The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

18 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Unless they want a really mobile back end, like the avelanche.

I don’t know I think this is one of those surprise rumours that could have some legs.

JR said we cannot win with our blue line. He has yet to change our blue line. Losing miller to a trade but added mikehyev kuzmenko upgrading our bottom 6 and upgrading our defence to add 50+ points and bounce backs or growth from our young players and you can argue we are faster and better than last year. 

not to mention with a proper Pk unit with stronger personnel and a better coaching staff and a full camp together.

I just can’t believe we aren’t adding a dman and making 1-3 trades before the season starts

They absolutely will add one via trade seeing how we are almost 3 million over the cap but I think that’s without LTIR relief. With our winger logjam something’s gotta give. We will 100% be doing something to upgrade that right side.

I just don’t like the fact that teams know our cap situation and will not do us any favours. Like when Vegas was over after they signed Alex Pietrangelo and we got a top pair RD for a third round pick.

Happy to see how this unfolds, we aren’t done yet.

A7423CC8-D791-43E7-8621-307CC0011B6D.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Would love to have a 6’3, ~50 points/season, 22+ minutes/game RHD, but not a soon to be 30yo one, acquired on the UFA market (where overpayment is the norm), and with WAR and xWAR charts looking like this:

D4E8D38A-6058-4628-84F9-50CC938F6B39.thumb.jpeg.f8877e8215c6c30894a881569972bb59.jpeg

A91C4BE2-30B8-45C1-AB42-5E26C9DB0109.thumb.jpeg.e9efb3d319139e8eaa99bf1df55eefd9.jpeg
The last three seasons have seen quite a significant downward shift in his WAR/xWAR numbers, indicative of age related decline.

It appears Klingberg, while still munching very high minutes and putting up big points, is well past the days of offering an overall game that produces double digit GAR and offers his team ~3 surplus wins per season.

Would be lucky if he’s above 1 WAR next year, or any other future year, based on how he’s charting, and that number likely drops steadily over the remainder of his career, and the term of his next contract.

I’d still welcome Klingberg with open arms, if he’d take something along the lines of a 2 year term at a reasonable AAV. :P

But we all know he’s never going to sign that kind of contract.

And some team will probably offer him extended term with an obscene salary.

Hopefully it’s not us (and it would appear there’s nothing to the rumours).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Second chart was cut-off, replaced with better image
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Um, Heiskenen and Quinn are similar players like Bourque and Neidermeyer were similar players, they are both D. 
I agree that Klinberg is more like Q.  
‘If there is any truth to this (which I don’t believe) we would be building a D that looks like a poor man’s Avs with a lot of puck movers and that isn’t all bad. 

Yes that is what I said. Bourque and Neids were similar players, but they did not play together on the same team so I would not use that as a comparable. Now if we can get someone like Scotty Stevens with Q (Schenner is a poor man's version), I would be ecstatic. 

IRT the rumors of Klinger wanting to come here: You can already see that PA loves him some Swedes and if this is true, why would Klinger not want to come to a team with an organization full of them? He also has a very tight relationship with the Twins so it makes a lot of sense on his end if we can make the money work. Still a redundant piece on D IMO though. 

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Yes that is what I said Bourque and Neids were similar players, but they did not play together on the same team so I would not use that as a comparable. Now if we can get someone like Scotty Stevens with Q (Schenner is a poor man's version), I would be ecstatic. 

IRT the rumors of Klinger wanting to come here: You can already see that PA loves him some Swedes and if this is true, why would Klinger not want to come to a team with an organization full of them? He also has a very tight relationship with the Twins so it makes a lot of sense on his end if we can make the money work. Still a redundant piece on D IMO though. 

I guess they could both score and we’re both really good but there was very little similar in their game. 
‘In isolation impossible to say how would work, would really need to see who goes to bring him in. 

18 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Yes that is what I said. Bourque and Neids were similar players, but they did not play together on the same team so I would not use that as a comparable. Now if we can get someone like Scotty Stevens with Q (Schenner is a poor man's version), I would be ecstatic. 

I love redundancy. Would be amazing to have two top tier offensive D on the same team.

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Would love to have a 6’3, ~50 points/season, 22+ minutes/game RHD, but not a soon to be 30yo one, acquired on the UFA market (where overpayment is the norm), and with WAR and xWAR charts looking like this:

D4E8D38A-6058-4628-84F9-50CC938F6B39.thumb.jpeg.f8877e8215c6c30894a881569972bb59.jpeg

A91C4BE2-30B8-45C1-AB42-5E26C9DB0109.thumb.jpeg.e9efb3d319139e8eaa99bf1df55eefd9.jpeg
The last three seasons have seen quite a significant downward shift in his WAR/xWAR numbers, indicative of age related decline.

It appears Klingberg, while still munching very high minutes and putting up big points, is well past the days of offering an overall game that produces double digit GAR and offers his team ~3 surplus wins per season.

Would be lucky if he’s above 1 WAR next year, or any other future year, based on how he’s charting, and that number likely drops steadily over the remainder of his career, and the term of his next contract.

I’d still welcome Klingberg with open arms, if he’d take something along the lines of a 2 year term at a reasonable AAV. :P

But we all know he’s never going to sign that kind of contract.

And some team will probably offer him extended term with an obscene salary.

Hopefully it’s not us (and it would appear there’s nothing to the rumours).

I think that is much more related to their systems where they became a dump and chase team where they didn't want the D transporting the puck.  That is completely hamstringing Klingberg's skill set.  It is well reported that Dallas was trying to sell him on them changing those systems with Deboer coming onboard who coaches a style more fitting to Klingberg's style of play.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Turnover rate I do not love. But considering he gets top line match ups and eats minutes I’d love to see Myers and OEL season ranks for the above categories  

MYERS 32 takeaways 56 giveaways

OEL 26 Takeaways 42 giveaways

Hughes 41 takeaways 42 giveaways

Klingberg 16 takeaways wait for it… 86 Giveaways! 86!

Holy moly Klingberg is a turnover machine..

Numbers from hockey reference 

Just wanna bring this to the forefront think it got passed over being st the end of a page. His turnover ratio is alarming. 

Eric Karlsson last year was 52 takeaways 63 giveaways 

guys like fox and makar have more takeaways than giveaways 

josi numbers worse than I expected 48 takeaways 71 giveaways.

Girard 21 - 28

letangs are more comparable but still not as crazy as klingbergs

Just think it’s worth noting that Klingberg comes with a lot of pluses but he gives the puck up a lot too 

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think that is much more related to their systems where they became a dump and chase team where they didn't want the D transporting the puck.  That is completely hamstringing Klingberg's skill set.  It is well reported that Dallas was trying to sell him on them changing those systems with Deboer coming onboard who coaches a style more fitting to Klingberg's style of play.

Is he dumping the puck a lot and those being tracked as giveaways ?

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Is he dumping the puck a lot and those being tracked as giveaways ?

That system can't do any favours for his numbers.  If their D get the puck in their own zone they were simply to get it to the neutral zone and then let the forwards battle for the puck.  Same with dumping into the offensive zone.  

If there is anything Klingberg is elite at, it is transitioning the puck.  You take that away and there isn't much point in having him on the roster.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

That system can't do any favours for his numbers.  If their D get the puck in their own zone they were simply to get it to the neutral zone and then let the forwards battle for the puck.  Same with dumping into the offensive zone.  

If there is anything Klingberg is elite at, it is transitioning the puck.  You take that away and there isn't much point in having him on the roster.

I only watched a couple stars game I total last year and I was distracted while watching. So in our system you would expect his turnover ratio to be far improved? 

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would have to believe that a pairing with OEL would only help as well, and it would provide some insulation.  Would be pretty amazing to have an elite pairing of OEL and Klingberg, and not have them even be the best D on the team.  Still need a younger stay at home D for Hughes, but maybe that just ends up being Marino.

On a complete side note, if OEL was a FA and signed a 7M x 5 year deal, we would all likely go wow, that's a pretty good deal.  Maybe Klingberg just signs the same thing.  

19 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Just wanna bring this to the forefront think it got passed over being st the end of a page. His turnover ratio is alarming. 

Eric Karlsson last year was 52 takeaways 63 giveaways 

guys like fox and makar have more takeaways than giveaways 

josi numbers worse than I expected 48 takeaways 71 giveaways.

Girard 21 - 28

letangs are more comparable but still not as crazy as klingbergs

Just think it’s worth noting that Klingberg comes with a lot of pluses but he gives the puck up a lot too 

Lets look at another good defenceman from the Stars...

Miro Heiskanen had 45 take aways and 84 giveaways.

It seems that Dallas' style of dump and chase leaving the zone has a lot to do with that stat metric. Klingberg should get a pass on this stat if that's his only big fault.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

They absolutely will add one via trade seeing how we are almost 3 million over the cap but I think that’s without LTIR relief. With our winger logjam something’s gotta give. We will 100% be doing something to upgrade that right side.

I just don’t like the fact that teams know our cap situation and will not do us any favours. Like when Vegas was over after they signed Alex Pietrangelo and we got a top pair RD for a third round pick.

Happy to see how this unfolds, we aren’t done yet.

A7423CC8-D791-43E7-8621-307CC0011B6D.jpeg

No team is gonna squeeze us because we have about 7 mill to work with above the cap once space is available and we use our LTIR as per Sat Shaw. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Deets said:

Lets look at another good defenceman from the Stars...

Miro Heiskanen had 45 take aways and 84 giveaways.

It seems that Dallas' style of dump and chase leaving the zone has a lot to do with that stat metric. Klingberg should get a pass on this stat if that's his only big fault.

That’s great perspective yes 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, awalk said:

I love redundancy. Would be amazing to have two top tier offensive D on the same team.

Is this all while considering Rathbone on our 5-6 pairing which, would be another fairly redundant piece should he stay up with the team. Burroughs has the physicality we lack on the backend, but giving up Mysie's size and occasional physical game would also leave a hole.