The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Klingberg has got progressively worse every year since 2018.  Yes, he puts up points, but half of those come from playing point on PP1, which he won't be here.  He also starts 60% O zone, which he won't here.  He does not hit, does not block shots, and does not PK.  He is a borderline liability in his end, and is right at the top of the league in turnovers.

People talk about OELs deal as though it is an albatross, why would we look to sign another 30YO to a long term 7+ mil deal?  Last year OEL was a better player, and people complain about his deal, so why double down?

Myers is not ideal, but he is far better defensively, plays PK, hits and block  and only has 2 years left on his deal.  He is a better fit for this team now, and with his expiring deal, going forward as well.

By adding Kuzmenko and Mikeyev, we have one of the deepest top forward groups in the league, we should be able to roll 3 legit scoring lines.  We need defensive help, stay at home RD, not an offensive D who doesn't really play D.  To me this is pretty much the same situation as when the Leafs brought in Barrie to fix their D.

Like you said signing Michaev and Kuzmenko we have a deep forward group. 

Those forwards need the puck. The puck has to be pushed up the ice tape to tape  quickly for them to to be successful.   

Forwards can't do nothing if D can't get the puck up to them. 

Klingberg brings that RHD puck mover with speed and skill  with 1st unit PP ability. RHD that can walk the line on PP is one of the hardest players to get in the NHL. 

Ofcourse it all depends on the contract and like you said 7 years is going to be too much. But he'll be a player for 5 years the way he skates and plays the game.. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

Klingberg has got progressively worse every year since 2018.  Yes, he puts up points, but half of those come from playing point on PP1, which he won't be here.  He also starts 60% O zone, which he won't here.  He does not hit, does not block shots, and does not PK.  He is a borderline liability in his end, and is right at the top of the league in turnovers.

People talk about OELs deal as though it is an albatross, why would we look to sign another 30YO to a long term 7+ mil deal?  Last year OEL was a better player, and people complain about his deal, so why double down?

Myers is not ideal, but he is far better defensively, plays PK, hits and block  and only has 2 years left on his deal.  He is a better fit for this team now, and with his expiring deal, going forward as well.

By adding Kuzmenko and Mikeyev, we have one of the deepest top forward groups in the league, we should be able to roll 3 legit scoring lines.  We need defensive help, stay at home RD, not an offensive D who doesn't really play D.  To me this is pretty much the same situation as when the Leafs brought in Barrie to fix their D.

Klingberg could easily turn into a defence version of Player Name for us.. (contract) he’s not going to get the offensive opportunity, he’d put up 30 points and be a liability.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Like you said signing Michaev and Kuzmenko we have a deep forward group. 

Those forwards need the puck. The puck has to be pushed up the ice tape to tape  quickly for them to to be successful.   

Forwards can't do nothing if D can't get the puck up to them. 

Klingberg brings that RHD puck mover with speed and skill  with 1st unit PP ability. RHD that can walk the line on PP is one of the hardest players to get in the NHL. 

Ofcourse it all depends on the contract and like you said 7 years is going to be too much. But he'll be a player for 5 years the way he skates and plays the game.. 

Yes, he is a PMD, which is a huge role.  I feel that we have that in Hughes, OEL, and hopefully Rathbone.  I think this team has enough depth and skill to score a lot of goals as it is.  Our biggest issue will be the PK, and we need to get better defensive D, the guys we can put out at end of games.  Klingberg is certainly not those things. If we are putting 6-7mill into our D long term, I feel it has to be for stay at home D.

Just my 2 cents.  

4 hours ago, Spoosh said:

I don’t remember the exact words used by JR but he said we are very poor at exiting our own zone and need to get better at that. Klingberg to my understanding would be a serious upgrade on that front. 

I’m not sure Klingberg is the answer to that. But that is what our management group is thinking about and would support the theory of us trying to sign him as soon as our cap situation is resolved to some degree.

To improve zone exits, you need to actually be sound defensively to get the puck back. That's not Klingberg, hence why he started the majority of his shifts at the opposite end of the rink. People seem to confuse/conflate zone exits with offensive D. The two are not the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To improve zone exits, you need to actually be sound defensively to get the puck back. That's not Klingberg, hence why he started the majority of his shifts at the opposite end of the rink. People seem to confuse/conflate zone exits with offensive D. The two are not the same.

Maybe we could pry Tanev out of Calgary… that guy is a zone exit beast <_<

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to brining "Dad" home... We really need to find the "next" Tanev/Pesce/Marino etc. Hopefully our new management and their much ballyhooed scouting department can do just that.

But yes, guys who can actually play harder minutes, Dzone starts, PK etc against the oppositions best, and more often than not, get the puck out and up. Zone exits. Defensive D. THAT's what we need, NOT Klingberg.

We've already got a lleft side full of guys better than Klingberg (or in the case of Rathbone FAR cheaper and with whatever upside he has) at offence (and defence). It's just not remotely a need.

Edited by aGENT

This is kind of worrying. He's not signed and not alot of news around him, Good friends with OEL... we wanted to move cap out...

All signs are pointing to we atleast had a plan in place to sign him imo... 

I need to completely remove Myers + a wingers cap hits before I consider that though lol. And I ain't paying to do it. So that's where I stand right now 

9 hours ago, JM_ said:

posted this elsewhere but fits here too - this guy makes a decent argument that Klingberg's struggles may have have a lot to do with Bowness' coaching style: https://www.defendingbigd.com/2022/1/19/22888025/opinion-john-klingberg-worth-every-penny-just-not-in-dallas-system-rick-bowness

I could see Bruce getting a lot out of OEL-Klingberg pairing. 

Yeah, I figured it had something to do with systems. I’m curious as to why Klingberg hasn’t signed a deal with a team yet. Same with Kadri. Curious as to why it’s taken so long. I thought that maybe by now they would have signed long term deals already. 

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

We need a RHD defensive player, but those guys are not a dime a dozen. Ideally, we get that player from a Miller deal. Who knows, maybe, maybe we land Dobson with the Isles. Wishful thinking? I think so. But with Lou on the hot seat in New York, and the other teams like the Devils and the Rangers beefing up their team, you never know. 

25 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I dunno. I think that boat has sailed. Tanev’s been good for the Flames and has kept relatively healthy when playing for them. But I guarantee you, once he’s in Canuck colors. He’ll get injured like there’s no tomorrow :P

I think we need to find, like another poster has said, the next Tanev. 

Are there any like… actual credible reports that align with this rumour?

This is pure speculation because he is a RHD Swede that hasn’t signed correct?

Dont get me wrong, I would fully support a move like this as Klingbergs primary skill set (skating/hockey IQ) generally age very well. I just doubt he’s “waiting on Vancouver” for anything…. Either they have a deal done or they don’t.  If they DO, then I can understand why management would want the entirety of the summer to unload cap without having to give up assets under that kind of cap pressure… but instead waiting for teams to feel the heat moving into the season to explore options like a Myers for 2 years. He is far better than gudbranson who just got 4x4 because there were multiple suitors and RHD is the largest supply/demand position in the league.  Canucks fans never see what they have in their own back yard.  The fact that Tyler Myers is still a legit top 4 RHD in this league…. Not ideal, but it is the current reality. 

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I figured it had something to do with systems. I’m curious as to why Klingberg hasn’t signed a deal with a team yet. Same with Kadri. Curious as to why it’s taken so long. I thought that maybe by now they would have signed long term deals already. 

yeah I don't know how accurate the author is, but he does build a decent case that Klingberg did struggle under Bowness and may be better under a new system.

Its a fairly big gamble tho, on a team where (hopefully imo) we're already gambling on Miller. OTOH we need to be much better at pushing the pace of games which is where I could see OEL-Klingberg being really valuable. 

Adding in more play driving from the d, and Mikheyev's speed up front does make me want to see this happen somehow tho. 

Not sure what the holdup is, it could be trying to find a trade fit for Myers, or maybe Garland+Dickie? 

Edited by JM_

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  Zero chance this new (and much smarter) management does this.

Except they already overpaid for a RWer when our RW was already stacked and have generally failed at all of the goals they had hoped to accomplish thus far. 

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Except they already overpaid for a RWer when our RW was already stacked and have generally failed at all of the goals they had hoped to accomplish thus far. 

1 mil x 3 for Lazar is fine.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm talking about Mikheyev. 

That was a very smart signing.  We stole the LOSER LEAFS best player (without the puck) and their best playoff performer.

Mikeyev will player with Boeser and Petey.  Great signing.  Too bad we can’t dump Garland, but that Benning 5 x 5 for him makes him worth close to nothing. 

At this point, I'm hoping that we try to get one of the Devils' RHD for JT (Severson?  Their RHD depth without him is Hamilton - Marino - Nemec) or see if we could at least get some pieces back for Miller (I'd be okay with Kuraly, Peeke and a pick for Miller if he's really bent on leaving).  Agreed with other posters, Klingberg probably isn't the guy that we need.  

• Vintage 1