The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular NHL opinions?

Rate this topic

Fan discussion/argument about leadership is the worst. You don't know these guys or what they're like in the room on a regular basis based on interviews and what you see on the ice. We do not know these guys as well as we'd like to think, it's a parasocial relationship.

They've all had media training and "leadership" is open to interpretation and personal preference, and your personal taste ain't gospel.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

These thoughts are probably NOT unpopular, but....

I really think the league ought to put more control with the refs than rules that are invoked for plays that are inconsequential TO the play. For example: If a player is 1" offside, did it REALLY make a difference to the outcome of the play? Probably not. As mentioned, stop the coaches challenge for that kind of event, and rely on the refs. Yes, mistakes will be made - but it would speed up the game and not make goals get called back because of a technicality.

Get rid of Bettman. I know he's done well, but it isn't just about your ability but also how you are perceived as the head of the league. Besides the fact I think he needs to move on, it really looks like he has Parkinson's anyway.

Consistency. It's hard enough to get every call right, but they should at least be consistent from game to game so players know how far they can push the limits. 

Abolish the kicking rule. Allow goals to occur no matter HOW they get into the net - save for being literally thrown in. Redirect off arms, legs, skates, whatever. If the idea is to increase scoring (which is has been for years), then this would help.

Readjust the scoring. Regulation win = 3 points, OT Win = 2 points, OT loss = 1 point.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Bettman does a pretty good job.

I agree. He takes a lot of flack for doing what he believes is right, but overall, he's improved league balance and largely removed the idea of the Rangers just buying every free agent that comes along and running a 200 million payroll.

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

The NHL doesn't have a vendetta against the Canucks.

The lottery is terrible. Should just be the worst team gets 1st overall.

Get rid of offside challenges.

Honestly the old Lotto system of only having the 1st overall in the lottery wasn’t too bad. The Oilers incredible luck unfortunately just had to ruin it for everyone.

19 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

The term “Generational Talent” gets thrown around WAY too often talking about Superstars. 

In the last 20 years, the only one's that qualify are Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, and Makar (unless somehow Makar's play drops significantly).

• Cheers 1

The NHL is completely corrupt.  Or in other words they just pretend to be a sports league when in reality they are a dishonest, probably criminal, syndicate that puts profit over integrity or any respect for the game.  They use systemic crooked refereeing to manipulate the perceived entertainment value of their product instead of calling penalties as they arise.  They don't even care that people know that they do this.  What is "game management" anyway?  Is it anything other than an attempt to cover up their obvious lack of respect for the actual game of hockey?  They probably do a lot of other dirty things where we can't see them but they can't hide from the fact that they have destroyed the integrity of the game by meddling with the refereeing.  Does anybody actually believe that Tim Peel was a one-off and merely a "bad apple" amongst an otherwise honest group of professional referees?  I certainly don't.  He's a symptom of a much bigger problem.  The emphasis is clearly on watering down the product, or maybe poisoning it altogether, in order to sell hockey to non-hockey markets and who cares about the people who actually like hockey (they'll spend their money anyway so why care about them?).  I still like hockey but I have lost all respect for the NHL as an organization.  Thanks Gary...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1