The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings re-sign Kevin Fiala

Just now, mll said:

Kaprizov and Fiala don't play together - weren't even on the same PP unit for most of the season.  Kaprizov has been tied to the hip to Zuccarello ever since joining the Wild.

Boldy looks very promising and Guerin hopes Rossi/Jost will replace Fiala on that Boldy-Gaudreau line.

I know, I just mean in terms of guys with high end offensive flair and drive to their game. Fiala will be missed by many there. 

You know MII, I'm pretty impressed with your knowledge when it comes to the game of hockey. You know what your talking about that's for sure 

8 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Miller finished ninth in NHL scoring, Here are the salaries of the others in the top 10:

McDavid 12.5

Gaudreau 6.75 with a big raise coming this summer

Huberdeau 5.9 with a raise coming 23-24

Draisaitl 8.5

Kaprizov 9.0

Stamkos 8.5

Matthews 11.64

Tkachuk 7.0 with a big raise coming this summer

Miller 5.25

Marner 10.903

Anybody who thinks Miller signs for anything less than 8.5 or 9 million is living in a dream world. Or, as Brian Burke once remarked, "a drug-induced fantasy".

Wow, seeing Miller and his price tag next to those other guys really puts things into perspective. :o There will absolutely be no shortage of interest in Miller.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Miller finished ninth in NHL scoring, Here are the salaries of the others in the top 10:

McDavid 12.5

Gaudreau 6.75 with a big raise coming this summer

Huberdeau 5.9 with a raise coming 23-24

Draisaitl 8.5

Kaprizov 9.0

Stamkos 8.5

Matthews 11.64

Tkachuk 7.0 with a big raise coming this summer

Miller 5.25

Marner 10.903

Anybody who thinks Miller signs for anything less than 8.5 or 9 million is living in a dream world. Or, as Brian Burke once remarked, "a drug-induced fantasy".

gold Jerry, I tell ya..

3 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Wonder how this affects JTs negotiations 

3 1/2 years younger scored similar goals, 14 less points contract brings him to 33 (100 % of contract is prime years) I do understand centre’s Seem to fetch higher value than wingers and JT is a bit more proven but I do not see a world where he is getting more than 8 million and if he wants term 7/8 years that number HAS to come down to 7 to make sense 

not much,

miller has been a ppg player for the Canucks while they were a bad team, can play center, wins faceoffs, leads team, leader etc.etc.

Fiala was a 50pt player at best, until minny recently made a push to the playoffs and arguably one of the best 5v5 teams in the league and broke out to 80+ pts.

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

$55m and change over 7 years; is Fiala worth that?

Fiala 5'10, 26 soon-- 7.785 X 7 yrs .. I think that's a decent deal . The guy is so fast and talented.. I guess LA  Kings will not be trading for Miller ...

2021-22 -GP 82 - G 33 - PTS 85

2020-21 - GP 50 - G 20 - PTS 40

2019-20 -GP 64 -   23-   PTS  54

Boeser using Fiala stats and contract Boeser and Canucks should try and get 3yr X 6.5 million deal done..

Lets hope Canucks get Miller trade done soon.. NJ Devils -- Carolina -- NYR ? -- Columbus... 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Could work and it could also be a “Skinner” contract.  

Imo, Skinner failed with the Sabres cause they are a poorly constructed & coached team: too many high picks that are used to hogging the puck; and Botterill is a more clueless GM when compared to JB.  Anyways, I hope we win a cup before they do; and they may had loss the best player in the Eichel trade but they also gained, what there needs: NHL assets that are more willing to play a team game, more lottery tickets and cap space.  

Seems like a good contract, under 8M for an over PPG player but Fiala doesn't do much else - he just scores and puts up points. Miller is probably worth 9M based on this deal but he's got age against him.

Fairly manageable deal for LAK but Fiala has only really had 1 good year so could be a bit of a gamble.

29 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Seems like a good contract, under 8M for an over PPG player but Fiala doesn't do much else - he just scores and puts up points. Miller is probably worth 9M based on this deal but he's got age against him.

Fairly manageable deal for LAK but Fiala has only really had 1 good year so could be a bit of a gamble.

I don't think you've watched him play for you to say that he doesn't do much else. He drives his own line, much like how Miller drives it. 

He scored most of his pts from 5v5 and was 10th among forwards in the league. That's without playing with kaprisov 95% of the time as well. He's also an annoying pest, and can get players under their skin. Do you not remember how much of a pest he was against the Canucks and how he would make demko's job harder cuz no one on the team stepped up to intimidate his ass to stop? He basically does what you'd want a winger to do, win battles, be tough to play against, drive the line, put up points while at it. Not sure I'd say that he's just a perimeter, floater, that just puts up pts and does nothing else as you describe him to be. 

Edited by secksii

On 6/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, secksii said:

not much,

miller has been a ppg player for the Canucks while they were a bad team, can play center, wins faceoffs, leads team, leader etc.etc.

Fiala was a 50pt player at best, until minny recently made a push to the playoffs and arguably one of the best 5v5 teams in the league and broke out to 80+ pts.

Fiala was on pace for 69 points in 2019-20, and 66 points in 2020-21.

Not his fault seasons were shortened due to Covid. In fact, he's only missed a handful of games due to injury. He's been a remarkably healthy player, and a consistent producer despite a lack of quality linemates.

A few people have asked how this contract affects the Miller talks. But I'm wondering how it affects Horvat's. His past 2 seasons were very similar statistically, and he also has often had to play with less talented linemates. Bo hasn't had the big breakout, but he's also a C, which carries more value. I'm thinking his ask will be pretty close to this number.