The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ugh... seriously? Podkolzin is traded??

To NYR:

Podkolzin

To VAN:

Schneider

RHD are EXTREMELY difficult to obtain.  NYR is fortunate that they are deep on RHD.  Even with losing Schneider, they have Lundkvist waiting to step up.  With the plethora of defensive LHD that they have, Lundkvist works well for them moving forward.  Podkolzin provides them even more depth, and clearly a big, skilled, tenacious forward to add to their unbelievable forward group. 

Canucks get the much coveted young RHD to pair with Hughes moving forward.  Enough said.

To FLA:

Miller

To VAN:

Lundell

Hornqvist

1st Round Pick

Getting ousted from the playoffs this year, Florida realizes they need even more to put them over the top.  Lundell currently with the 6th lowest TOI for Florida has been sheltered extensively during the playoffs.  Miller provides that huge upgrade. 

Canucks get a young and capable top 9 centre in their retool.  Hornqvist is a cap dump to accommodate Miller.  A late 1st round pick to cap off the deal.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Massive underpayment for Miller.  First trade I'd definitely consider as much as I like Podz.

Lundell had 44 points in 65 games this season (on a 55pt pace and over 20 goals)... as a 20 year old rookie playing only 15min a game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lundell had 44 points in 65 games this season (on a 55pt pace and over 20 goals)... as a 20 year old rookie playing only 15min a game.

He's a decent player but I'd want more for the main piece since the rest of the deal is a late first and a cap dump.  Feels too much like the Kesler return where Benning got quantity instead of quality.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's a decent player but I'd want more for the main piece since the rest of the deal is a late first and a cap dump.  Feels too much like the Kesler return where Benning got quantity instead of quality.

Not sure how much you think Miller is gonna get you with Forsberg, Fiala, Kadri, Scheifele, etc. all on the market at the same time...

We're talking about a 20 year old centre that put up numbers that would be 2C on most teams.  All while playing around 15min a game.  If he had more ice time and some serious PP time, he'd be in the 60 to 70 point range.  As a ROOKIE. FYI, Bure and Petey were in that points range as a rookie.

I'd say this trade is more quality than most other "realistic" proposals I've seen.

Edited by HKSR

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To NYR:

Podkolzin

To VAN:

Schneider

RHD are EXTREMELY difficult to obtain.  NYR is fortunate that they are deep on RHD.  Even with losing Schneider, they have Lundkvist waiting to step up.  With the plethora of defensive LHD that they have, Lundkvist works well for them moving forward.  Podkolzin provides them even more depth, and clearly a big, skilled, tenacious forward to add to their unbelievable forward group. 

Canucks get the much coveted young RHD to pair with Hughes moving forward.  Enough said.

To FLA:

Miller

To VAN:

Lundell

Hornqvist

1st Round Pick

Getting ousted from the playoffs this year, Florida realizes they need even more to put them over the top.  Lundell currently with the 6th lowest TOI for Florida has been sheltered extensively during the playoffs.  Miller provides that huge upgrade. 

Canucks get a young and capable top 9 centre in their retool.  Hornqvist is a cap dump to accommodate Miller.  A late 1st round pick to cap off the deal.

Trade would never happen..NEVER

Schneider 20, 6'2 RD- playing in playoffs will not be traded..      Lundkvist 22, RD, 5'11 --will be traded...

Would not trade Podkolzin future is bright and he is only 20...

I do like Lundell but the addition of Hornqvist makes that a pretty crappy return.  A 1st and a good young player/prospect is the minimum of what you should expect for Miller.  They should be paying more to shed the Hornqvist contract.  I would also imagine that any trade involving Miller likely involves a conditional pick based on whether or not he is re-signed. 

We can address our RHD by doing Miller to LA for Clarke and a 2nd this year. 

Meets both teams on-ice needs and works cap-wise for each. 

There's no room for Clarke on their right side and we have zero depth on d. 

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I do like Lundell but the addition of Hornqvist makes that a pretty crappy return.  A 1st and a good young player/prospect is the minimum of what you should expect for Miller.  They should be paying more to shed the Hornqvist contract.  I would also imagine that any trade involving Miller likely involves a conditional pick based on whether or not he is re-signed. 

Conditional picks aren't allowed anymore.    I'm not so sure about these deals but the both seem like decent risk reward situations.   In most cases we will get a roster player back for Miller to help that team make cap.   One season just like his deal.   Ride it out and hopefully see the benefit a year later.    As for another poster.   Bonino was no Kesler but did put up 50 points which is Horvat territory.   Wasn't a bad trade really - about what one could expect with only two teams he was willing to go to.   Sutter of course didn't work out - mostly because of injuries and never really earned that deal either. 

• Thanks 1

I think Rangers say no to that trade. 

Florida deal is possible. They are definitely in a win now mode and Miller could be a good fit for them. 

The cap dump of Hornqvist is a little much, so if they take him back Panthers should add a 2nd round pick as well. Or we can just retain a little on JT for them. 

They don't have a 1st this year, so it would be one a couple years down the road which isn't the worst thing either. Maybe they will be worse then also and we end up with a higher pick...

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Conditional picks aren't allowed anymore.    I'm not so sure about these deals but the both seem like decent risk reward situations.   In most cases we will get a roster player back for Miller to help that team make cap.   One season just like his deal.   Ride it out and hopefully see the benefit a year later.    As for another poster.   Bonino was no Kesler but did put up 50 points which is Horvat territory.   Wasn't a bad trade really - about what one could expect with only two teams he was willing to go to.   Sutter of course didn't work out - mostly because of injuries and never really earned that deal either. 

Ah, I didn't realize that.  Thanks!

Still don't like Hornqvist in the deal though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

To NYR:

Podkolzin

To VAN:

Schneider

To FLA:

Miller

To VAN:

Lundell

Hornqvist

1st Round Pick

Why in the world, at this point, would you even consider trading Podkolzin? This kid is going to rip up the NHL for years to come. 

• Cheers 1

The other issue with the Florida trade is that FLA are in cap hell next season. They really need to keep Lundell (great player on an ELC) and get rid of Hornqvist just to be able to fit under the cap. They cannot afford Miller in return and they certainly wouldn't be able to afford to resign him to a new higher value contract.

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Anyone here remember peak-Messier? The guy who could play any way you wanted, was strong and tough and had really good offensive instincts? Well that's Podkolzin. Why would you ever trade that away?

*New and improved, without the side of douchebag

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Anyone here remember peak-Messier? The guy who could play any way you wanted, was strong and tough and had really good offensive instincts? Well that's Podkolzin. Why would you ever trade that away?

I only remember the Lays eating POS Messier.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

To NYR:

Podkolzin

To VAN:

Schneider

star trek spock GIF

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

To FLA:

Miller

To VAN:

Lundell

Hornqvist

1st Round Pick

problem is tho FLA doesn't have a 1st round pick until 2025

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Trade would never happen..NEVER

Schneider 20, 6'2 RD- playing in playoffs will not be traded..      Lundkvist 22, RD, 5'11 --will be traded...

Would not trade Podkolzin future is bright and he is only 20...

Schneider is a good player. But everyone has their price, and for the right price, Schneider would be traded. 

If the Rangers are unwilling, that’s fine. We go to the Kings who have just as many RHD prospects…

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

A bit early to be making proclamations like that.  Podkolzin is looking like a solid NHL’er abs could be a great player, but cone on.  
I know people here have an issue with Messier. But he’s a hall of farmer, was named as one of the top 100 all time players in the nhl and is widely considered one of the best captains of all time.  To say that’s what Podkolzin is going to be is aiming way to high. 

• Cheers 1