The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, Azzy said:

I'm told on Twitter that guys with career highs of 16 points don't get more than a 4th rounder in return.

By the same token, those same players ought not receive contracts over, what, $1.5m AAV?

Apparently all Canucks fans should be happy with the meagre return because Motte is basically worthless, but still worth $10-$12m over 4 years. Go figure.

Motte's showcase was basically 2 years ago in the bubble, unfortunately he followed it up with an injury filled season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Dickenson is the new LE and hopefully, Allvin finds a new home for or Boudreau gets creative and turn him into a useful roster piece.   I like Motte but his style of play, doesn't age well and perhaps Allvin hits on the 4th he got or uses it in a deal.....

LE is way better than Dickenson. At the very least LE had a role and hes somewhat competent defensively. Dickenson is 2- way trash, he sucks on both ends of the ice, doesn't play PP, terrible in the PK, brought in to be C and yet can't win faceoffs. He's no better than Chiasson or Petan

3 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

The CDC special.  Player X is worth way more in my mind's eye and all.  Makes sense to me, why can't management make my imaginary moves.  They should be fired.  LOL.  Every year, no matter who's at the helm, same ish, different season.  

Carry on with your wild imaginations.  Damn I miss the days of Bulis, Mason Raymond and a 2nd for your all-star.  

Mad when a pending ufa isn't moved at the deadline. Mad when one is. Mad about the GM overpaying bottom six players, mad when they don't overpay and move him instead. 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

LE is way better than Dickenson. At the very least LE had a role and hes somewhat competent defensively. Dickenson is 2- way trash, he sucks on both ends of the ice, doesn't play PP, terrible in the PK, brought in to be C and yet can't win faceoffs. He's no better than Chiasson or Petan

Hey, don't expect Player Name level. He's not getting paid $6m after all. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Devron said:

Now that the dust has settled a bit just thought I’d say I love what Motte brought to the team.

I think about the great things he’s done for mental health. When I’m struggling I thought of Motter as it just grounds me knowing that it doesn’t matter who you are it can effect anyone. We are not alone and it can be talked about.

Best of Luck In NY 

Well said

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, The Lock said:

People are freaking out about this? I get that people want to think we can always get maximum value for everything, but how is such thinking realistic in the end? When does that ever happen?

At least we picked up a pick and already these trades feel a little different than when Benning or Gillis were here.

People be bitches yo! Entertain me Canucks, NOW!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah just like I said after JB was fired, back to the same ole chit but different day.. ermm.. year. Letting Motte go was bad enough BUT for a 4th round? Ugh! 

We actually need to find someone with his drive exactly but bigger, if Hughes, Garland, Hogs were 6' and over than we'd be a much better team but their not and we have toughen up to balance it out.

The only way PA and JR come out of this unscathed is by picking up a replacement that's all Motte in a bigger package, if not it's a huge fail, bigger than it already is.

All I can say is if the management doesn't do something drastic in the off season, lots more of the same. 

P.S. after watching/radio listening since 74, being a Canucks fan after all these years is getting epically tiring!!  

Would you have preferred Motte just plain walk due to stalled contract negotiations? At least we got something instead of letting players just walk, and while it's easy to think "oh Motte would want to resign here for a good deal", how would we really know that?

So this might feel the same, but then let me ask you this: what deal would make you feel this is different? What exact deal? I think it's important to be able to answer that question if you feel things are the same, because it's easy to get into a rhythm of having certain expectations that will never be acheieved no matter what team you cheer for. Therefore, I encourage you to at the very least, ask yourself that question.

Edited by The Lock

Tyler Motte Is a gamer for sure. It is sad to lose him, but the current plans to be contenders doesn't fit the time window set out by the new management. Motte's talents are more useful elsewhere. Getting him in the Vanek trade back in 2018 and his performance with us was a pleasant surprise. He's back in the good ol' USA and closer to home as well.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

See, I can respect that. I see things a bit differently, because what the Canucks management and Motte couldn't agree to prior to the deadline on March 21st and what'll be available within the first couple days of free agency could be very different things. Maybe Motte goes to market having been sold on how much he's worth by his agent and finds out teams aren't willing to pay what he wants, or maybe he gets it, or maybe somewhere in the middle. But at the end of the day management wasn't comfortable with what he wanted in terms of a contract yesterday. Now, will that leak? Given how little we've gotten from this management in terms of leaks I wouldn't count on it. 

If Motte goes to market and gets a contract Canucks fans would have happily signed him to that doesn't mean that's what was on the table leading up to the deadline, or that it's what Motte would have accepted yesterday. 

I liked Motte as a player too, and he was a great human being, but fans get waaaaay too attached to players. And I mean, I get it, but they're assets at the end of the day and the business side and the management of the team and cap is more important than keeping everyone. Teams see players go every year, players that fanbases enjoy even. That's just the business. 

Anywhere? Nah. But can you find them? Yeah. Top third and fourth liners typically get more, but third and fourth liners as a whole aren't hard to find or plug in. Would a Lockwood or Jasek be as effective as a Motte starting out? Of course not, but to expect that is silly. Motte wouldn't be as effective as he has been if we hadn't given him a chance either. Many viewed him as an underwhelming return for Vanek years back and now folks don't want to let go. But yes, there are players with heart on every roster, go ask all the fanbases who they have. Watch games that don't involve the Canucks if you don't, I do. Heart and intangibles aren't this mythological thing possessed by a few rare players, every team around the league has it in their lineup and you see players with it playing in lesser leagues.

I get the point of your list too, but I can list a list too. A list over overpaid or supposedly ineffective bottom six players I've seen fans complain about the last 4-5 seasons. 

Sutter, Beagle, Player Name, Baertschi, Roussel, Schaller, Virtanen, Gagner, Prust. Hell, even Pearson would be lumped in there by some despite being an adequate middle six tweener. 

Point is we can't simultaneously complain about overpaid bottom six players and then fuss about management moving on when bottom six players want too much. Finding the sweet spot with a contract is hard, but when your management group consistently overpays guys it impacts the entire roster. Some folks point at this move as a ruthless move that shows management isn't willing to reward effort, I don't see it that way, I see it as a move that demonstrates this team wants to be serious about competing, which means managing cap and trying to pay assets fairly without paying more than they think they should. 

We're a capped out team that's unlikely to make the playoffs in part because of past overpayments. 

Here here! Well said. It's days like this where I'm glad there are actual hockey people running the team. CDC has collectively shown how little they know about the game yesterday. This team needs to make some major decisions, not cave in to a 4th liner (not 3rd), and pay to keep him. He's the last thing we should be worried about. Especially a guy that has broke 10 points twice in 6 NHL seasons. I love the way Motte plays but people have to give their heads a shake. It's the least important position on the team. Motte for how aggressive and tenacious he is doesn't hit big and is pretty small for a fourth liner. Both BB and JR mentioned the desire to get some more toughness and beef on the fourth line. This would be an opportune spot to do it.

At the end of the day we need to decide the direction of the club. Those major decisions should be made before we start blowing money on the fourth line. That was never the problem. I was mottled at first with the return as well with threads predicting a 2nd some a first lol. It turned out there were better players available and Motte was only worth a fourth.

Regardless the playoff chase is all but over it doesn't really make a difference if he were to play the last 18 games or not. Like you said at least we made a move with the team in mind. Even if it doesn't move the needle much it's a mid round pick. Definitely a step in the right direction, in the right way of doing things. Holding on to a player out of spite because you wanted more just hurts our team, not the team that you refuse to trade with.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Just comparing how both had regressed - for some reason - after signing a long term contract; and yeah hands of stone Dickenson has played himself to the press box - just like LE.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Tyler Motte Is a gamer for sure. It is sad to lose him, but the current plans to be contenders doesn't fit the time window set out by the new management. Motte's talents are more useful elsewhere. Getting him in the Vanek trade back in 2018 and his performance with us was a pleasant surprise. He's back in the good ol' USA and closer to home as well.

Good luck!

This right here! People on here forget the simple fact that we acquired Motte by trading Vanek who originally was a late off season free agent signing in September 2017. I will admit that I was one of those posters who was livid we didn’t get a pick and instead we got a cup of coffee with shootout HOFer Juicy J (Jussi Jokinen). We also got an unknown in Tyler Motte and again at the time, Canucks fans would’ve been happier with a pick then this project plug that was a piece of the Brendan Sadd trade that CBJ got back. But we all know the history after and we will never forget that amazing effort he brought game in and game out. But now that we trade him and got exactly what fans wanted from the Vanek trade is funny and nuts to me. Just can’t seem to win with people and they will find a way to b!+€h and moan about anything. 

NEWS FLASH PEOPLE: Motte and Jack Rathbone were originally 4th round picks. Personally I am tired of seeing our team bleeding expiring assets and losing them for nothing. This was a breath of fresh air. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Justin Bourne, a Toronto journalist, just commented that he was surprised how crummy the return was for Motte. 

4th round pick = 110th-120th overall 

One more thing: Tyler Motte has been averaging more then 14 mins of ice time this season. Find me other "4th liners" that do. 

I get that people are trying to justify the low return by calling him a fourth line player. 

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I've loved Motte since the first season when we got him, so I'm not that thrilled with this trade HOWEVER my decision on the trade will be made this summer when we see what Motte gets on his contract.  

If he signs for 2 mil/year or less, then this will be a loss.  I hope that Motte gets someone to pay him closer to 2.5 or even 3 mil/year, in which case this trade will be justified.  

You say that there are plenty of players who play with intangibles and heart but it's just not true, or if they do then they don't have the speed/skill.  

I mean didn't we just witness that in Vancouver over the last two-three years?  

Travis Boyd 

Justin Bailey 

Adam Gaudette 

Zack MacEwen 

Jimmy Vesey 

Marc Michaelis 

Jayce Hawryluk 

I'm not singling you out here Coconuts because lots of fans have this notion that you can just find a bottom 6 forward anywhere.  "Replacement level" is a term that's been parroted by some of the media members whose background is in journalism, not hockey. 

Life of a Canuck fan has involved experiment after experiment in the bottom 6, and the past tells us that most of those experiments fail.  I hope that Will Lockwood gets an opportunity here to play on the Lammikko - Highmore line and that he holds his own.  We might have our Motte replacement already in the system. 

To be fair, we may have had difficulty finding those players but Pittsburgh, which was previously run by our current management, was borderline famous for finding those guys.

Let's see what they do this summer ;)

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Justin Bourne, a Toronto journalist, just commented that he was surprised how crummy the return was for Motte. 

4th round pick = 110th-120th overall 

One more thing: Tyler Motte has been averaging more then 14 mins of ice time this season. Find me other "4th liners" that do. 

I get that people are trying to justify the low return by calling him a fourth line player. 

Take a look at numerous other players traded at this deadine for fourths. All comparable to Motte. That was the market this year. I do agree though, pretty good value for the Rangers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, rekker said:

Take a look at numerous other players traded at this deadine for fourths. All comparable to Motte. That was the market this year. I do agree though, pretty good value for the Rangers. 

Appleton is the closest comp to Motte imo, and thats what he went for.

Disappointing, sure. Hair on fire worthy? no. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, we may have had difficulty finding those players but Pittsburgh, which was previously run by our current management, was borderline famous for finding those guys.

yup that week leading up to the draft is going to be an interesting time around here.

I'm not surprised there's so much disappointment from yesterday, expectations were way too high. 

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

TO Be faiiiiiir…

23 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I'll be overjoyed if management can figure out a way to punt Dickinson and not have to take back something equally, or nearly, as inept.  GMJB made some 

good ones, some great ones, some meh ones and some stinkarony ones.  Dickinson is the latter, and he's not cheap.  A must move.

I really tried to get behind this player in the beginning but he's a total bust. There's a small chance a mediocre team might take him with a sweetener. What do you think it would take to dump him? A 2nd, a third, Klimovich, Woo, Hoglander?

Ah, we're probably stuck with him.