The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick

Well there is the reason for the Pens to do it, but doesn't make a lot of sense for NJ without their cascading move.  I'm guessing this is why a Miller trade has taken some time as there are many moving parts.  Also curious if this is why Klingberg isn't signed.  There are a lot of things potentially lining up after these moves.  Or not, who knows at this point.....

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Sure looks like it… although it could also be a case of the current Pens management and past management thinking what he brings is not enough for a 4.25(?) mil contract.  Assuming our management weren’t asleep at the wheel.

People on the outside sure think he’s a good pickup. 

Part of the problem with the Canucks' lack of prospect depth is that they have little ammunition to include any in trades without further depleting the pool.  I expect that a similar deal from the Canucks would have been Rathbone and a pick for Marino, but when you factor in cap problems, we just weren't in a position to give PIT what they wanted.  Maybe there was talk with PIT about Miller but that would require figuring out the movement of even more pieces.  At any rate, PIT seems to have been more interested in Petry.

We could still see a trade made by the Canucks in the next few weeks but I'm preparing myself to see the team roll into camp with pretty much the same d-core.  I'm not expecting much return from a Miller trade, and I'm instead expecting the team to try and make some cap space by shipping out a forward or to which MIGHT bring in some help on D.  Management is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to make a major improvement to this D core.

Sigh.  I am not a Benning hater but I do wonder about what things would be like if the Canucks had just tanked last season and let all the bad contracts expire this summer.  They would have had a lot of cap flexibility.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s what that was all about then.

Feel like we missed the boat on getting Marino for cheap.

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So far this management group hasn't done anything special.

Marino had a great rookie season and that's about it..

He hasn't been good last 2 seasons. That's why he's a cap dump.. JR signed him to that deal in PIT. His salary is well above his cap hit going forward. He'll be making 5+ mill and 6+ mill in years 3 and 4 of his 5 year deal.. 

He's not worth the contract based on his play last 2 season. 

Hence the cap dump.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Pit going for the oldest lineup?

They're trying to work within Crosby's window. They know full well they're in for a full rebuild once Crosby hangs 'em up or regresses to the point where he's no longer an impact player, which is why they're going all in now.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Part of the problem with the Canucks' lack of prospect depth is that they have little ammunition to include any in trades without further depleting the pool.  I expect that a similar deal from the Canucks would have been Rathbone and a pick for Marino, but when you factor in cap problems, we just weren't in a position to give PIT what they wanted.  Maybe there was talk with PIT about Miller but that would require figuring out the movement of even more pieces.  At any rate, PIT seems to have been more interested in Petry.

We could still see a trade made by the Canucks in the next few weeks but I'm preparing myself to see the team roll into camp with pretty much the same d-core.  I'm not expecting much return from a Miller trade, and I'm instead expecting the team to try and make some cap space by shipping out a forward or to which MIGHT bring in some help on D.  Management is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to make a major improvement to this D core.

Sigh.  I am not a Benning hater but I do wonder about what things would be like if the Canucks had just tanked last season and let all the bad contracts expire this summer.  They would have had a lot of cap flexibility.

Yeah Aqua's refusal to fire Jimbo last off-season had done irreparable damage to this team for the next half decade at least. 

Aqua owns that one.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Marino had a great rookie season and that's about it..

He hasn't been good last 2 seasons. That's why he's a cap dump.. JR signed him to that deal in PIT. His salary is well above his cap hit going forward. He'll be making 5+ mill and 6+ mill in years 3 and 4 of his 5 year deal.. 

He's not worth the contract based on his play last 2 season. 

Hence the cap dump.

I don’t see that as a cap dump.

They really wanted Petry because he’s the better player that helps them win now.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t value Marino. They just know that they probably only have one or two seasons before their window closes for a long time. All about maximizing that.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

kinda depressed we not acquiring pieces that we need, marino woulda been perfect, but instead we sign AHL caliber defenseman , kinda getting nervous for preseason, esp if we dont improve our def, that was the main issue management was gonna address so far they have done nothing in that area

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Especially when you consider JR said it was very difficult to acquire a RHD.

Seems like the Devils just did it at a pretty reasonable price.

I like the the Mikayev signing but if you asked me would I rather spend 5 mil on a forward or on a RHD to play with Hughes the answer is pretty obvious.

Unless a trade is coming down the pipe it kind of points to management mismanaging the little cap we had. Shouldn’t have been prioritizing forwards.

This team desperately needed upgrade at 4C and some speed and tenacity in middle 6

You don't make a trade just to make a trade. This is a marathon not a sprint. 

You upgrade at any position you can. When you see an opportunity to upgrade you do it. This team needs speed and sandpaper in a very bad way. The signings at forward bring some of that.. they still need more players with speed at forward and if another opportunity presents it self via trade to upgrade forwards I fully expect mgmt to do it.. 

You don't pass on those players because you're waiting for a Dman that may not come 

A RHD is not the only thing this team needs. They desperately need speed skill and tenacity at forward just like they need upgrade on D

Multiple holes need to be filled on this team.. and mgmt will keep improving which ever position they can.. goalie is only position we are set with a top tier starter. Forwards and D all need lots of upgrades. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Penguins have made more trades in the last two hours than the Canucks have in the last four months.

We're going to start the season like we ended it.

The team that Benning built.

JR the trader is shaping up to be JR the mild

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This team desperately needed upgrade at 4C and some speed and tenacity in middle 6

You don't make a trade just to make a trade. This is a marathon not a sprint. 

You upgrade at any position you can. When you see an opportunity to upgrade you do it. This team needs speed and sandpaper in a very bad way. The signings at forward bring some of that.. they still need more players with speed at forward and if another opportunity presents it self via trade to upgrade forwards I fully expect mgmt to do it.. 

You don't pass on those players because you're waiting for a Dman that may not come 

A RHD is not the only thing this team needs. They desperately need speed skill and tenacity at forward just like they need upgrade on D

Multiple holes need to be filled on this team.. and mgmt will keep improving which ever position they can.. goalie is only position we are set with a top tier starter. Forwards and D all need lots of upgrades. 

Agree that we need to upgrade lots of positions but you also need to prioritize cap space.

That space should have been put aside for a D man. Finding speed and sandpaper is a much easier task than finding a RHD. It could have been addressed later in the offseason. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see that as a cap dump.

They really wanted Petry because he’s the better player that helps them win now.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t value Marino. They just know that they probably only have one or two seasons before their window closes for a long time. All about maximizing that.

Marino is 25yrs old. Not a 21 yr old young kid. His contract was not worth what he brings. If it was they would have got a lot more than a 3rd. 

We got 3rd from OTT for Hamonic

• Like 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Marino is 25yrs old. Not a 21 yr old young kid. His contract was not worth what he brings. If it was they would have got a lot more than a 3rd. 

We got 3rd from OTT for Hamonic

They got Ty Smith in the deal who a lot of people on here have been clamouring for forever.

Hes a 22 year old cost controlled player with a lot of upside. 

Petry is a veteran with a ton of experience that gives them the best chance to win now. Plus they still have a young former 1st round pick D on top of that. The deal makes a lot of sense for them.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They got Ty Smith in the deal who a lot of people on here have been clamouring for forever.

Hes a 22 year old cost controlled player with a lot of upside. 

Petry is a veteran with a ton of experience that gives them the best chance to win now. Plus they still have a young former 1st round pick D on top of that. The deal makes a lot of sense for them.

I think Smith was a throw in.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Serious PTSD around here.... Almost all of yah turning into chicken littles.  As JR stated, no point of impatience until td (when it comes to JT).  Don't make a trade just to make a trade.  I have no reason to doubt this management group, still to early to judge.  I have faith in their plan... They actually have one.  Let's wait and see if they can execute.

Seriously, there is no reason to make a trade if it doesn't make sense, or for the sake of making one.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1