The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawsuit Against Hockey Canada/CHL (2018 World Junior Team)

Rate this topic

A follow up on the story of Mitch Miller, the abusive hickey player.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/mitchell-miller-named-ushl-player-of-the-year-despite-vile-bullying-saga/ar-AAXWptl?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=efa87763d4c24d4e83a635904ed73575

Former Arizona Coyotes draft pick Mitchell Miller, who had his rights renounced by the NHL club after it was revealed he abused and bullied a disabled classmate in 2016, has won the USHL’s Player of the Year.

The now-20-year-old Miller, who also had his scholarship to North Dakota reneged and sat out an entire season after news of his gruesome past actions came to light in 2020, returned to the top-tier U.S. junior league for the 2021-22 campaign.

Amongst the repugnant behaviour carried out by Miller included repeatedly referring to classmate Isaiah Meyer-Crothers — who is a person of colour and disabled — with the N-word, as well as forcing him to lick a lollipop that had been previously wiped against a bathroom urinal. As a result, Meyer-Crothers had to undergo tests for HIV, hepatitis, and various other sexually transmitted diseases.

Shortly after the 2020 NHL Draft, where Miller was selected by Arizona in the fourth round, it was reported by Craig Harris and Jose M. Romero of the Arizona Republic that Miller and another teen "admitted in juvenile court to bullying an African American classmate with developmental disabilities” in 2016.

“He pretended to be my friend and made me do things I didn't want to do,” Meyer-Crothers said to the Republic last summer. “In junior high, I got beat up by him. … Everyone thinks he's so cool that he gets to go to the NHL, but I don't see how someone can be cool when you pick on someone and bully someone your entire life.”

Isaiah's mother Joni, who claims Miller's bullying and abuse of her son Isaiah actually began all the way back in second grade, told The Athletic in August of 2021 that Isaiah and the family had still not received any kind of formal apology from the former Coyotes pick, aside from the the court-ordered one Miller was essentially forced to write after his conviction in 2016.

The decision to name Miller as the USHL's Player of the Year and Defenseman of the Year in 2021-22 — an award voted on by the league’s general managers — has been widely scorned, with users from across Twitter and other platforms expressing their disappointment with the league for the move, sharing concern that it perpetuates the sport's toxicity and platforms the convicted bully.

The announcement is just one part of a laundry list of toxic behaviours surrounding the sport that has reared its head in the last year. Just recently, Hockey Canada and the CHL settled a lawsuit over an alleged sexual assault involving Canadian World Junior players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tweets at the link.

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, Goal:thecup said:

You are not alone; I am also on a much too long list of boyfriends and friends who have had someone harmed by crimes such as these.

Like you, it still affects me every single day and it was a very very long time ago.

I hope that we can both find peace along with our friends/significant others some day. Or if not peace at least being able to live with it. I’m  so terribly sad to know that they also were forced to go through these atrocities. I don’t have much that can bring comfort to people in these situations, but I’m sending a big virtual hug over the internet to you and the victims of these crimes. I also know there’s many more stories like this or even worse that happened to people who users here know. They just haven’t told you yet. We are evolving to become better humans, but this is one issue we have so much work to do on especially in Canada and BC.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Vintage 1

government announces audit of hockey Canada;

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canada-s-minister-of-sport-launching-financial-audit-of-hockey-canada-following-lawsuit/ar-AAY1i6o?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=323e388c71f84edd8442514c23883cf2

Canada's sports minister has ordered a forensic audit of Hockey Canada after the organization recently settled a lawsuit with a woman who alleged she was sexually assaulted by multiple members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team.

Pascale St-Onge said she was "shocked and angry" and said an investigation will be carried out to ensure public funds were not used in an out-of-court settlement to "cover up" the story.

TSN was the first to report on the lawsuit.

The plaintiff, identified as "E.M." in court records, claimed she was repeatedly assaulted while intoxicated in a London, Ont. hotel room in 2018 following a Hockey Canada event honouring the gold medal-winning junior team.

The woman, now 24, was seeking $3.55 million in damages.

Details of the settlement were not released.

None of the allegations against the players have been proven in court.

Bloc Quebecois MP Sebastien Lemire, who introduced Thursday's motion in the House of Commons calling for an investigation, said he was "outraged" by the allegations.

St-Onge says Canadians deserve to know

"How do we learn [about this] four years after the fact?" he asked. "Have we covered up charges of sex scandal allegations involving Hockey Canada players?"

St-Onge said Canadians deserve to know the truth.

In a statement released on May 26, Hockey Canada said the plaintiff chose not to speak with the both the police and Hockey Canada's independent investigator.

The organization also said the woman did not want to identify the players involved.

"This was her right and we fully respect her wishes," the statement said.

The National Hockey League also launched an investigation into the allegations.

"We will endeavour to determine the underlying facts and, to the extent this may involve players who are now in the NHL, we will determine what action, if any, would be appropriate," the league said in statement.

• Thanks 4

On 6/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, gurn said:

A follow up on the story of Mitch Miller, the abusive hickey player.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/mitchell-miller-named-ushl-player-of-the-year-despite-vile-bullying-saga/ar-AAXWptl?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=efa87763d4c24d4e83a635904ed73575

Former Arizona Coyotes draft pick Mitchell Miller, who had his rights renounced by the NHL club after it was revealed he abused and bullied a disabled classmate in 2016, has won the USHL’s Player of the Year.

The now-20-year-old Miller, who also had his scholarship to North Dakota reneged and sat out an entire season after news of his gruesome past actions came to light in 2020, returned to the top-tier U.S. junior league for the 2021-22 campaign.

Amongst the repugnant behaviour carried out by Miller included repeatedly referring to classmate Isaiah Meyer-Crothers — who is a person of colour and disabled — with the N-word, as well as forcing him to lick a lollipop that had been previously wiped against a bathroom urinal. As a result, Meyer-Crothers had to undergo tests for HIV, hepatitis, and various other sexually transmitted diseases.

Shortly after the 2020 NHL Draft, where Miller was selected by Arizona in the fourth round, it was reported by Craig Harris and Jose M. Romero of the Arizona Republic that Miller and another teen "admitted in juvenile court to bullying an African American classmate with developmental disabilities” in 2016.

“He pretended to be my friend and made me do things I didn't want to do,” Meyer-Crothers said to the Republic last summer. “In junior high, I got beat up by him. … Everyone thinks he's so cool that he gets to go to the NHL, but I don't see how someone can be cool when you pick on someone and bully someone your entire life.”

Isaiah's mother Joni, who claims Miller's bullying and abuse of her son Isaiah actually began all the way back in second grade, told The Athletic in August of 2021 that Isaiah and the family had still not received any kind of formal apology from the former Coyotes pick, aside from the the court-ordered one Miller was essentially forced to write after his conviction in 2016.

The decision to name Miller as the USHL's Player of the Year and Defenseman of the Year in 2021-22 — an award voted on by the league’s general managers — has been widely scorned, with users from across Twitter and other platforms expressing their disappointment with the league for the move, sharing concern that it perpetuates the sport's toxicity and platforms the convicted bully.

The announcement is just one part of a laundry list of toxic behaviours surrounding the sport that has reared its head in the last year. Just recently, Hockey Canada and the CHL settled a lawsuit over an alleged sexual assault involving Canadian World Junior players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tweets at the link.

I’m horrified at this completely despicable vote. It really does show an old boys club. The reputation is well earned. I am also encouraged that instances like this are both being reported on and also generating public backlash. It wasn’t that long ago this type of instance was chalked up to boys will be boys and was acceptable behavior. We cannot create a better society until we stop the abuse of other human beings in any form. 

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The players know.  These guys all talk and there were eight of them involved.  No way that's a secret.  The names will come out and hopefully the NHL does what's right and bans them all. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The players know.  These guys all talk and there were eight of them involved.  No way that's a secret.  The names will come out and hopefully the NHL does what's right and bans them all. 

It's probably true that Cale Makar knows the alleged perpetrators, but since Cale wasn't part of it, it can get tricky for him if the person he heard it from denies saying what Makar said he heard:

Makar: "X told me that he and the others did it." 

X: "I didn't say that at all."

13 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

It's probably true that Cale Makar knows the alleged perpetrators, but since Cale wasn't part of it, it can get tricky for him if the person he heard it from denies saying what Makar said he heard:

Makar: "X told me that he and the others did it." 

X: "I didn't say that at all."

He probably legally cannot talk about it anyways. If there was a settlement he would likely have to keep things to himself, as would anyone who knows or was involved.

18 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

He probably legally cannot talk about it anyways. If there was a settlement he would likely have to keep things to himself, as would anyone who knows or was involved.

Hopefully the league productively helps the innocent players in this situation with mental health assistance.  I'd personally have a hell of a hard time bottling that kind of thing up while the perps walked free.

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully the league productively helps the innocent players in this situation with mental health assistance.  I'd personally have a hell of a hard time bottling that kind of thing up while the perps walked free.

As someone who knows alot of ex OHL players and a few ex pro's, hockey is notorious for awful behavior towards young women. I have heard alot of bad stories alot of these guys just laugh at (sure some may be bs locker room talk, but the volume of it tells me alot are true)....testosterone, ego, immaturity, lack of good morals...you'd be surprised how many of them just say 'meh, I wasn't involved not my issue'.

There is a term called a puck bunny...they assume any girl who hangs around the team is open to whatever they want...the fact they have coined a term, says a great deal.

Sad and sickening. 

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Hockey Canada says no government funds used in lawsuit settlement: 
https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-says-no-government-funds-used-in-lawsuit-settlement-1.1812882

So I guess a sponsor forked over the money or a rich hockey player?

Excellent point. So where else does Hockey Canada receive funding from? I know that there is a Hockey Canada Foundation but that money is supposed to be used for grants and scholarships etc. If it comes out that it came from a sponsor there is going to be hell to pay either from an unknowing sponsor or an uproar towards a knowing sponsor.

Follow the money.

Disappointing but unsurprising outcome.

When we started to hear names of players that weren't involved, I was hoping that'd continue until we knew who was involved.

That could have opened the door to a small chance of some justice, but sadly that's not the case.

• Upvote 1

Rough day for Hockey Canada under oath.  Should produce some positive changes.  One of which should be some education for the incoming players at all levels of junior hockey and other competitive athletics.  I sat and asked myself how could something like this happen?  My experiences as an 18 year old were consistent rejection in the dating pool and certainly the hookup scene.  These players it’s almost the total opposite where there access to casual hookups is so much greater than the general public there is a definite blind spot to the what’s out of the ordinary or what’s wrong.  They definitely are wrong in this case and future generations coming up need some direction on this.  You can imagine a lot of the players leave home for the first time at 16-17 and maybe hardly had girlfriends and then you enter an environment with 18-20 year old peers and a easy come easy go social scene not hard to see where the culture shared part of the blame.  Ugly day hopefully positive change as a result.

• Cheers 4