The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

If we can't sign Pettersson and he wants to win, which team that is a real contender will have the 10 mill maybe 11+ he might be demanding ?

If Petey want to move to a contender, I think some team will make room for him with trades...

(its only Vancouver that can't move players to create space....)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2023 at 5:41 PM, Alflives said:

Yup. Our scouts will have hammered out a list and we will draft (at 11) the highest guy on our scouts’ list. It matters not the position or the way they shoot. Because in 3-5 years when these prospects hopefully make the big club the needs of our team will likely have changed. 

That’s a smoke screen.  

When was Patty White ever a BPA

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Comparing him to Petey, Dalibor is a June birthday, Petey is a November birthday. 

Petey wasn't even playing in the Allsvenkan at Dalibors age and at a comparable age Petey put up 9 points in 24 games. 

You, like we all do have our opinions however all the scouting reports including those I have posted state his base is a second line with the potential to be a first.

Time will tell.

Like I stated I believe he will be gone before our pick.

I think you mean to say when Pete was 6 months younger and 50 lbs lighter he put up 9 points in 25 games. Then threw down 4 in 5 playoff games and followed it up by going PPG when he was 6 months older and 2ppg in the post season. 

Dvorsky and Pete are not players who should be compared  at that age especially. Dvorsky is basically a full grown man already. 

Nils Hoglander also produced at a similar rate as a 16 year old and was a +18. again not comparable but just sayin.

Maybe someone comparable would be Filip Hallander similar B day similar size though Dvorsky is a bit more filled out than Filip was. He went .5 PPG as a 17 year old. If Dvorsky goes to the SHL next year and matches Filip's output in his D+1 that would be good progression. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

You think Raty and Karlsson are good skaters? Please enlighten me. 

You suggest Wood has bad skating yet every single scout suggests his skating isn't a weak point. Obviously he needs to refine his skating, but what youre suggesting is that he's some bum that cant skate. 

Perhaps if you give your reasons as to why you think hes a bad skater rather than responding to me with these one liners and stupid GIFS, id perhaps take your opinions more seriously around here.

Where were Raty and Karlsson picked again?

15 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I'm going to make the case for Cristall. And if he drops to us why it wouldn't be a bad choice.  At 11 Cristall is a swing for the fences pick. It's bold but if Benson is off the board the player with the most Raw talent is Cristall.  He skates like Hughes out there and Hughes isn't a straight forward speedster either it's his edges and agility that make Hughes so dangerous, similarly Cristall's skating is excellent.  No he's not a speedster but his edges are sublime. He can stop on a dime and his hands are so silky smooth.  As far as offensive hockey instincts I'd have him ranked higher than Will Smith but below Benson at #6 as far as raw talent.  Cristall has the rare ability of being able to slow the game down.  When the play is at its most frantic he can put the game into slow motion.  That's special rare. He will drop though and he might even slip out of the top 20 All because of a poor u18s but at the same time he didn't play with anyone that could process the game at his level.  I saw this with Quinn Hughes as well.  In a lot of international play it seemed he too was one or two steps ahead of his teammates.  He could be the one that slides down and years from now people say what a steal he was.

Worst case scenario he becomes Kyle Wellwood

No to Cristall

I've seen him play a lot on a mediocre Kelowna team.  The areas lacking in his game are just not really things that can be taught and would be checked hard at the pro level.

If he's not top 6 he's not playing in the league and there's about 10 other players I'd take over him knowing they'd contribute in other ways Cristall can't or won't 

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

No to Cristall

I've seen him play a lot on a mediocre Kelowna team.  The areas lacking in his game are just not really things that can be taught and would be checked hard at the pro level.

If he's not top 6 he's not playing in the league and there's about 10 other players I'd take over him knowing they'd contribute in other ways Cristall can't or won't 

That slow little toe drag he did about 30 times in that highlight reel ain't going work at the NHL level imo. Very slick looking I'll admit but he looks like a one trick pony if there ever was one.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That slow little toe drag he did about 30 times in that highlight reel ain't going work at the NHL level imo. Very slick looking I'll admit but he looks like a one trick pony if there ever was one.

One of those players that will be a great pick in the 20s. A few elite aspects to game for sure. But yes a little scary to select if you want certainty. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.orilliamatters.com/local-sports/column-barlow-could-make-local-history-in-junes-nhl-draft-7061328

Some info on Barlow, Akey and Sale.

Spoiler

Earlier this year, he was named Orillia's Athlete of the Year.

Combined, Barlow has 126 points in 118 OHL games throughout his two seasons.

Some historical context to Barlow’s position ahead of Nashville: Two local products, Hall of Famer Mike Gartner (fourth overall, 1979) and Shayne Corson (eighth overall, 1984), are the highest selections from the area.

Still, there are concerns about Akey’s general defensive play.

“He needs to bear down in his own zone more,” said Red Line Report chief scout Kyle Woodlief, who has Akey rated in the third round but expects him to be taken higher than that because of his offensive skills.

“I can see how (some day) a coach in the American league could (instil in him) how to play better defensively, but right now I don’t see that happening (with the Colts).”

Czech forward Eduard Sale, who is Colts property but has not yet reported, is rated about the same as Barlow. The team that takes him will determine if he ever shows up in Barrie. A more likely destination is the American Hockey League.“After a year playing against men in his own country, to me it makes more sense for (Sale’s NHL club) to send him to the AHL, or even to send him back (to Czechia),” said Woodlief, whose analysis is particularly interesting because he scouted Sale heavily for both his NHL work and his duties that evaluate import players to play in the Canadian Hockey League.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-2023-nhl-draft-final-rankings-top-32/

Though I do believe Simashev has the potential to be solid player, 9 is too high for me personally, but I like this ranking.

Big drop for Reinbacher

Its really anyones guess how the order plays out depending on each team’s preference… 

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Big drop for Reinbacher

Its really anyones guess how the order plays out depending on each team’s preference… 

If all three of Reinbacher, ASP and Willander are there at 11 who should we take? 
The highest upside as a difference maker is ASP and Allvin said he wants to draft (with his top picks) guys who can be difference makers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If all three of Reinbacher, ASP and Willander are there at 11 who should we take? 
The highest upside as a difference maker is ASP and Allvin said he wants to draft (with his top picks) guys who can be difference makers. 

Reinbacher for me. Exactly the type of defender we need. What a great future partner for Hughes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Reinbacher for me. Exactly the type of defender we need. What a great future partner for Hughes.

Yup. Not too sure we can go wrong with any of those three. But likely at least one is gone, and maybe two. Then it becomes the choice of that left over D man or a falling forward. We are going to get a heck of a good prospect, that’s for sure. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hard to say.  I like DR has the higher floor, but ASP has the higher ceiling, imo.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Hard to say.  I like DR has the higher floor, but ASP has the higher ceiling, imo.

Yeah, I see it that way too. More risk with ASP I think and Reinbacher is probably more ready having just played against men all season. He could be in the AHL this year I think. That would be exciting. We are seriously lacking size too. I wouldn't target that specifically but it's a good bonus.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-2023-nhl-draft-final-rankings-top-32/

Though I do believe Simashev has the potential to be solid player, 9 is too high for me personally, but I like this ranking.

Wow, Wood is now at 10 and Reinbacher at 16.  Wood is the guy if he is available at 11.  If not I would go Reinbacher...

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think you mean to say when Pete was 6 months younger and 50 lbs lighter he put up 9 points in 25 games. Then threw down 4 in 5 playoff games and followed it up by going PPG when he was 6 months older and 2ppg in the post season. 

Dvorsky and Pete are not players who should be compared  at that age especially. Dvorsky is basically a full grown man already. 

Nils Hoglander also produced at a similar rate as a 16 year old and was a +18. again not comparable but just sayin.

Maybe someone comparable would be Filip Hallander similar B day similar size though Dvorsky is a bit more filled out than Filip was. He went .5 PPG as a 17 year old. If Dvorsky goes to the SHL next year and matches Filip's output in his D+1 that would be good progression. 

Yeah I kinda get what you are saying however I like to do my own comparisons.

I totally respect yours.

One aspect of Dvorsky's game that is better than Petey's was at a similar stage is his defensive game. 

Like HOH has stated, he is the type of player that will help you win playoff games. 

Give me a player who might score less points however stops more goals being scored against you.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1