The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Patrik Laine

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Yes.  It's not necessarily straight forward to reconcile off-season cap space as it's not tracked.  Every NHL contract is on the team's off-season roster but 2-way contracts are accounted for on the pro-rata of their time on the roster the previous season.  CapFriendly doesn't show off-season cap space and still keep regular season breakdowns between NHL/AHL but that's not accurate for the off-season as everyone is on the NHL roster.

After adding Laine CapFriendly will show them with a roster of 25 healthy players + 3 on IR so 28 players against the cap - ie they need to demote at least 5.  They still need to clear more cap space though.

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Gonna have to pay somebody to take Gudbranson to clear the cap space needed!

Gustav Nyquist will be moved for pennies on the dollar. 

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Guddy at 4 is still perplexing to me. 

What a stupid signing, unreal. Apparently Blue Jackets had no idea they were even in consideration for Johnny till late in the UFA day. Just a bone head signing that I'm guessing they want mulligan on now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Am I reading this right?  CBJ has to clear about $6.5M in cap?  There are 15 forwards showing up on Capfriendly so my guess is a few will be sent to their AHL affiliate, but even then, they probably need to clear at least $5M-$6M.

Buyouts may be possible still.  Voracek would be great but it doesn't look like they'll get much relief if they buy him out this summer.  A Nyquist buyout provides some relief but not enough.  There are going to be some interesting decisions in CBJ in the coming weeks.

Since CBJ needs to clear space, I doubt the Canucks will be involved in any deals with them.

Just now, rekker said:

What a stupid signing, unreal. Apparently Blue Jackets had no idea they were even in consideration for Johnny till late in the UFA day. Just a bone head signing that I'm guessing they want mulligan on now. 

Totally, when you look at some of the defenseman that signed for around 3$ mill it really puts it into perspective how much of an overpayment it is. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Am I reading this right?  CBJ has to clear about $6.5M in cap?  There are 15 forwards showing up on Capfriendly so my guess is a few will be sent to their AHL affiliate, but even then, they probably need to clear at least $5M-$6M.

Buyouts may be possible still.  Voracek would be great but it doesn't look like they'll get much relief if they buy him out this summer.  A Nyquist buyout provides some relief but not enough.  There are going to be some interesting decisions in CBJ in the coming weeks.

Since CBJ needs to clear space, I doubt the Canucks will be involved in any deals with them.

They have a roster of 28 - need to demote 5 players 1st to know how much cap they need to clear.

CapFriendly shows 25 but they have 3 players on IR that also count against the cap and who are expected to be healthy next season.

The buyout window has closed till next June.  CBJ doesn't have any player who has filed for arbitration so they don't have a 2nd buyout window opening up.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Qwags said:

People really out here arguing Boeser is better than Laine. Never change, CDC. :picard:

Considering their contracts and who they have proven to be as a teammate and overall player, absolutely Boeser is the better choice.  Laine is a puck sucker.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1