gaffe machine), Pearson (he's been good the past couple games but still just too slow and bad hands), Dickinson (obviously), Poolman.

That'll free up 17-18m to work with, provide plenty of room for Millers extension, to get a more defensively responsible blueliner in Myers' place, find a faster top 6 forward, and rethink the penalty kill. 

I agree Boeser is slow and having a bad season this year...

Boeser is a very good goal scorer..Playing his 5th season..

1. GP62 --G 29

2. GP69-- G 26

3 GP 57 -- G 16

4.GP 56 -- G 23

5.GP 49 -- G15 --

Not easy to find guys that score 24--30 G..  Has not played 82 games due to covid and injuries..

Would need a top RD prospect under 25 and top pick in return..

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree Boeser is slow and having a bad season this year...

Boeser is a very good goal scorer..Playing his 5th season..

1. GP62 --G 29

2. GP69-- G 26

3 GP 57 -- G 16

4.GP 56 -- G 23

5.GP 49 -- G15 --

Not easy to find guys that score 24--30 G..  Has not played 82 games due to covid and injuries..

Would need a top RD prospect under 25 and top pick in return..

Agree with everything you said.

And I think that's precisely what he's trying to get - fill in the RD, add a prospect, and also set us up to move out Myers' salary.

If enough salary is moved, the team might be buyers in UFA

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rekker said:

My opinion, I think Bo has been unfairly kicked on here. He is what he is, a reliable, top notch, second line center. A master at draws, and it's not appreciated enough. I look at Toews, Lindstrom, Bergeron, all cup winners recently. These players aren't fighters, emotional players. They are surrounded by a great cast. That's the failing of the club. Bo's failure would be he isn't a hall of famer like the above mentioned, and that's more than acceptable, and nothong he can help. I still say keep Bo, if he wants to stay with the team. 

you are 100% right and that is the tragedy here. Horvat's legacy as a Canuck captain might be in jeopardy and it's nothing he can do about it. The past GM just didn't know how to build a team and even if the new management realizes things has to change now, it might be too late for Horvat at least his time as a Canuck. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I honestly believe that they are on the outs.  I think 1 of Miller/Horvat will be dealt, and 1 of Garand/Boeser will be dealt.  I think it's Horvat and Boeser that go, and Miller is the new captain.

I'm curious why Horvat would go?
I definitely understand Boeser leaving - footspeed being the biggest issue.

But Horvat matches Boeser's scoring pace, and does a lot more us too (he's defensively responsible and plays shutdown minutes, also wins a lot of faceoffs, plus he's our captain). 

Losing Horvat and Boeser feels like very major surgery and if we needed to fill their scoring, that's probably years of rebuilding. 

28 minutes ago, rekker said:

My opinion, I think Bo has been unfairly kicked on here. He is what he is, a reliable, top notch, second line center. A master at draws, and it's not appreciated enough. I look at Toews, Lindstrom, Bergeron, all cup winners recently. These players aren't fighters, emotional players. They are surrounded by a great cast. That's the failing of the club. Bo's failure would be he isn't a hall of famer like the above mentioned, and that's more than acceptable, and nothong he can help. I still say keep Bo, if he wants to stay with the team. 

I agree keep Horvat a true centre plays a good 200 foot game needs better wingers to produce better...Rememeber Horvat is playing shut down centre most of his career.. Very good in face-off, great leader should score 23-26 G-- 56--64 points...

Miller is a good winger that can play centre and plays different role then Horvat..

Miller 28 will demand  6 yrs X 7.8 -- 8.2 milllion. ---- Horvat 26 - will demand 6 X 6.4 Million..

We need cap space so keep Horvat and he is 2 yrs younger..

Miller will get you better assets back in trade also..

Trade Miller only will the right offer....Example -- Schneider 20 RD, 6'2 --Barron, 6'4 -C -- Chytil,23,6'3 C ---- 2nd rounder

or 2 pack Lundvist 5'11 RD -- Kravtsov,23, 6'3 W -- Barron C 6'4 ... 1st rounder..

Miller -- Motte

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If this isn't a rumour and they are letting it leak out, it could end up having a divisive effect on the team.

People should go and listen to the podcast and understand the context.  It really didn’t talk about “assessment being done” and players being on the block.

It was framed much more as the Canucks brass doing due diligence about how their players in general are valued around the league and what teams had interests in what players.  It was just homework for a front office trying to get some info as they were evaluating where the team is at.

Nothing out of the ordinary at all.  Basically just making calls saying,  “Hey, if we decide we are sellers… what players are you interested in and what is the framework for what you would be willing to pay.”  Any GM for a team not in the playoffs does that.  They might not be shopping Horvat… but what if a team piped up and said they would give 3 1st round picks and a top prospects for him?  That is info you need when coming up with plans and options.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I honestly believe that they are on the outs.  I think 1 of Miller/Horvat will be dealt, and 1 of Garand/Boeser will be dealt.  I think it's Horvat and Boeser that go, and Miller is the new captain.

I'd trade both Boeser and Garland before Bo (and Miller). Centers, ones that can win faceoffs, have been extremely difficult for us to find. We need that 1-2 punch at center (don't think Pettersson is really a true center). Wingers are much easier to replace. Perhaps we don't get as much value from Boeser and Garland as trading a center, but there's a reason for that. Rutherford seeing Crosby-Malkin for years must understand that importance.

48 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If true, that could also be the intention so that  if the team sputters, blowing it up makes it more palatable to everyone including fan base to begin the dismantle/retool

Edited by RWJC