The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Seattle Kraken at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 26, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

58 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

When has Miller’s name ever been considered in the same category as those 3. 
There are many more examples of players that had one good season and disappeared than the three you highlighted. Heck,Brock as a rookie 29g today barely can scrape 20. 
Miller may be starting a peak and may be this good for a few more years but the fact that Stamkos was actually healthy for a year or Kane continues to do well or that the best goal scorer in NHL history continues at a high pace has no bearing on what Miller will do. Look at Brad Richardson the year after he left us and the Brad Richardson we got off wavers. Should it be assumed that one good year automatically is the new normal. 

So Stamkos was never healthy for his previous 13 seasons?  This is the only year of his 14 year career that he was healthy?

You need to come up with something much better than that to justify a player having a career year at 32.

Maybe, just maybe, players in today's NHL are more fit and healthy than they ever were, which explains why so many players are having better years scoring wise in their 30's than in their 20's.  Joe Pavelski is another example of a guy turning 38 who is still a point a game player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm tired of theses guys tweeting stats about our guys from certain points in the season. The main stat that maters is our win loss record from game one to eighty two.There are no trophies given out for 41 game performances or best players after a coaching change or top scorers after covid diagnosis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would move Boeser 100%.  We have a #1 line we can go with that would be one of the best in the league.  And we can fill out a very good #2 line as well if we can pick up Kuzmenko for free...

Miller          Pettersson   Garland

Podkolzin   Horvat         Kuzmenko

I don't like Horvat as a 3C, it's a waste of his talent.  We are better off loading up the top line with both Petey and Miller and having Horvat as a 2C.  We can then either go out and get a 3C in free agency or trade Boeser for a 3C.

I think Kuzmenko can come in and score 50+ points.  He has alot of talent and I would put him together with his buddy Podkolzin for an easy transition to the NHL.

That is one of the big advantages with both Miller and Bo.... They can both play up and down the line up, and make any line better...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Sure, there are reffing issues across the league

I think you just bought into what some of us are saying.

If you don't feel bias is shown, that's an opinion that some don't personally share. Not right or wrong. You're going out of your way to "prove" something here but I'm not sure what it is. The reffing has been fairly atrocious....no, not just for our team but of course it's more glaring to us so we're going to comment on our observations. It's not a crime to not fully support the refs because they're somehow the cream of the crop. Then ref like it.

I can't count the number of times I've seen slashes and slewfoots in the past handful of games that should have been called but weren't. Yet a phantom reach in is a hook, a good solid check at the boards is interference. They don't even know what to call anymore and it's like a random wheel of "what is this called?".

More than this, it's also about how calls are timed. Haphazard and willy nilly. Not really cream of the crop.

I'm over it, as I always am. But it's ok not to stroke the ref's egos or pretend they're somehow above criticism. There's a group of cool kids who like to point out how uncool it is to "blame the refs". It's a go to for some to dismiss everything by immediately slotting it in to a homer, blind, don't know the game category. Poopoo'ing it as "here we go again" (but that same token applies).

Some of these hits and misses are obvious, even to the untrained, never played before eye. You only have to know the rules to notice when things aren't really lining up.

I'm still curious as to what JT's penalty was for...anyone? I am not 100% and somehow missed that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine giving 3 clear examples of players in today's NHL having career years in their 30's and your only comeback is those players were #1 overall picks so they don't actually count...  :lol:

imagine using 3 players that have more points than JT entire career before the age for 25 24 in 2 of those cases and think those type of players are common and almost 1.8x more point than Miller at the same age as comparison.. Miller have points than Sedin at 28 so therefore he is better than the Sedins

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I think you just bought into what some of us are saying.

If you don't feel bias is shown, that's an opinion that some don't personally share. Not right or wrong. You're going out of your way to "prove" something here but I'm not sure what it is. The reffing has been fairly atrocious....no, not just for our team but of course it's more glaring to us so we're going to comment on our observations. It's not a crime to not fully support the refs because they're somehow the cream of the crop. Then ref like it.

I can't count the number of times I've seen slashes and slewfoots in the past handful of games that should have been called but weren't. Yet a phantom reach in is a hook, a good solid check at the boards is interference. They don't even know what to call anymore and it's like a random wheel of "what is this called?".

More than this, it's also about how calls are timed. Haphazard and willy nilly. Not really cream of the crop.

I'm over it, as I always am. But it's ok not to stroke the ref's egos or pretend they're somehow above criticism. 

No issues with much of that. And its completely your right to believe in this “bias”. However, there is a certain vibe,  especially during GDT’s, that the refs are “out to get” the Canucks and it is by far the worst aspect of following along on the GDT’s. Sub standard reffing is the same for every team. It just is. And because I know its the same for every team (and I’m sure many other fanbase feel as equally as persecuted as a segment of Canucks fans do), other than some natural annoyance when there is a weak call against my favourite team, I just can’t get on board with the irrational shrieking about the refs (and some individuals actually promoting violence towards them, my god) during the game threads. Kill the damn penalties, score on the PP when we FINALLY get some calls and win the game, like they did against the Kraken.

But in the end, all of us who spend time on this forum are likely to be amongst the biggest fans of the Canucks….and how we chose to express our fandom can be different. 

I’ll be at camp (hopefully in Abby again) in October ready to go again.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

imagine using 3 players that have more points than JT entire career before the age for 25 24 in 2 of those cases and think those type of players are common and almost 1.8x more point than Miller at the same age as comparison.. Miller have points than Sedin at 28 so therefore he is better than the Sedins

Joe Pavelski was a 7th round pick.  He's having a career year at age 38 on pace for over 80 points, better than any other year in his 15 year career.  Can you explain that one?  He never hit 70 points until he was 30 years old.  Is he a better player than JT Miller?

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

He just gave you examples 

he never said they were better players 

go check out Marchand stats post age 30

even players that hit their offensive peak in their mid-20s generally don't become the best versions of themselves until they turn 30 and have the experience of 10 years in the league. 

how many cups have draisaitl and mcdavid carried edmonton to?

I've been a hockey fan since the early 70's and I've never, ever heard of more teams questioning the quality of the refs as this year. 

I think that WE think they are against just us because they are our team, but those are rose coloured glasses. 

The refs are just plain BAD! They are so inconsistent that it's laughable. 

I'm sure that Meyers is baffled as to what is or isn't a penalty. Sometimes he can clear the net and other times he can't look at another player without getting 2 for interference or cross checking. If you were him you too would be leery at being physical. 

Back in the 70s they used to actually talk on the air about the 'marbles' getting too heavy in one pocket of the refs from the calls that were made. 

We ALL know that GB doesn't want any Canadian team to win it all, and the refs have been instructed on how to 'manage' the games to keep them as close as possible. That's supposedly for the betterment of the game, financially speaking. The refs seem to call extremely weak penalties to slow down a team's momentum or make a call with 30 sec left in a game just to show non-favoritism. 

I'll stop my rant now. 

Now is the time to start wanting 'certain' teams to lose, BADLY !!! 

36 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I've been a hockey fan since the early 70's and I've never, ever heard of more teams questioning the quality of the refs as this year. 

I think that WE think they are against just us because they are our team, but those are rose coloured glasses. 

The refs are just plain BAD! They are so inconsistent that it's laughable. 

I'm sure that Meyers is baffled as to what is or isn't a penalty. Sometimes he can clear the net and other times he can't look at another player without getting 2 for interference or cross checking. If you were him you too would be leery at being physical. 

Back in the 70s they used to actually talk on the air about the 'marbles' getting too heavy in one pocket of the refs from the calls that were made. 

We ALL know that GB doesn't want any Canadian team to win it all, and the refs have been instructed on how to 'manage' the games to keep them as close as possible. That's supposedly for the betterment of the game, financially speaking. The refs seem to call extremely weak penalties to slow down a team's momentum or make a call with 30 sec left in a game just to show non-favoritism. 

I'll stop my rant now. 

Now is the time to start wanting 'certain' teams to lose, BADLY !!! 

here's the thing, these are the best officials in the world, what does that tell you?  Officiating a game as fast and fluid as hockey is almost impossible to do with any consistency.  I'd like to know what solution the people who incessantly whine about refs have.  There are, literally, no officials on the planet better than the ones they have in the NHL.........so if there's no better personnel choices, what's the solution?

17 minutes ago, Muttley said:

This was a few days ago:

Fast forward:

Rick said this morning, Alvin was already over there, along with at least with some other GMs

Trying to sell Vancouver as being the place to be. Very high on the Canuck's priorities

Starts at 1:10 min. mark

If we’re gonna sell him on Vancouver Podkolzin will be key.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

For this season anyhow it’s nice to see us dominate the local rivalry for once. When we had the Grizzlies in the NBA the SuperSonics and Grizz never hit off that rivalry same goes with the Sounders and Whitecaps. At least we were the spankers instead of the spanked! I’m not worried that this rivalry won’t grow. Because it will but at least we can beat on the little brother until they grow up to fight back. ( I was the little brother once too). 

Hope that they make those jerseys our official 3rds after this season. We do a lot better in these then we did with the Salmon gradient and Retro gradient jerseys. Make it happen PA/JR!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

here's the thing, these are the best officials in the world, what does that tell you?  Officiating a game as fast and fluid as hockey is almost impossible to do with any consistency.  I'd like to know what solution the people who incessantly whine about refs have.  There are, literally, no officials on the planet better than the ones they have in the NHL.........so if there's no better personnel choices, what's the solution?

I still say we’d have far better reffing if we replaced all NHL officials with lower league ones. The current crop has been immersed in the “keep games close” idea instead of the proper “call games fairly regardless of score or team” way to officiate. I don’t care about a missed or bad call, it happens, it’s always been and always will be a part of hockey, but what I have a problem with is continuous bad or missed calls. If we’re committing more infractions then our opponents we deserve to have more penalties called against us. The opposite should also be true. I don’t think that’s unreasonable to ask out of the people deciding what penalties to call.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Bang on. Maybe take a cue from MLB and their often proposed “robo-umps”. NHL robo-refs incoming. ::D

Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

No love for Klimovich?

Dan Klim doesn’t have nearly the cachet of Podz. Yet.

Speaking of Podz, I wouldn’t be at all shocked if he doesn’t end up going to Abby for the playoffs. I think when they “papered” him down to the NHL so he could be eligible he was still kinda finding his footing in the NHL. Well, since then he has found it big time. Would not be shocked if he made it known he’d rather shut things down for the year….it already being the longest grind he’s ever experienced as a hockey professional..and according to @RomanP, who knows stuff, Podz is going back to Russia in the off season, whereas Dan Klim isn’t going back to Belarus. I don’t think management would force him to play in Abby if he didn’t want to. But the kid loves hockey so much maybe he’s dying to play some more. People tend to speak of him playing in Abby like its a foregone conclusion. Hopefully we will get some clarification soon. I’d love to see Podz play in Abby if indeed he does.

• Thanks 1