The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He had mono in the summer, but let's keep ragging on him for playing poorly leading into this tourney. Why people would want to suggest that he is a bust at this point in time is beyond me...

I asked/mentioned this a page or so back. It was reported he had mono last Feb/March. Did he get it again in the summer or something?

I get that it can have lingering affects, but we’re approaching a year since it was reported he contracted it. Yes, it could have affected his training, and yes, it’s possible he is still playing catch up. But at the same time, you’re an athlete, you still find ways to train, and he hasn’t missed any playing time this season (due to mono) that I know of. And yet, it seems like every second post in here mentions it. It just seems strange to me, but perhaps I am in the dark on some info.

I personally don’t view his play as having been bad this tournament, but he definitely hasn’t stood out for anything in particular. His engagement in play still seems fairly weak which has been my biggest issue with him for a while now. If mono has affected his conditioning this much, start doing some V02 training or something.

10 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I asked/mentioned this a page or so back. It was reported he had mono last Feb/March. Did he get it again in the summer or something?

I get that it can have lingering affects, but we’re approaching a year since it was reported he contracted it. Yes, it could have affected his training, and yes, it’s possible he is still playing catch up. But at the same time, you’re an athlete, you still find ways to train, and he hasn’t missed any playing time this season (due to mono) that I know of. And yet, it seems like every second post in here mentions it. It just seems strange to me, but perhaps I am in the dark on some info.

I personally don’t view his play as having been bad this tournament, but he definitely hasn’t stood out for anything in particular. His engagement in play still seems fairly weak which has been my biggest issue with him for a while now. If mono has affected his conditioning this much, start doing some V02 training or something.

He had head injury in November 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-top-prospect-jonathan-lekkerimaki-felled-by-apparent-head-shot

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, mordekai said:

Right, I had forgotten about that. Definitely helps explain a bit. Thanks.

Interesting that that article also mentions him getting mono in the summer, which is somewhat contrary to the original diagnosis last Feb/March. Can you get mono twice that quickly? Or are people just meaning he still had it in the summer, or implying that it had affected his training in the summer? Genuinely curious since I keep seeing summer mentioned.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Try watching Lakerimaki away from the puck.  The guy is a very responsible 200 foot player.  He’s been good with puck on stick too.  More points than Lysol, Oger, and that other guy combined, and a plus player.  Don’t focus so much on the puck or you’ll get embarrassed.  

Maybe he can watch himself without the puck from the press box. 

• Haha 1

The fact he was benched is concerning.  Nobody can claim otherwise.  Whether it was for poor play or potential health reasons that contributed to poor or lacklustre play.

The tournament is not one I will put much stock in and never really have.  It is always concerning to see a D+1 player not stand out at the highest level for various reasons.  But I won't necessarily write someone off because of it.  

This prospect is a 2-3 year project which may fit our timeline well.  But I still had my eyes on other players in the draft and won't write a prospect off until it is obvious the progression is just not there and that won't be based off of a single tournament.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The fact he was benched is concerning.  Nobody can claim otherwise.  Whether it was for poor play or potential health reasons that contributed to poor or lacklustre play.

The tournament is not one I will put much stock in and never really have.  It is always concerning to see a D+1 player not stand out at the highest level for various reasons.  But I won't necessarily write someone off because of it.  

This prospect is a 2-3 year project which may fit our timeline well.  But I still had my eyes on other players in the draft and won't write a prospect off until it is obvious the progression is just not there and that won't be based off of a single tournament.

Agreed WH. Not the player I wanted in the first round (Owen Pickering) but he’s our Canuck prospect now and all we can do is watch and hope he becomes a contributor for us in a few years. People are fast to jump on this kid being a bust, and that’s not right.

5 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Agreed WH. Not the player I wanted in the first round (Owen Pickering) but he’s our Canuck prospect now and all we can do is watch and hope he becomes a contributor for us in a few years. People are fast to jump on this kid being a bust, and that’s not right.

Bichsel for me.

I hung on to even OJ until it was cemented he was done here

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Not sure about the benching, but he matched up almost every shift against bedard on NYE .........that's not nothing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

I was down for Pickering too.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Bichsel for me.

I hung on to even OJ until it was cemented he was done here

Bischel would have been decent. Went right after of course.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Skimming through these pages, I haven't seen anybody say that he's a bust, although maybe you could find one or two instances with a more detailed 'skim' (and that doesn't include saying he's been a "bustaroo") :lol: What people are saying is that it's concerning how poorly he has played since being drafted, considering how highly-rated he was at the draft.  That's just stating fact.  And to get defensive about someone saying this means that you are being overly sensitive and probably wearing rose coloured glasses --- which is another fact!-_-

10 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Skimming through these pages, I haven't seen anybody say that he's a bust, although maybe you could find one or two instances with a more detailed 'skim' (and that doesn't include saying he's been a "bustaroo") :lol: What people are saying is that it's concerning how poorly he has played since being drafted, considering how highly-rated he was at the draft.  That's just stating fact.  And to get defensive about someone saying this means that you are being overly sensitive and probably wearing rose coloured glasses --- which is another fact!-_-

He's been weak sauce. All hope is not lost. He still has that weapon in his arsenal that could compel him to being an NHL player as it did for Brock. I think most of the frustration comes from him not being a player of any need for our org. When there were so many big D, PWF and Shut down 2/3C available.  Picking the small winger and then watching him fall flat on his face in his D+1 is pretty depressing. 

On the bright side it took Naslund drafted 17oa  5 years of poor play and 1 decent season before Pitty cashed in and traded him for a 7th OA power forward. 

Edited by hammertime

27 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

soft one dimensional player who is not fast with injury issues - sounds like a classic Canuck already wooohooo

My question is would Allvin have taken him if he wasn’t Swedish?

We don’t need to be taking players because of their nationality, and I’m not convinced Allvin didn’t rank him higher because he’s Swedish.

We weren’t gonna hit another home run with another Pettersson selection. Not that we need another player like Pettersson anyways. We need to be rounding out our team with players with different skill sets. Not everyone can be a sniper we need playmakers. We also need big bodied guys that can dig in the corners and make plays.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My question is would Allvin have taken him if he wasn’t Swedish?

We don’t need to be taking players because of their nationality, and I’m not convinced Allvin didn’t rank him higher because he’s Swedish.

We weren’t gonna hit another home run with another Pettersson selection. Not that we need another player like Pettersson anyways. We need to be rounding out our team with players with different skill sets. Not everyone can be a sniper we need playmakers. We also need big bodied guys that can dig in the corners and make plays.

It almost seems like the most predictable thing ever that Allvin’s first pick was a Swede. Not saying he wasn’t the BPA….but….

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1