The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hypocrisy in the Media and the Fanbase about the New Regime

Rate this topic

Dazzle

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Sounds bad to fans too. Soon as I heard that, I did the old :picard: thing. Well it doesn't matter now, we see they're not taking a step back at all, in fact, last I checked,

we'd be over the cap.  Well, for now, JT is, or will in all likely hood be on the team, so that's a plus. There were other players new management could have moved,

but haven't. They even signed more. You know what though; I have no problem taking a serious run at the post season. This town needs it whether they admit it or not.

Hear that Drance? 

I really like the F group, and am pretty happy with the new additions at least on paper. But as of now, rolling 4 effective lines should be possible and we're doing it without someone named Petan. Goaltending may have an issue if Martin isn't ready but he looks to be.

I'm hoping Miller can come down off the high salary demands, I don't believe he's going to get it from any other team and he's got a good situation here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

And lest we forget this beauty

This man showed his hockey in sight :lol:

And they went from missing the play offs to making them, in JB's first year.

turn around complete, but short lived.

• Cheers 1

It was clear the Canucks needed a change. We were not progressing as we should have, considering that Benning did collect a solid core. He made some mistakes during his tenure for certain, but every GM does. At the end of the day, I agree that the team is largely what it was before and that Benning did ultimately do a reasonable job building it.

The main thing I would say against Benning is that he overpaid for contracts which limited our future ability to navigate the cap. But in my opinion, our biggest issue was Green. I didn't mind him as a person, but I didn't like how he and his group couldn't find a way to maintain a reasonable defensive structure. It also seemed like players were not super excited to play, and we saw slumps from players we really couldn't see slumps from. 

I believe this is a good team, and better than many give it credit for. If Miller stays to start the season, I think we will see noticeably more scoring from last year, though I don't agree with Rutherford that our D is good enough. It couldn't possibly be considered good enough until such time as we at LEAST get Hughes his permanent partner.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't read Canucks media.

However. I disagree with a lot of what you have said here. I think the core is really good and is better than some think. We don't need massive changes. 

For example...I think JT is a guy you retain, speaking of Miller this is going to turn into another thread about him.

100% Benning had his warts but wasn't this the year he said he expected the window to open? Pretty damn good roster on paper and compared to other teams having a top pairing D  at 31 for 5 more years at 7 million is preferable to many other playoff teams. Especially with the cap going way up in 2 years.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Same here. My thinking is along the lines that once he's back with his team mates and if things go well, the monetary demands may go down. He could well

supersede his agent who's obviously basing JT's value on just last year. It gets dicey if the Canucks are a shoe in for the playoffs at the trade deadline..... 

I'm already fine with letting him walk as a UFA. So be it, I'd rather see a playoff run than care about getting a 30th overall pick. 

I think its important that the rest of the team see management try everything it can to keep the best players together. If at the end of the day Miller just won't settle in for something reasonable then I don't think that kills the morale of the team. If they dump him at the TDL for magic beans then that might.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Thinking of Cap space I believe Holtby is injured and maybe unable to play again, if Dallas put him on LTI does that effect Vcr porition of his salary ( US$ 1.9 mill )  ?????

Report: Braden Holtby unlikely to play next season, his career may be over (russianmachineneverbreaks.com)

Nope unfortunately. His buyout will still be on our books.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm already fine with letting him walk as a UFA. So be it, I'd rather see a playoff run than care about getting a 30th overall pick. 

I think its important that the rest of the team see management try everything it can to keep the best players together. If at the end of the day Miller just won't settle in for something reasonable then I don't think that kills the morale of the team. If they dump him at the TDL for magic beans then that might.

Agreed. Plus if we go on a run and he's a big piece it gives both sides a reason come to a resolution. 

One thing I think about is if we lose him then at some point his production will need to be replaced. 

So that costs assets but even more than that is if we sign JT now we get him with the cap at 82 million,

It's no secret the cap will be 90+ in 3 years barring another pandemic, so imagine in the summer of 24 what a a1C of JT's talent will cost?

If JT has a great start along with the team , lock him up for 8×8, even if the worst possible scenario unfolds in years 7-8, the actual % of cap would be what? 5.5-6 million? Buy him out. 

Personally I think there's other scenarios that likely happen over that,  1- he earns the deal, 2nd- he gets moved to be a mentor or LTIR which let's be honest seems to be the new normal.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Agreed. Plus if we go on a run and he's a big piece it gives both sides a reason come to a resolution. 

One thing I think about is if we lose him then at some point his production will need to be replaced. 

So that costs assets but even more than that is if we sign JT now we get him with the cap at 82 million,

It's no secret the cap will be 90+ in 3 years barring another pandemic, so imagine in the summer of 24 what a a1C of JT's talent will cost?

If JT has a great start along with the team , lock him up for 8×8, even if the worst possible scenario unfolds in years 7-8, the actual % of cap would be what? 5.5-6 million? Buy him out. 

Personally I think there's other scenarios that likely happen over that,  1- he earns the deal, 2nd- he gets moved to be a mentor or LTIR which let's be honest seems to be the new normal.

yep thats all possible as well. The only panic in the market is with people that jones for picks like a beagle on a hamburger. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Benning brought a kind of reckless excitement which was fun and came with both good moves and probably a couple too many mistakes.  Still, here we are with what looks to be a great character team with upside.  Current management has more of a Gillis feel with more support people.  Reminds me of when Gillis took over for Nonis.  I like the team and the careful approach to tweaking it for the better right now.      

He did?

Yeah, maybe on the day of the 2014 draft when he axed Kesler and Garrison.

Other than that, every other move he made was one that you had to go through five stages of grief to rationalize.  How exciting :sick:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea which I always thought was interesting as he chews and drinks like a fish....which is probably why I like him.

I also met him and he was really nice....until the Pauser started yelling at him and he ran away.

Pretty easy to see Pat Quinn's influence on Burkie.  Liked him as a GM and have a ton of respect for him as a man.  Not many execs I'd rather have a beer with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

And they went from missing the play offs to making them, in JB's first year.

turn around complete, but short lived.

Sedins had a little gas left in the tank.  Each Sedin was in the top ten in points that season.  When their offense dried up, the team fell off a cliff in subsequent seasons.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

image.png.a6b3f1fac24500a559aa70b2624591dd.png

truthful, they missed the play offs, they hired JB, he said he could turn them around quickly and did.

Nobody asked him how long he could keep them going the right direction, which in retrospect was an error.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

truthful, they missed the play offs, they hired JB, he said he could turn them around quickly and did.

Nobody asked him how long he could keep them going the right direction, which in retrospect was an error.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

I mean in theory we did “turn it around” by missing the playoffs then making them the following year. What part of that is incorrect?

So when Benning made those comments you actually believe he meant it was just for the next year and then wasn't sure what was going to happen after that?

Edited by kanucks25

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

So when Benning made those comments you actually believe he meant it was just for the next year and then wasn't sure what was going to happen after that?

If you believe something- that is on you.

Assumptions are killers.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Do you actually believe what he said and what proceeded to happen was false? You’re being seriously disingenuous here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1