The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hypocrisy in the Media and the Fanbase about the New Regime

Rate this topic

Dazzle

• Dazzle changed the title to The Hypocrisy in the Media and the Fanbase about the New Regime

At this point the biggest change is the confidence in management.  OP isn’t wrong in that what we will see hit the ice in the fall is still largely Benning’s team.  Hope new management is successful in making the small adjustments needed for the team to reach its potential.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The fact is it seems a lot of folks can't be bothered to have a look at CapFriendly. It's not even August yet and there's 10 teams already over the cap, and 11 teams with $5 million or less in cap space right now.  That's 2/3rds of the NHL that doesn't have cap space. And only two teams Arizona and Anaheim that are under the cap floor.

Doesn't leave a GM with a lot of options to move players. If a GM wanted to create cap space while mortally wounding the team, they could trade Petey or Hughes tomorrow.

Then the team would have lots of cap space and probably lots of draft picks. But the fans would go bananas.

The fact is fans on here have always over estimated our own players values worth. And under estimated what other teams would accept for their players. I said last year that even if we got rid of Benning. There was going to be no quick fix. Unless the GM just said the hell with it, and traded everybody. There also seems to be the same group of trolls that no matter what positive moves the team makes they will whine and complain, be it management or ownership.

Are the Aqua's "model owners"? No. But they are better than some owners in sports. I may not like their business practices outside of the Canucks. (That is only word of mouth from other developers. So grain of salt) But they have spent to the cap. I have never heard them threaten to move the team. Unlike Arizona they seem to pay everyone on time.

So we could have much worse owners. I get everyone has their own ideas how to run a team. And yes we are frustrated, anxious, and want a winner. But I'd rather have management do things the right way. And have a team that is built to constantly challenge for the cup. I'm seeing progress. And I'm ok with that.

Let's see what happens in training camp.

I think a lot of fans really overestimate the value of draft picks. Yes extra ones are great. But outside of the top 1/2 of the 1st round, we're still talking long shots at best even to be good enough to fill holes as ELCs, let alone guys who matter above replacement level or are available every year as UFAs. 

Its why the whole 'step back to get better' thing that gets bandied around isn't a desirable option for this management group, its risky with no guarantees if its mostly picks back for established players. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Personally I believe it's almost impossible to be worse than Benning, here's a clue, no one has rushed to sign his expertise for their club, ditto Green who unfortunately has to contend with the fact that Bruce showed him up with the same roster. As to Aquaman he's just fortunate ( if thats the right term ) to have a ruthless father who put him in a position to enoy the good life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Personally I believe it's almost impossible to be worse than Benning, here's a clue, no one has rushed to sign his expertise for their club, ditto Green who unfortunately has to contend with the fact that Bruce showed him up with the same roster. As to Aquaman he's just fortunate ( if thats the right term ) to have a ruthless father who put him in a position to enoy the good life.

Don't see team's rushing out to sign Gillis either. I guess on the plus side, he's been interviewed for GM jobs.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Interesting that Burkie continues to be employed....Huge fan.

Still can't get a goalie to save his life.  One Cup ring on his GM resume, he inherited that goalie.

Even Nonis acquired a legit starting goalie by trade & also drafted one.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As President. Not as GM. He seems to fit that role better.

Yea which I always thought was interesting as he chews and drinks like a fish....which is probably why I like him.

I also met him and he was really nice....until the Pauser started yelling at him and he ran away.

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Still can't get a goalie to save his life.  One Cup ring on his GM resume, he inherited that goalie.

Even Nonis acquired a legit starting goalie by trade & also drafted one.

Who did Nonis draft I can't remember? Sneids I think?

Edited by Chris12345

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't see team's rushing out to sign Gillis either. I guess on the plus side, he's been interviewed for GM jobs.

No Gillis moved to academia to teach law. He is currently employed by the NHLPA. Even though most within the NHL old boys club I suspect disliked Gillis it makes the fact that they voted him to GM of the year award even more gratifying. Betteman absolutely hated Gillis because he kept showing him up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1