The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Lol true. With outliers like Colorado 

Hey they rebuilt, scrapped it and started fresh a second time. Took em 20 years to get back to a final!

Honestly our cycle isn't far off most, 11 years since a final. Problem is when it counted the most we also opted to have a trash management as well as team lol. Big F

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hey they rebuilt, scrapped it and started fresh a second time. Took em 20 years to get back to a final!

Honestly our cycle isn't far off most, 11 years since a final. Problem is when it counted the most we also opted to have a trash management as well as team lol. Big F

Yup. Sakic came in and even though the team was decent traded away ROR and Duchene and took a big step back in order to leap ahead.  Would Sakic trade both Miller and Bo?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Sakic came in and even though the team was decent traded away ROR and Duchene and took a big step back in order to leap ahead.  Would Sakic trade both Miller and Bo?  

Duchess goes and Landeskog stays imo you hang on to the captain ;) 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are past that stage anyways by already drafting and developing EP huggy and demko. Can't go full scale rebuild, Be hard pressed to assume you will draft 3 guys like that again with all the assets you get back. Our roster requires minor re tooling to the fwds, Overhauling the entire right side D and building up a pipeline

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, tas said:

drafting for organizational need doesn't make sense when organizational need is constantly changing and the kids you're drafting won't make an impact for 5 years, if at all. 

Yes. But I like the strategy that the Preds have taken. They continually draft and develop RHD’s, and when they have a surplus, they trade them away and fill other needs on their roster. RHD’s are valuable, and not every organization has high quality right handed defensemen (like your Vancouver Canucks). Seth Jones is probably the best example of a RHD they drafted, developed, and then traded away when they had other needs, but had a surplus of RHD’s coming up the pipeline ready to replace Jones. 

The Canucks don’t have that. I’d take a surplus of RHD’s than elite forwards, because the former is harder to find than the latter. 

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yes. But I like the strategy that the Preds have taken. They continually draft and develop RHD’s, and when they have a surplus, they trade them away and fill other needs on their roster. RHD’s are valuable, and not every organization has high quality right handed defensemen (like your Vancouver Canucks). Seth Jones is probably the best example of a RHD they drafted, developed, and then traded away when they had other needs, but had a surplus of RHD’s coming up the pipeline ready to replace Jones. 

The Canucks don’t have that. I’d take a surplus of RHD’s than elite forwards, because the former is harder to find than the latter. 

This is a good strategy to follow.  Unfortunately, for some odd reason no management group in Vancouver Canucks history has ever followed it.  Even JR/PA did not draft one single RHD in the most recent draft.  Vancouver's best ever RHD draft pick was Kevin Bieksa, who was drafted in the 5th round.  That tells you everything you need to know.

If you look at these RHD's in today's game that are elite, alot of them were drafted outside the first round.  Many were drafted in the second round.  Guys like MacKenzie Weegar, Josh Manson and John Marino were drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds.  It's amazing that the Canucks simply refuse to take a flyer on someone in the later rounds.  Or use their 2nd and 3rd round picks on one.

46 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

seth jones was also a no-brainer, basically picked by default. it's a different story when you have to explain to your scouting staff, who pour their hearts and souls into what they do like any other professional does with their career, "sorry, we're going to pass on who you think the better pick is because we want to pump years of development dollars into this other kid and then trade him so he can flourish elsewhere. oh, and by the way, we're going to do the exact same thing with the picks we get for him in the trade."

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

People need to re-frame this type of organizational movement (potential Miller trade) from 'taking steps backwards' to 'taking a different path to the same end goal'.  I don't think FA, most of the fan-base, nor the media would readily accept 'backwards movement' from a franchise that's been mired in mediocrity for some time, but altering the course to get to the same outcome sounds more reasonable. 

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wait, how does shipping out one top 4 RD for another one fix our blueline? 

more Swedes. We need more Swedes. 

I think for the same $ Klingberg brings more skill. Its not really a deal we need to do tho, I'm OK with trying to move Myers next summer. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wait, how does shipping out one top 4 RD for another one fix our blueline? 

Well it would significantly change the makeup of the top 4.

We’d have a much stronger transition game but lack of  that tough matchup penalty killing D man.

Klingberg is also 2 years younger than Myers. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

We’d have a much stronger transition game but lack of  that tough matchup penalty killing D man.

At the end of the day, depending on who we play Klinberg with, we'd still be short a top 4 to play with either Hughes or OEL. 

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At the end of the day, depending on who we play Klinberg with, we'd still be short a top 4 to play with either Hughes or OEL. 

I just don't see any other path but the draft for that, and doing it with our own pick which in all likelihood will be higher than the one we'd get in a trade. 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I am all for Klingberg, especially if he could be had at a relative bargain as it is shaping up to be.

To me though, it would spell the end of Rathbone because, as you say, we would need a pairing for the tough matchups… OEL and Myers isn’t that now (though they did surpringly OK at it last season), OEL and Klingberg wouldn’t fit that well either.

If we could get a solid 3rd pairing to take on that role, that could be a crazy good D.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2