The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

9 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Seriously. This is an absolute bone-head move. Why would you trade a rock-solid player for a 4th? It's highly unlikely you'll find that same type of player. 

Perhaps he was asking for 3-4 million and the team believes they can replace him from within? Perhaps with Lockwood, Di Giuseppe, or somebody acquired in free agency or post-season trade? Personally, I would have kept him and tried to re-sign him, but he would definitely be asking for more money than you might want to pay for a fourth line guy, so moving him was probably the right thing to do. He probably priced himself out of the market. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I would have been fine to re-up Motte at something short term and reasonable, which clearly wasn't on the table. 

Stop running around the room for a second and think about the context. 

20 games out of Motte is very, very likely to be more games than we'll ever get out of that 4th round pick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Barbarian said:

Makes sense to me and glad we got something, all things considered.

Love Motte - an impact player when healthy and a gamebreaker in the bubble. If his quality of play priced him off this team I'm glad we got a 4th rather than nothing. A 4th could be a sweetener on an off season deal we may make.

Stings though! 

Yeah, some people are up in arms but it's of little consequence. The season is all but over and he's a UFA. Fast forward a month and he's gone anyway. We just miss seeing him 18 more times or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

The "reasonable extension" wasn't going to come.

As for the return, Max Domi just returned a late 3rd from last year in the CAR-CBJ deal.  Ryan Carpenter got a 5th.  Mason Appleton a 4th.

Forward market dried up towards the end.  The Canucks did the responsible thing to get something for Motte.

You have zero clue the reasonable extension wasn’t available. Asinine to assume otherwise. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rindiculous said:

20 games out of Motte is very, very likely to be more games than we'll ever get out of that 4th round pick.

thats why we got Richardson. 

And 20 games to where? we're out of the playoff hunt. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The issue isn’t trading Motte, it’s the return. 

I’d prefer a couple months to work out a reasonable extension over a 4th round pick. 

Unless the extension is already in place. People don’t think about the player. Motte was just handed a chance to make a run at the Cup. That’s a good reward for what he’s given to the team so far. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Gator said:

I bet yoy any money our "expansion brother" wins a cup before us.. They are doing the right thing and rebuilding, we are forever stuck in this mediocre retool cycle that isn't going to be broken anytime soon. We will get more playoff appearances than BUF, but BUF will win the cup. We wont

Not sure cause the cap will eventually catch up and the development of there prospects, though there farm team is garbage cause outside of the high picks, there farm hasn't provided any worthwhile depth to the big club - hence the revolving door of mediocrity (sounds familiar).  Just look at Eichel and Reinhart: they both wanted out; but the Eichel trade seems like a win - for now.  As for the Reinhart deal, the return was very underwhelming. 

As a Canuck fan, I hope we win one before the ever rebuilding Sabres.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Since the Sedins' last year, Aquilini has wanted to retool and not re-build - i.e., try to make the playoffs but not still build towards the future. So the only trades that are allowed are so-called "hockey trades". No big sales and no big buys.

So Francesco is the culprit. 

At some point you have to realize that it ISN'T WORKING and go towards a different path.

Im pretty sure the re-tool thing started when Willie was coach but we just actually sucked a*s as a team which is why we ended up getting high draft picks.

Our Owner is pathetic

• Like 3

Free Agent Vanek= 3 1/2 years of Motte & a cup of coffee of Juicy J= 4th round pick.

What’s wrong with getting a free asset from what was originally a washed up Thomas Vanek that turned into a versatile 4th liner who helped us get through St. Louis (game 5 heroics) in the bubble. We weren’t going to give him 2.5+ a year to a 4th liner when we have done similar salary in the past to other 4th liners. I’m happy we stopped this cycle of overpaying bottom roster players. Heck we have Williem Lockwood in the minors, it’s not as bad as people think. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 2