The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Boudreau coming back?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

I think Bruce has said a few times that he's not going to be coaching in a couple of years so next year may well be it for him.

If that's the case we really need a contingency plan, and not another rookie but a proven NHL coach. We better keep one eye open on the playoffs because you know a good coach on a good team will get sacked for not winning the Cup.

Can they keep Boudreau, in another capacity - in charge, of player development (perhaps) and replace, him with Walker cause I would like to watch a team, that would reflect Walkers' style when he played: skill with toughness.   

Good chance, he comes back, regardless, of the roster and he continues to mentor Walker

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Bruce has said a few times that he's not going to be coaching in a couple of years so next year may well be it for him.

If that's the case we really need a contingency plan, and not another rookie but a proven NHL coach. We better keep one eye open on the playoffs because you know a good coach on a good team will get sacked for not winning the Cup.

He was interviewed a day of two ago and specifically said … I want to coach forever and I like Vancouver. This man eats, sleeps and breathes hockey. You can sense how passionate he is about the game just listening to him. 
He’s not going anywhere else anytime soon.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

It would be a complete shame to waste such great coaching on a wasted season. 

Would it have been a sure thing to make the playoffs if Boudreau started the season here? 

I think so, we've hovered around .650 hockey with him, maybe a bit lower lately at .600 but that'd still be good for top 3 in the division easily.

How they'd fare in the playoffs is a different story but I think if we fired Green in the off season and went for Bruce or Gallant early, it'd be a different story.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Muttley said:

Really?  List your reasons and let others respond. Can't imagine what you mean. 

1. bruce has always been, in the nhl at least, a coach of veteran players, particularly ones who need a breath of fresh air. he's never been the type of coach that has developed a young team at the nhl level.

2. for bruce's own sake, the guy must realize the end of the coaching road is approaching as a man in his late 60s. he wants to win. he should be coaching a playoff team that's ready to compete.

3. his shelf life tends to be too short to be a good fit for a young group that will benefit from continuity and stability.

4. I frankly don't think his x's and o's/strategy/systems play/etc. are a strong enough attribute that I'd choose them to build an identity around if we're starting from the ground up. his systems tend to work well over the short term, particularly in the regular season, but they haven't seemed sustainable long term and, as has been well publicised, they haven't been successful in the playoffs. 

5. the nice guy persona tends to only get teams so far, and the screaming obscenities schtick wears thin quickly.

6. if the team is doing a reset, the gm should probably choose his coach. yes, rutherford gave his blessing, but that was also when he was still strongly leaning towards not taking the job and obviously wouldn't have wanted to tie francesco's hands.

probably others I'm not thinking of.

12 minutes ago, Muttley said:

NO! Alvin shouldn't get rid of Bruce and go look for his own guy.  Probably end up with another Green or Willie type, (cringe).

Little bit of a oxymoron statement thar. Nice guy, screaming obscenities. ::D..

it's not an oxymoron because both sides of his personality exist. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It was revealed that Francesco consulted with Rutherford about hiring Boudreau before he was hired and Bruce's actual hiring was a factor for Rutherford taking the job.

1. If Boudreau is JR's guy, then why haven't we heard an announcement from the team that he is coming back.

2. FA "cleared" Boudreau's appointment with JR but that does not mean that Boudreau is JR's guy. FA was desperate to do something and it quite possible that he sold Boudreau to JR as a stopgap measure with no commitment for next year. And Boudreau certainly is not Allvin's guy who was not hired until quite a lot later. 

3. I really hope Boudreau does come back and I am getting frustrated with management.

4. There has been a lot of fanfare about the new management team and a lot emphasis on the two women AGMs and the addition of a women in the analytics group. And Allvin made the acquisition of Dermott sound like the second coming of Bobby Orr.  And the Canucks are certainly leading the league in political correctness.

5. But the guy who actually,  you know, started winning games is not getting much respect from management. I think it is disgrace that the team has not put this issue to rest and I am sure it is annoying to Boudreau.

I hope we see an announcement soon. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. If Boudreau is JR's guy, then why haven't we heard an announcement from the team that he is coming back.

Who knows why? The trade deadline and all the related speculation has been the major focus for months. Plus the fact that we clawed back and were in the playoff race for so long. Those two things have dominated and been the primary focus. Now that the dust is settling, Boudreau has increasingly and quickly become the focus. I'm sure it will organically evolve now that Boudreau's in the spotlight. Obviously a lot of things with this regime will be happening in the offseason. I'm sure Bruce will be on their list.

30 minutes ago, JamesB said:

2. FA "cleared" Boudreau's appointment with JR but that does not mean that Boudreau is JR's guy. FA was desperate to do something and it quite possible that he sold Boudreau to JR as a stopgap measure with no commitment for next year. And Boudreau certainly is not Allvin's guy who was not hired until quite a lot later.

It certainly sounded like JR liked that FA wanted Boudreau and was keen to work with him in a Canadian market. To me, I took that to be a major appealing factor to JR taking the job. If Boudreau was a problem, then I'm sure JR would have indicated that to FA. I read that as Boudreau's approval by JR was more in "his guy' territory. We can differ on that.

Sure, the stopgap is possible just as my original point is possible. Given how well Bruce has done, it's obvious he's earned a longer term. 

I'm making no absolute judgement on what Allvin thinks. He indeed was hired later. JR has publicly stated that Allvin will be making his own decisions but also said he'll be giving his input. So I don't fault Allvin for playing things close to the vest, not making a decision, so he doesn't appear to be a JR puppet. 

46 minutes ago, JamesB said:

3. I really hope Boudreau does come back and I am getting frustrated with management.

I hope he comes back as well. In fact, I'll be shocked if he doesn't. Especially after turning around the team. Like I mentioned above, I'm sure management will be focusing on Bruce in the offseason given the push toward playoffs and now that we're past all of the trade deadline hype. 

50 minutes ago, JamesB said:

4. There has been a lot of fanfare about the new management team and a lot emphasis on the two women AGMs and the addition of a women in the analytics group. And Allvin made the acquisition of Dermott sound like the second coming of Bobby Orr.  And the Canucks are certainly leading the league in political correctness.

After eight years of Benning and company, I really welcome change, inclusion, and  experience. Let's put it all to the test.

However, I'm more skeptical of new management this time around because we've heard a lot of similar talk and talking points from the previous regime.

This fanbase deserves results sooner than later - especially with a retool - and after eight years of Benning, the runway should be shorter. I'd like to see them be more precise. Hopefully that's where the AGMs will be the difference.

I liked the Dermott acquisition but we'll see. So far so good.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

5. But the guy who actually,  you know, started winning games is not getting much respect from management. I think it is disgrace that the team has not put this issue to rest and I am sure it is annoying to Boudreau.

I get it. They really do have to treat Bruce right here. I just think there's more agreement among them all behind the scenes to get certain things over with first, namely all the uncertainties that we were waiting on in the season. There was a lot going on from December to now. To me, it'll be absolutely disgraceful if they leave it to the last minute throughout the summer. They should get Bruce extended shortly after the season ends so the media can't make anything more out if it. 

I'd also prefer to see an announcement sooner than later. 

• Cheers 1

Quite obvious imo that BB is a stopgap coach, but that includes next season and that was always the plan. Beyond that I don't think he's the guy.

Next year we need big steps from a few of the younger players. Especially EP, which kinda gets forgotten in all of the Miller discussions. EP reaching the next level is more important than keeping Miller for our future. Of course both won't hurt either.

But I just don't think it's a good idea to switch coach at this stage with the younger players needing consistency and lots of expected roster changes. I believe that's how management sees it too.

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'll be pretty angry with management if he's not back.  He's done an excellent job.

In that case - and for the CDC's case - i hope he's back too!  Wouldn't want to see what you'd say when your angry. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tas said:

1. bruce has always been, in the nhl at least, a coach of veteran players, particularly ones who need a breath of fresh air. he's never been the type of coach that has developed a young team at the nhl level.

2. for bruce's own sake, the guy must realize the end of the coaching road is approaching as a man in his late 60s. he wants to win. he should be coaching a playoff team that's ready to compete.

3. his shelf life tends to be too short to be a good fit for a young group that will benefit from continuity and stability.

4. I frankly don't think his x's and o's/strategy/systems play/etc. are a strong enough attribute that I'd choose them to build an identity around if we're starting from the ground up. his systems tend to work well over the short term, particularly in the regular season, but they haven't seemed sustainable long term and, as has been well publicised, they haven't been successful in the playoffs. 

5. the nice guy persona tends to only get teams so far, and the screaming obscenities schtick wears thin quickly.

6. if the team is doing a reset, the gm should probably choose his coach. yes, rutherford gave his blessing, but that was also when he was still strongly leaning towards not taking the job and obviously wouldn't have wanted to tie francesco's hands.

probably others I'm not thinking of.

Bruce has worked with teams as young as ours.   So i wouldn't worry about one. 

The charm is what gets players willing to move guys through walls for their coach.   A little shame once that's established, is one powerful coaching tool.  

The only thing that might get him in trouble is his honesty.    Some egos just can't handle that.   Unlike Green (who obviously hates the media) - Bruce plays them like a fiddle.  And says it how it is - doesn't have some robotic answer for every one game loss.    He's already "thrown more players" under the bus then Green ever did - and look at our reaction to that.   We didn't really seem to care or even bring it up.    Because it's honest.    Guy has a bad game he says he had a bad game.   Not "that's a good team over there" which drove some CDCers nuts.    Guys totally affable.   

What I see is him returning IF he wants too.   I highly doubt management won't ask him to stay for next year.    He's helped our team a lot.    Maybe he'd have got us in - maybe he wouldn't have (sorry folks - that much roster change is a recipe for some really tough starts - think about that when making your trade proposals...a couple guys no big deal ... half your team over two years?  A huge deal)....

Im not too worried about his screaming - he wouldn't do that to our locker room yet.   We aren't the WSH capitals.   Heck he even said that we don't have a star  player yet except for maybe Hughes.   Millers name didn't even get thrown in the ring because he never had the same pedigree.   And did say he sees EP maybe one day getting there.   So he's fully aware of what we do have and what we don't have.    It's refreshing as heck, know he's getting older.   But i for one hope he stays until he's ready to retire in his early 70's - and that comes with a cup for him.    Players coaches have always been my favourite ones.