The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I think Sasson makes the big Canucks next year. And Hogs looks like he was a cut above everyone else on either team. 

Not a bad bet. Of the guys currently playing for Abby, several guys have a chance to be on the big team next year.

1. Hogz has to be favoured to make the Canucks out of camp next season. I put the odds at 75%

2. I think Martin will be the backup on the big team again. He struggled last season when he was asked to do too much but he has been great over the last month. 60%

3. Wolanin has a shot to make the team as maybe the 4th guy at LD. Maybe 50-50

4. Ditto for Juulsen at RD. Maybe 30% chance. (And he may be competing for a spot with Johanssen, who is with Abby but has not yet played).

5. Sasson is the dark horse. The Canucks probably want him to get in a full year in Abby playing big minutes and playing in all situations.  But he has looked great and I would not be shocked if he gets a look at 3C on the big team to start the season. Good skater, good at both ends of the ice, handles the center position  well, and seems to be a tough kid (at least he has absorbed some heavy hits and come right back). And he plays a high energy game. No "elite" skill but good at everything I put his chances at 25%.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Hogs is so hot right now... Hogs 

He has been so hot for a while now.

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Hoglander Silovs and Rathbone had a great game.  

So did Wolanin and Woo. Every time some opponent crossed the blue line and the camera followed the play into the zone, at the back edge of the screen Woo was smashin the crap out of some poor sap.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Not a bad bet. Of the guys currently playing for Abby, several guys have a chance to be on the big team next year.

1. Hogz has to be favoured to make the Canucks out of camp next season. I put the odds at 75% Studnicka or Kravtsov should be looking for a new address and DiGiuseppe or Beauvillier might be thinking about a higher numbered line to play on. Podkolzin is gonna be pushing hard, too. Could be a really interesting camp.

2. I think Martin will be the backup on the big team again. He struggled last season when he was asked to do too much but he has been great over the last month. 60% Yep. Don’t think the ‘Nucks are done with him yet. He appears to have his ‘cool’ back.

3. Wolanin has a shot to make the team as maybe the 4th guy at LD. Maybe 50-50  If OEL is still here and has learned how to pivot to the right again, Wolanin and Hirose will be fighting it out for 3LD, if OEL plays like he did this year, he’ll be watching from a higher location. 

4. Ditto for Juulsen at RD. Maybe 30% chance. (And he may be competing for a spot with Johanssen, who is with Abby but has not yet played). I’m not denying that Juulsen is a useful player, but so is Burroughs as he plays a more rambunctious game. Johansson is an unknown quantity on this continent, but there is another guy who plays a much more physical game and either side of the ice in Woo. He is going to push somebody real hard. Right now, in my humble opinion, he is outplaying Juulsen, in Abby. And Juulsen is playing real well.

5. Sasson is the dark horse. The Canucks probably want him to get in a full year in Abby playing big minutes and playing in all situations.  But he has looked great and I would not be shocked if he gets a look at 3C on the big team to start the season. Good skater, good at both ends of the ice, handles the center position  well, and seems to be a tough kid (at least he has absorbed some heavy hits and come right back). And he plays a high energy game. No "elite" skill but good at everything I put his chances at 25%.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Was at the game tonight a second straight game for me, and it was electric tonight. 

You could feel the energy, anxiety, nervousness in the first period, but the 1st goal from Rathbone really set the joint a blaze.

One thing I will say, Abbotsford did not back down when they were physically challenged and Bakersfield resorted to cheap antics throughout the game. Players like Raty, Klimovich, Nielsen, Karlsson were under the skin of the Condors all game long stirring the pot. Spicy game...crowd was great serenading the Condors at the empty net goal. Condors play dirty.

Yep. Sasson was getting hit a lot, but he kept getting up and making great plays. Karlsson is so good at protecting the puck long enough to make good plays, Klimovich plays up to his size, and Nielsen thinks he’s bigger than Klimovich - he is a joy to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

Is Hoglander our top prospect?

He skipped being a prospect initially. But he’s got more upside than anyone in our system.

I categorize him as an NHLr that needed to refine his game for a few months in the AHL.  He has 2 NHL seasons under his belt, same as Podkolzin whos in the same boat.  They've both graduated from prospects I think.  Rathbone in comparison is still a prospect because he hasn't played more than a handful of games. 

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I categorize him as an NHLr that needed to refine his game for a few months in the AHL.  He has 2 NHL seasons under his belt, same as Podkolzin whos in the same boat.  They've both graduated from prospects I think.  Rathbone in comparison is still a prospect because he hasn't played more than a handful of games. 

I like the way he plays that 2 D set on the pp. It is a work in progress, but it’s definitely improving. With the way that Hughes passes the puck, that might make an interesting wrinkle in Vancouver.

7 hours ago, nergish said:

Is Hoglander our top prospect?

He skipped being a prospect initially. But he’s got more upside than anyone in our system.

the nice thing is that we can actually ponder that because this organization is going back to overcooking its prospects and making the NHL roster a lot more challenging to graduate to. 

there are a lot of kids on this team that have a lot of promise and deserve to get a look, but allvin and tocchet aren't going to make it easy for them to get. no more development in the big leagues. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

the nice thing is that we can actually ponder that because this organization is going back to overcooking its prospects and making the NHL roster a lot more challenging to graduate to. 

there are a lot of kids on this team that have a lot of promise and deserve to get a look, but allvin and tocchet aren't going to make it easy for them to get. no more development in the big leagues. 

lol.  Wasn't there a story about Jim Benning hadn't even visited Utica for an entire season?  Drafting horse whisperer where really nobody outside of goalies developed on our farm during his entire time as GM (goalie development wasn't really an issue for the Canucks since going back to the Nonis days)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol.  Wasn't there a story about Jim Benning hadn't even visited Utica for an entire season?  Drafting horse whisperer where really nobody outside of goalies developed on our farm during his entire time as GM (goalie development wasn't really an issue for the Canucks since going back to the Nonis days)

yeah, I think there might have been too much bird dog in ol' benji. the guy is an amateur scout at heart -- he's 3rd generation for chrissakes -- and it's like any other obsessive collector or hobbyist, he's just hyper focused on that task. finding the kids was his passion; he was less interested in what happened afterwards. 

unfortunately for him and for us, running a hockey team isn't like collecting pokemon cards. 

13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Louder than Rogers Arena.

That's a bit of a myth....games I've gone to have been super loud. They mute it a bit on TV for sure.

I can tell you that for free...the cost of a ticket.

• There it is 1

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Was at the game tonight a second straight game for me, and it was electric tonight. 

You could feel the energy, anxiety, nervousness in the first period, but the 1st goal from Rathbone really set the joint a blaze.

One thing I will say, Abbotsford did not back down when they were physically challenged and Bakersfield resorted to cheap antics throughout the game. Players like Raty, Klimovich, Nielsen, Karlsson were under the skin of the Condors all game long stirring the pot. Spicy game...crowd was great serenading the Condors at the empty net goal. Condors play dirty.

That crowd looked awesome! 

If they get deeper than second round I think  i’m gonna try and come south for a game! But it’s a 15 hr drive for me so it’s gotta be worth it lol.

Cheers to you and all the fans who kept the barn bumping last night! 

Canucks playoffs hockey! I love it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1