The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Travis Hamonic to Senators for 2022 3rd-round pick

22 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Whos going to replace them?  Theyre both good players. 

Lots of options with $12 million in cap space. You can find a team over the cap like Vegas etc and leverage them for a decent player and pick. Asset management 101

Seems silly to get excited by gaining a third round pick and moving a depth D, but after years of always seemingly tossing away draft picks in deals, it is refreshing to see. 
Good bit of GM’ing this. A guy that was somewhat problematic and missed a lot of time going is not a bad thing.
Hamonic is a decent player usually, not a big needle mover.

The Sens sometimes have difficulty attracting vets so getting a decent one, locked in for another year is a good deal.

What I like though is currently cap space is a huge asset and we got some while gaining pics.
Good bit of GM’ing that.   
Gotta tear down somewhat to build it back up better. Nice not to have to pay assets to get breathing room on cap. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I like 3rd round picks more than 2nds to be honest. Here’s why:

2nd round picks are a lot tougher to select IMO. You get a lot of guys that were projected to go in the 1st drop to the 2nd and teams think they’re getting a steal.

But those players dropped out of the 1st for a reason **cough* Kole Lind **cough**. Then you have managers battling whether to take the higher projected guy or the smart pick right in front of them (Hague)

The 3rd round is where the good scouts really make their money. A lot of good players come from the 3rd round. Let’s just say I’m excited we have 2!

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

100% in agreement here.

My friend who I was at the game with last night is sharing a text and the slo-mo video of him manhandling Tkachuk in the crease with me as I read this.

We need that.

If a team wants to overpay than sure consider it but he is the exact type of player the Canucks need, he is also on a very friendly contract. I would like to see him remain in Vancouver

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hamonic was solid better be getting at least a 2nd round pick coming back!

44 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I'm thinking a 4th rounder 

Maybe making room for Dermott.

Looks like they split the difference.  I am all in favour of this trade. (Hamonic for a 3rd round pick.) A third round pick is not a lot but it clears a crucial $3 million in cap room for next year. And Hamonic did not have much value-added for the Canucks as he is not noticeably better than Poolman, who is apparently almost ready to go. And Burroughs is much better value (although still injured). 

Of course, there could be another move happening that brings in another D. But, either way, this trade is good for the Canucks.

• Thanks 1