The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If Weegar & Huby don't re-sign both would command a haul at the deadline.

Could be 3 first rounds picks + 3 tops prospects +

you figure the Flames have learned from watching Johnny walk for nothing; or does that voice that says " We have a chance for a cup" convince the GM to keep those guys till that season's end?

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

That’s why I don’t understand people claiming this is some huge haul for the Flames. All it might do is delay a rebuild by one season.

What makes everyone think Huberdeau will be happy in Calgary?

Also this move simply replaces Gaudreaus production. They’re still down a 100 point player.

They'll find out if they'll sign, and if not, they can trade both for their own big returns and stack up assets like crazy. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If Weegar & Huby don't re-sign both would command a haul at the deadline.

Could be 3 first rounds picks + 3 tops prospects +

flames may sign em soon or wait and see how the team bonds with these guys and current roster, but under sutter, flames could be a team on a rampage...i laugh at ppl, thinking they may not sign with calgary, none know, they might or might not, but as of today, they a better team with this trade

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why do you think Florida was willing to trade Huberdeau though?

Perhaps they already know he only wants to sign with the Habs?

This deal keeps Calgary competitive for next season but we’ll see about the long term.

Has to be something like this:  otherwise it clearly goes against the leverage they should have had against Calgary. 

Calgary still might be better off considering selling this deadline.  2 1sts in a stacked draft could turn into a lot more if you can trade Weegar, Huberdeau and the other vets they have.

actually.. I hope they don’t do that.

edit:  I see it’s a 2025 conditional 1st round pick.  That’s a ways out.

Edited by ilduce39

Just now, Jester13 said:

They'll find out if they'll sign, and if not, they can trade both for their own big returns and stack up assets like crazy. 

Except they obviously made this move to stay a cup contender.

Its the same situation as Miller. If they’re in a playoff spot are they really going to trade Huberdeau at the deadline?

Will be fun to revisit this in a year when all the Flames have to show for Tkachuk is a 26th overall pick.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

you figure the Flames have learned from watching Johnny walk for nothing; or does that voice that says " We have a chance for a cup" convince the GM to keep those guys till that season's end?

It'll be interesting to see, depends how they do I guess. Imagine they've learned but if they are 1st in the West then you gotta go for it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Not a chance.. they'll be on the fence to make the playoffs imo.

They still have 11 mil in cap space and extra assets to trade.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re going hard for Kadri right now.