The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

There was one of two ways this would go: we'd find a deal for him in a trade, hopefully getting good to better than good value, or we'd re-sign him to a longer term deal. Cap hit is reasonable, and no one is suggesting he'll play at this level for the duration, but the question now is if the window is big enough before he drops off, and if we can move his deal in the latter stages.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

We will lose Bo to free agency we don’t have cap for him and be Able upgrade our D

Our winger depth is deep. One of them will be moved. Garland likely, though I don’t want to see him go.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am surprised. I thought Miller would insist on more than 8 million per year and I though the Canucks would be unwilling to go up to 8. The numbers are fine for the first 3 or 4 years of the deal but will probably look bad after that. So the Canucks are serious about going trying to open a Cup contending window over the next few years,. 

This is better value than the Huberdeau, Kadri, or Gaudreau deals, but none of those deals will age well. 

Given the market this is "fair value", but it makes me nervous. 

Miller must really like Vancouver, because he probably is leaving money on the table. 

Now I am not so sure about Bo. I don't see a lot of cap room for him.

Well then there’s this and contracts like Myers, Dickinson, Poolman, Ferland, the Luongo penalty etc., all coming off the books between now and then also

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/bill-daly-believes-nhl-salary-cap-could-rise-significantly-after-2023-24-season/sn-amp/

• Cheers 3