The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Soft hands, great vision, composure, very physical, and ready to go with anyone... what's not to like about Podz?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

6 hours ago, Qwags said:

Why are the Ducks on track to lap us in their rebuild? Idk about you Alf, but this Canucks team isn't built to contend, it's built to struggle.

I'm honestly not incredibly impressed with Ducks' youth at the NHL level other then Troy Terry.  I get that Sonny Milano and Trevor Zegras are uber-skilled, but I don't know how much their style of play will translate into the playoffs.  

Jamie Drysdale is a good young D, but I would take Quinn Hughes over him without even thinking about it.  

Now, Ducks do have lots of high end prospects (MacTavish and Zellweger come to mind right away).  They also have a lot of picks in the next two drafts, so I'm jealous of their rebuild in that sense, however the hardest part for them will be going from a perennial loser to a playoff team so let's see if that happens next year.  A big amount of their success has hinged on their veterans this year.  

To get back to OP's topic, I am in love with Podkolzin's game.  He's doing everything that we wanted Virtanen to do, but never learned.  He's trending to be an even better version of Ivan Barbashev, and I'm 100% happy with that.  

Not sure if it's been posted here, but Chiasson spoke glowingly about Podz after the Sharks game.  

6 hours ago, Zfetch said:

Etem had similar zone starts, corsi and points historically.

I think the comparison is dead on....

Issue is some project forward Podkolzin as being more than a 22 pt player and people project backwards Etem being just a 22pt player.

The comp is pretty accurate as at today until Podkolzin can prove otherwise

Troll.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Qwags said:

Why are the Ducks on track to lap us in their rebuild? Idk about you Alf, but this Canucks team isn't built to contend, it's built to struggle.

Personally, I don't see the Ducks doing very well in their rebuild.  They're still missing an elite D man, and I think Gibson is overrated, and also getting older.  I do like that they have draft picks, but it'll still take those draft picks 2-3 years to even make the NHL.  Add another 2-3 more years of development.  Canucks are a little ahead in the rebuild department, IMO.

Well point is I wanted to make is that we need to lower a bit our expectations with Podkolzin.

It's his first year he's done pretty well as a rookie (though I am dumbfounded that anyways with a straight face would say they'd rather have Podz than Zegras are just in self denial :lol: )  but let's take down our expectations a notch.

I have my best case scenario with Podz will become (which is absurdly high), but I understand the possibility it won't happen to avoid disappointment. So if ever ends up just a more consistent version of Kassian (to the Oilers) I would be fine with that. 

Let's not forget Canucks' prospect greatest oops the last few years

Tryamkin - Next Chara

Hodgson - Future Captain of the Canucks

Shinkaruk - Next Patrick Kane

Kassian/Virtanen - Next Bertuzzi 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:56 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

I have always said Benning was a good drafter... we can generally see that... his problem was not recognizing Green was not the guy for the coaching job.

Also Benning tended to squander late picks too readily and the result we have ended up with a farm system which isn't what it should be.

But Benning could have still been this team's GM if last summer he had patted Green on the head and sent him on his way and found an experienced coach to replace him. 

Our season would not be hanging on a thread.

Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

8 Years and Demko and Hoglander really the only 2 outside the first round for a drafting guru isn't great.

Not to mention the butchered Virtanen and OJ (top 6 picks).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I've been following this team from era's where we had high 1st round draft picks, and they never played a game in the NHL. 

Given how decent a lot of Benning's picks are. That's a big step up. Considering now teams can't afford to miss in the first three rounds of the draft. 

That's a lot of pressure on the scouting staff to get it right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've been following this team from era's where we had high 1st round draft picks, and they never played a game in the NHL. 

Given how decent a lot of Benning's picks are. That's a big step up. Considering now teams can't afford to miss in the first three rounds of the draft. 

That's a lot of pressure on the scouting staff to get it right. 

Successful drafting teams have numerous picks, especially in the first three rounds.  Benning kept trading away picks, especially those in the first three rounds, when we should have been collecting them.  

We do have Petey, Demko, Hughes, and Pods.  Looks like Bone and Hogs are players too.  But we needed more picks so we could have more of the second level of player pushing for spots.  

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I look at the eye test as those stats are misleading.  Some Russian sites had Podzilla listed at 6'4" 209 pounds.  Does Timo look any bigger than Podzilla on the ice?  The answer is no...

Podz looks about 199-195 and around 6' to me.  He's definitely not over 200

Unless Podkolzin walks into good linemates or somehow becomes a world-beater overnight, he's maybe a 35-45 pt forward when all is said and done.  Not a bust, but hardly a legitimate top 6 forward.

Boldy is clear of Podkolzin as it stands.  And Zegras...well that guy is galaxies better than what Podkolzin is showing.  Caufield also much better.  I'm probably forgetting some other names.

Canucks fans have once again tricked themselves into thinking that their prospect is some special, unearthed talent, or a "steal".  It happens all the time.  The reality is, these players are good but are simply standard across the league.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, AV. said:

Unless Podkolzin walks into good linemates or somehow becomes a world-beater overnight, he's maybe a 35-45 pt forward when all is said and done.  Not a bust, but hardly a legitimate top 6 forward.

Boldy is clear of Podkolzin as it stands.  And Zegras...well that guy is galaxies better than what Podkolzin is showing.  Caufield also much better.  I'm probably forgetting some other names.

Canucks fans have once again tricked themselves into thinking that their prospect is some special, unearthed talent, or a "steal".  It happens all the time.  The reality is, these players are good but are simply standard across the league.

Boeser was miles better than Player Name Ek the first 2-3 years in the league.  Who'd you rather have now?  There were a lot of good forwards within the top 20 in the 19' draft.  Newhooks looking great... Krebes as well.  These guys including Caulfield and Boldy (whom by the way, in my book, was neck and neck my favorite with Podz) are all very well may  produce more than podz (If they stay healthy... Podz is also super durable)... But not one of these guys will be as tough to play against, or as defensively elite.  Podz will be out in all situations were as a number of these guys will be put out in more offensive rolls only.  I don't need to bash any of these players to point out that podz will be an integral part of this core very soon.  A player that you need to win a Stanley Cup with.  By the end of next season... Let's pose this question again and see how you feel.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@RomanP Roman has stood side by side with Podkolzin and said he was 6'2".  He said Podkolzin and Klimovich are the exact same height.  Roman can you confirm that Podkolzin is 6'2" and probably 210 pounds?

Podkolzin is a bit shorter than Danila, but they are both built like bulls. He’s definitely a bit shorter than me. Danila is 6’2”, Vasily is about 6’-6’1”A6C8EC3C-15C8-4690-A330-AD30960244F0.jpeg.0409312498b6e6d10cd1a2e0a89a0315.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@RomanP Roman has stood side by side with Podkolzin and said he was 6'2".  He said Podkolzin and Klimovich are the exact same height.  Roman can you confirm that Podkolzin is 6'2" and probably 210 pounds?

And they both are easy over 200 lbs of muscle.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Zfetch said:

When I look at Podkolzin, I see a failure of a 10th overall pick. A guy who was in his D-1 season considered to be a top 3 prospect, slid to 10 in his draft year, and surely in a redraft places low 1st round/ early 2nd round.

That's the brutal truth. Podkolzin can be a solid middle sixer. His potential ability is merely a 150/200 (or 7.5/10) if you will.

Contrast this to wingers taken below him, Boldy, Caufield...and you'll see why Podkolzin is a disappointment for where he was taken.

And he may never amount to anything more than an middle 6er. You don't need to look further than his constant benching and low ice time from both the coaches he had this season, it's not without reason. Don't let this hot streak fool you. If he can mantain these past...What...3 games...into next season, then color me excited. But Podkolzin mayn't be a stranger to ending on a high note after prior disappointment...

One scout said prior to his selection:

"Reasons for doubt include inability to produce in league play and a U18 tournament that saw him come on only at the end to finish with four points in seven games"

And so I encourage you all to remove the optimism lenses and see Podkolzin for what he really is.

Is Podkolzin a top 6 player when he's a 25pt rookie?

Is Podkolzin better than any of the wingers near his 10th selection (Zegras, Caufield, Boldy, Podkolzin)? Isn't Podkolzin the consensus worst of the four aforementioned players?

Was Podkolzin "robbed" of ice time or was he just bad? I don't recall Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser being scratched early on in the careers because they showed right off the getgo that they are top 6/top 4 surefire ready.

The year isn't 2000 (clutching city) and this is not a hockey simulation game. Young players showcase more or less what they are capable of right from the start. Seider is an elite defender. Zegras is a top line winger. Boldy is a top line winger. Caufield is a top 6 winger. Podkolzin is a bottom 6 winger.

This isn't to say there isn't going to be some volatility within players playing ability. But to project someone who has been a bottom 6er for his entire career into something outlandish as a 1st line winger is unreasonable and I question whether you may be goosing. Perhaps Podkolzin find his groove as a mid-tier second liner on an optimistic but attainable note (but nit right away of course). But Podkolzin is and will always be the wrong winger to have been taken at 10th overall and no amount of "hope" will mask the immeasurable disappointment in what looks to be a beautiful, yet uninspiring man destined to be no more than a middle 6er.

I thought Podkolzin dropped because of his minimum 2 year contract in Russia and therefore a big question mark for any franchise on their level of involvement in his development. He's been a terrific 200 ft player this year as a rookie, something you can't say about those other 3 players. In a playoff series, Podkolzin comes out on top of Zegras Caufield or Boldy. It is what it is honestly. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I thought Podkolzin dropped because of his minimum 2 year contract in Russia and therefore a big question mark for any franchise on their level of involvement in his development. He's been a terrific 200 ft player this year as a rookie, something you can't say about those other 3 players. In a playoff series, Podkolzin comes out on top of Zegras Caufield or Boldy. It is what it is honestly. 

"It is what it is honestly." Actually, no it isn't.

Caufield just went to the cup final, and was their 3rd highest scorer.

While we can all hope Podkolzin will be one of our top scorers and provide sounds defensive play in our next playoff run, it's disingenuous to put him ahead of Caufield who has experience. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:29 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

We may be in the last stages of the season, with the chances of making the playoffs not high, but it is a real pleasure to see a young player developing.

I am so impressed with Vassily Podkolzin's overall play lately, he is really showing signs pointing to him becoming an important player for this team in the future.

Yes, he has not scored a lot recently, but it is his first season, and the goals and points he has put up are not out of line with a rookie.

What has dramatically improved recently is his overall play off the puck especially in the D-Zone... but also in understanding how to make passes, when to hold onto the puck and how to complement his linemates in the 0-Zone.

It just seems like in the last 20 games he has clicked into another zone when it comes to composure and timing... he is seeing the ice really well, not rushing his passes, not over-committing, just doing the right thing in most every situations.

It really shows when he has a chance to play with elite players like Horvat... he understands where they will be, and he makes the plays which allow them to get scoring opportunities.  This game he gave Horvat at least 3 good scoring opportunities.  And his presence on Horvat's line made Chiasson that much better.

He also continues his very effective physical play... even though he did not get credited with a hit this game, I felt he was continually crowding the opposition, forcing them to move the puck too fast and causing mistakes.  And his motor is alway 'On'... there never seems to be any letup.

I loved the way he was ready to go with Timo Miers even though Miers outweighs him by 30 lbs.  (at least by Podz's listed weight... although I think maybe Vassily is a few pounds heavier than what is shown on the Canucks site)

He is developing into a really good all round player.  Plus it seems like he is a popular player with his team-mates and always has a good attitude.

The only thing missing is the goalscoring, but I don't have much doubt that will come.

Definitely becoming a favourite of mine.  :canucks:

I love that he plays the right way. 

Miller is high risk high reward. 

Podz is low risk with only upside the way he plays the game. 

That's how you win. 

His decision making is better than most on the team including quite a few vets. 

He may hit slumps and not score but they way he plays, he will continue generating chances. 

6 hours ago, Russ said:

Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

8 Years and Demko and Hoglander really the only 2 outside the first round for a drafting guru isn't great.

Not to mention the butchered Virtanen and OJ (top 6 picks).

That's just false. 

Ben Hutton. Adam Gaudette. Jack Rathbone. Gustav Forsling. Lockwood. Lind. Gadjovich. Those are all bodies that have played NHL games. There's some decent picks developing currently... 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1