The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Nazem Kadri

The praise for this deal on these boards is sickening. That puke will not even come close to matching last year’s numbers. They paid way too much for way too long. The only reason he went to Calgary because they were the only team willing to pay. 

Edited by bad alice french
  • Vintage 3

I dunno. I have only read the first 2 pages and the last 2 pages but I have a feeling this is the new Loui signing. It doesn't feel like he will reach what he did in his contract year. I think Col agrees and that is why they did not want him back especially at that term.

Gut-feeling.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Am I the only one that thinks Kadri is overrated? 

Looks slow, in 2 years he will look like Lucic out there 

He is overrated, he had a career year with basically the best linemates he ever had in his career and also the best team in the league. I dont think he will repeat the same points he did last season.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ice8eight said:

He is overrated, he had a career year with basically the best linemates he ever had in his career and also the best team in the league. I dont think he will repeat the same points he did last season.

Predominately played with Burakovsky and Nichushkin, as his wingers, at even strength. I wouldn’t exactly called them the best linemates he ever had. Especially when both players had career years playing with Kadri.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Fen1010 said:

Miller is seen as a winger, at least from what I have seen on other teams fan forums. So not as much value there.  I agree Miller will not bring much back in trade since the Nucks are backed into a corner, lose him for nothing as a free agent  if they don't sign him.

That cat is long out of the bag. NHL.com ranked the leagues top-20 centres recently (Link), and Miller was ranked 12th, just behind Point and Zibanejad. Both of those players signed 8-year deals last year, that start this season, for $9.5M and $8.5M respectively. Point is younger, but Zibanejad is the same age as Miller (same draft, Miller taken 9 spots later).

Bruce Boudreau just went on the record saying Miller is the team’s #1 C. He even mentioned that top-20 list, and said if it were top-25/30 then Canucks would be the only team with 3 guys on the list, with Horvat. 

Miller will be a year older when his next contract starts, but Zibanejad’s 8x$8.5M deal is likely the starting point for any negotiations. If it were 7x$8.5M it would mirror MZ’s exactly. Anybody thinking we’ll get him in the mid-7s is living in a fantasy. Kadri did, but he’s not as good as Miller (ranked 14th on same list), and he’s a year-and-a-half older than Miller will be when he’s UFA. Plus there are many rumours that he was asking for a lot more, but got left holding the bag in free agency, and had to take less than he wanted.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The Flames GM is the new Benning.  Screw the future, it’s all about right now.   Great for the GM right now, but 2 or 3 years from now the Flames are looking at 2 albatross contracts.  Like Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin of the Dallas Stars.  Oooooffff. :picard:

They have to go for it now, and they should. Flames were 6th in the league last year. Most of their roster are in their prime. But there’s not much coming in the system, so it’s all out nothing for the next few years.

Benning’s “screw the future” stance made no sense, because the team was at the bottom of the standings, and our 2 best players were in their early 20s. He should have been saying “screw now”, and building up depth/assets to be contending later.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Predominately played with Burakovsky and Nichushkin, as his wingers, at even strength. I wouldn’t exactly called them the best linemates he ever had. Especially when both players had career years playing with Kadri.

Playing behind a stacked 1st line means you have favorable matchups all season long. I doubt Kadri played very much against teams' best dmen. Now he has to be a 1C in Calgary, and somehow maintain that offensive production, knowing that roughly 33% of it came on the most talented and stacked PP unit in the NHL. Also, no more Makar-type player to help.

He's done. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Playing behind a stacked 1st line means you have favorable matchups all season long. I doubt Kadri played very much against teams' best dmen. Now he has to be a 1C in Calgary, and somehow maintain that offensive production, knowing that roughly 33% of it came on the most talented and stacked PP unit in the NHL. Also, no more Makar-type player to help.

He's done. 

Calgary's PP was just as efficient as Colorado's last season.  Huberdeau was tied 3rd in PP points with 13pts more than Gaudreau - he should be a decent replacement.

Would expect Kadri to be C2 playing behind Huberdeau-Lindholm. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bad alice french said:

This is yet another example of a supposed primetime free agent expecting to have teams lined up for his services then realizing he wasn’t as valuable as he thought himself to be. Let’s not overreact and realize that he turned this team down less than six months ago and now comes running to them when nobody else is going to pay. Sounds just like Johnny Gaudreau. Sounds just like John Klingberg. Most GM’s are staying away from these contracts at this age.That’s why we are holding off on Miller. I think these guys are gonna have to start realizing they’re not gonna have the choice of four or five teams but if they want the money they crave they’re going to have to take it from whatever team offers it.

I'd say it's another example of a UFA being overpaid with max term and another example that there will always be a team (or teams) willing to do that.  If Kadri is getting $7m, Miller is going to get at least $1.5 more..........and he'll get it

32 minutes ago, mll said:

Calgary's PP was just as efficient as Colorado's last season.  Huberdeau was tied 3rd in PP points with 13pts more than Gaudreau - he should be a decent replacement.

Would expect Kadri to be C2 playing behind Huberdeau-Lindholm. 

Exactly.  He played at a 100pt pace as 2C people.  How many guys in the 2C position have been capable of that across the entire NHL?

49 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I read some rumours about Lucic returning to Boston the other day, even the hockey news didn’t know how either team was going to manage the cap hit, maybe a buyout.

Buyout windows are closed league wide.  The next window opens up only in mid-June 2023.

22 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Kadri will be 32 years old by the start of this season, will be interested to see how long the contract is?

And Vintage right on cue with the term!

He will be pushing 40 at the end of that contract

Kadr 32 X 7 yrs @ 7 million will really hurt Calgary in last 4 years of contract.

Huberdeau 29  1 yr @ 5 million -- then 8 yrs @10.5 Million will also hurt Calgary on last 4 yrs of contract..

This Calgary team will be veery good for next 4 years then these two big signing will hurt there cap hit when these players slow down point wise..

23 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Just like that CGY effectively replaces the skill lost in Gaudreau with Huberdeau and the grit from Tkachuk for Kadri.

CGY looking very strong down the middle with Lindholm, Kadri, Backlund.

Yes Calgary is best team to beat in west.. Calgary also have best defence adding Weeger..

1. Calgary 2. Edmonton 3. Vancouver/ LA.Kings fighting for 3rd/ 4th --5th Vegas

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

That cat is long out of the bag. NHL.com ranked the leagues top-20 centres recently (Link), and Miller was ranked 12th, just behind Point and Zibanejad. Both of those players signed 8-year deals last year, that start this season, for $9.5M and $8.5M respectively. Point is younger, but Zibanejad is the same age as Miller (same draft, Miller taken 9 spots later).

Bruce Boudreau just went on the record saying Miller is the team’s #1 C. He even mentioned that top-20 list, and said if it were top-25/30 then Canucks would be the only team with 3 guys on the list, with Horvat. 

Miller will be a year older when his next contract starts, but Zibanejad’s 8x$8.5M deal is likely the starting point for any negotiations. If it were 7x$8.5M it would mirror MZ’s exactly. Anybody thinking we’ll get him in the mid-7s is living in a fantasy. Kadri did, but he’s not as good as Miller (ranked 14th on same list), and he’s a year-and-a-half older than Miller will be when he’s UFA. Plus there are many rumours that he was asking for a lot more, but got left holding the bag in free agency, and had to take less than he wanted.

Zibanejad and Hertl have always been Miller’s best comparables. That being said, with Kadri coming in lower than expected it's given people hope that Miller might take a discount. 

I think most people expected Kadri to sign for closer to 7.5M aav which would put Miller's contract expectations firmly into the 8 - 8.5M range (likely between Zibanejad's 8.5M or Hertl's 8.14M). However, since Kadri only signed for 7M it gives hope that maybe the market is shifting and Miller might be willing to take 7.75M x 7 years. Still doesn't mean it's likely, but it's more likely than it was a month ago.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Zibanejad and Hertl have always been Miller’s best comparables. That being said, with Kadri coming in lower than expected it's given people hope that Miller might take a discount. 

I think most people expected Kadri to sign for closer to 7.5M aav which would put Miller's contract expectations firmly into the 8 - 8.5M range (likely between Zibanejad's 8.5M or Hertl's 8.14M). However, since Kadri only signed for 7M it gives hope that maybe the market is shifting and Miller might be willing to take 7.75M x 7 years. Still doesn't mean it's likely, but it's more likely than it was a month ago.

I don't think kadri came in lower, he's a tier lower than Miller, at least, and he got max term, which has always been the issue with extending Miller 

Again, I think it's moot anyway as I believe Miller wants to return to the US unless Van is willing to significantly overpay 

Miller is not signing for $7.5m, no chance....... especially not in BC with it's high taxes

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Is it just me or does this contract structure have 'buyout' written all over it?

20mil in base salary owed in last 3 years when he'll be 34-36yo?  

Its either buyout, or another 1st to dump just like Monahan. 

• Cheers 1