The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

Rutherford basically said they will be gunning to improve the forwards via free agency and upgrades to the D will come through trades....I can see Garland being moved to improve the D...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You sure have been hoping we get this guy @JM_

yeah I'm really excited. We've been really hurt by a lack of speed on our team and this is a huge upgrade, plus he's not small and can PK. He's not a floater. 

Star Trek Mariachi GIF

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

A lot of speed, fairly solid all-around.  He has been a bit lost in the playoffs, historically, however.

I can live with this since he has offensive upside.  Much better to spend money and term on this profile than the limited skillset type of players we used to spend it on.

• Like 1

• -AJ- featured this topic

Ilya Mikheyev Bio

Mikheyev was an instant hit in the NHL after signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs on May 6, 2019, following four full seasons with Avangard Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League, his hometown team.

The 25-year-old forward made the Maple Leafs at training camp and made his NHL debut a memorable one by scoring one goal and assisting on another against the Ottawa Senators in Toronto's season-opener on Oct. 2, 2019. He became a regular and had scored his fourth goal in six games on Dec. 27, 2019, when a skate cut in a game severed an artery and tendons in his right wrist. He had surgery but was sidelined for the remainder of the season after scoring eight goals and 15 assists in 39 games.

Mikheyev came to the Maple Leafs after leading Avangard Omsk in scoring in 2017-18 and 2018-19, and helping his team reach the KHL's Gagarin Cup finals with 11 points (four goals, seven assists) in 13 games.

• Thanks 2

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder if he plays on Bo's line alongside Podkolzin or Kuzmenko, he was scoring at a 30 goal pace on Toronto's 2nd and sometimes 3rd line.

I wonder about Petey, he needs someone who is gonna go in and win the puck battles and have the hockey IQ to cycle

I imagine there's another move coming before we can predict the top-9

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

I say Pearson, Garland is on a great contact and plays with speed, skill and draws penalties. There has to be a trade in the works.

Think the Canucks just have to be cap compliant by the start of the season. They can still sign players now even if they’re over the cap.