The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Dam...3rd round is a hefty price to pay for Dermott 5points in 43 games this year...definitely we will be making the playoffs now with him. 

Not so good trade in my opinion..plus we lost some toughness in the backend!! 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Where in the lineup do you suppose he will get a regular 'chance'?

I would give him a shot at 3rd LD. He's still young, has great wheels and is showing promise in the AHL. Would be a shame not to. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Didn't JR say he likes to overcook his young guys in the A?  Best to have Bone play big minutes in Abby that bottom pair (and likely regress) up here.  

Yes!  I hope we adopt this philosophy… like when we had Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa all develop in Manitoba. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

I would give him a shot at 3rd LD. He's still young, has great wheels and is showing promise in the AHL. Would be a shame not to. 

I know that's what you picture, but with Dermott here now, I don't see it happening. 

1 minute ago, RolexSub said:

Dam...3rd round is a hefty price to pay for Dermott. Not so good trade in my opinion..plus we lost some toughness in the backend!! 

Remember 3rd rounders have only a 15% chance of playing 100 games in the NHL... So basically 85% chance we gave up nothing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don't think this will be the roster that gets us into the playoffs.  Plus, Dermott is over 200 pounds.  He's only 6' tall, but has that low center of gravity hockey build.  He will be better than OEL.

Don't say things like that.. No cup contender has 7.2M in wasted cap.. 

I do believe, If by some crazy unlikely chance we got TWO tanev like dmen to play with huggy and OEL, He would really get a bump in production. We always utilize players against their strengths due to having a weird mis match of guys who don't specialize in anything 

4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

We need a 3LD.  Rathbone is not ready according to everything I’ve heard from Johnson.  Likely yet another year old in the A upcoming. 

like the deal

Boner will require waivers next fall doesn't he? So he is likely traded at some point unless he beats out OEL/Dermott for a spot!? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AV. said:

Yep, as expected.  Hamonic out, Demott in.

We swapped older and expensive for younger and cheaper - seems a positive move to me.

Net positive.  Saved half the cap. Got younger. He’s an upgrade on Hunt. We have logjam of bottom 6 RD in Schenn, Burroughs and Hamonic. 

Hopefully he can pan out. Him and Rathbone aren’t terrible 3 LD depth. Would have preferred someone with a little more jam at LD though. 

15 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

How often y'all watching leafs games? I feel like everyone is so dead against this trade but I see us getting younger, faster, saving cap and this trade has possible upside. Seems like a classic JR buy low on a 25 year old player that sometimes works. Not to mention it puts Hunt in his place as a 7th D, where he rightfully belongs.

We turned Hammer into Dermott and everyone's acting like it's the end of days. What gives?

You new here? This is kinda what we do.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

i get a lot of nate schmidt vibes from him... not sure if its good or bad but schmidt was also a lefty who could play both sides and it didn't work out.

we'll see what happens though.

Schmidt's deployment was all wrong, his numbers plummeted here in van, and as soon as he left, he rebounded. 

Plus, I have a feeling Dermott is gonna play on the left side and replace Hunt. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

You new here? This is knida what we do.

Lol despite being in the top projectile of join date round here, I guess I never get used to it.

Percentile... Damn autocorrect

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Dermott any good?

So we sent Hamonic to the Sens, and then send a 3rd for Dermott. Is this a good trade?

IMHO yes. Got younger and also free'd up $1.5 mill in salary. Get the feeling our Management team see Dermott as someone with more upside than what everyone else is seeing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Lol despite being in the top projectile of join date round here, I guess I never get used to it.

Then you know the drill. Everyone will gather in this thread to complain until the next trade is announced. Then all of us will leave this thread and flood into the new one to bitch about that trade.

Rinse, repeat. :)

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

IMHO yes. Got younger and also free'd up $1.5 mill in salary. Get the feeling our Management team see Dermott as someone with more upside than what everyone else is seeing

Isn't this JRs MO, buy long on a mid 20s defensemen and hope for a rebound? I vaguely remember them talking about that on the radio, but can't remember who. Schultz?

• Cheers 1