The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

3 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Someone (Garland or Pearson) is obviously getting traded to make room for him. Management must see this as an upgrade (potentially?) Time will tell

At this point it is wishful thinking anyone is being moved. It is looking more like a playoff mandate all over again. 

I mean we will probably try to move Miller again at TDL if we aren't in the playoffs by then. it will be our last chance. And if we fail to move him, then lol.... Another really crappy scenario is we make the playoffs, exit early, and kept Miller for nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Look Mason Marchment just got 4.5 x4 years for a "breakout year" that saw him score 18 goals! If you think we overpaid you haven't been paying attention to what middle 6 forwards with upside potential are commanding theses days

Marchment scored 0.87 pts/game last year and is a physical presence. 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Mikheyev scored at a higher goal pace and was the main offensive play driver on his line and was an important PKer. Marchment was not the driver, but benefited from a stacked team. Marchment had d zone starts only 40ish percent of the time, Mikheyev was at 60. Marchment hit more but barely saw the PK. Mikheyev is winning races and starting plays, Marchment not so much.

I would've been happy with a Marchment signing, but Mikheyev at the same AAV is better IMO.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

So what our guy scored almost .4 goals a game vs Marchments .33. Maybe more physical but Ilya's tenacious and faster. Still say it shows we didn't overpay given the market that's my only point here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

for someone who was on pace for 32 goals last season (extrapolated data, i know)...there sure seem to be a lot of posters and radio pundits alike harping on him offering 'virtually zero' offensive upside.

Points per game last season puts him in between Boeser and Pearson. Points per 60 minutes played puts him between Miller and Pearson (Miller was 2nd here to Garland). Hits per 60 minutes puts him between Horvat and Hoglander. In TO he played 3rd line ES minutes with PP2 and PK2 minutes. Top 6 here "could" see his production go up.

Basically he's a younger and faster Pearson with more offensive upside. Signing Mikheyev is not good news for Hoglander. Competition for a top 6 spot just got tougher.

As to the money, it's typical of fans here to believe free agents should sign at bargain basement salaries here. Free agency is not the place to find bargain basement prices. The only way you get a great deal from a UFA is you are a contender or it's been the players lifelong dream to play for that team. Even then, that desrie only gets so much goodwill. If you're a bad team you will overpay. In between those two you'll be paying market price balanced between best offer and best opportunity. Meaning a UFA "might" take a slightly lower deal if he sees better opportunity with one team over another but you'll be paying market price.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fair enough. But he will get his chances playing in the top six for sure. 

Well if he's a middle 6 he'll definitely be playing top6  

1st and 2nd lines are top 6.

2nd and 3rd lines are middle 6

3rd and 4th lines are bottom 6..

He'll definitely get 2nd line TOI. 

I think it's a very good signing.  He's 27 yrs old. Big guy with speed and high motor. 

A couple weeks ago I read an article saying this guy is the 2nd fastest skater in the league after McDavid.  That's a lot of speed. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Well if he's a middle 6 he'll definitely be playing top6  

1st and 2nd lines are top 6.

2nd and 3rd lines are middle 6

3rd and 4th lines are bottom 6..

He'll definitely get 2nd line TOI. 

I think it's a very good signing.  He's 27 yrs old. Big guy with speed and high motor. 

A couple weeks ago I read an article saying this guy is the 2nd fastest skater in the league after McDavid.  That's a lot of speed. 

He will be 17-22 minutes a game depending on how many penalties we take.  He will be one of our first forward pair out on the PK.  Get 5 on 5 regular shift.  Drance was saying it’s pretty much considered Mikheyev is the fastest player in the league without the puck.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

This is the big signing of today.

$4.75M... something has gotta give.

It’s got to be Miller. Getting rid of Garland would be a mistake, he’s so good 5 v 5 and we need more player like him that are on good contracts.   Miller is getting moved guaranteed 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He will be 17-22 minutes a game depending on how many penalties we take.  He will be one of our first forward pair out on the PK.  Get 5 on 5 regular shift.  Drance was saying it’s pretty much considered Mikheyev is the fastest player in the league without the puck.  

Well that's exciting as hell considering his size. 

Here's looking forward to Shorty calling out an increased number of "shorties" for the team this year.  

Love Mik's burst.  More breakaways and 2on1's are welcome, especially if we can improve our finish with them.

30 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Except, if he was so good the Leafs would have moved him up. Or he would have gone on a scoring steak when Marner was injured. Both never happened lol. 

I think he’s going to be a good middle six player with some offense, and a great penalty killer for the team. It feels like with the signings of Lazar and Ilya, there was a focus to improve the middle to bottom six, as well as the penalty killing unit, so that was a disaster last season under Green. The team could probably score decently without Miller by committee, but if they didn’t improve their PK, then it wouldn’t have mattered. They would have been bleeding defensively, not being able to keep the puck out of their own net. 

I remembered last season, listening to the games, or watching some of them. That whenever the other team was on the PP, it felt like it was a certainty the other team would score, and more often than not, they would. Can’t have that again coming into this season. 

• Cheers 1