The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

I think all this contender talk is kind of silly. Are we a contender ... no we're simply not. I think lots of people in the business will have us as a darkhorse though. If we win the Cup it would easily be the biggest surprise since Carolina, and probably even further back, maybe Montreal I don't know for sure.

Does it matter? No, not really because we certainly weren't going to be any more of a contender this year by trading Miller anyway. Can we make some noise in the playoffs and be an exciting team? Sure, but our defence is still horribly suspect, and our depth is certainly thin as well us untested, as is our backup goalie.

The true test will come next year or the year after with how they address the defence, and make the resulting changes to the forwards. Years 3, 4, and 5 are likely the peak years of our new window, but hell why not enjoy the ride now while we can? There is no turning back now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don't forget we can still trade Brock.   PPG and age wise he's virtually identical to Duchene was ... not saying he's the same player, but the team still has options both to free up cap and to get futures on defense.     Solid drafting still needs to could save us too.    In the end the Duchene trade also resulted in Makar.    Nuts right?   And definitely not the norm.    Then again neither was JB cap dump for OEL and Garland (at the cost of maybe Guenther).  

It's also off board (not normal), what Miller just did.    He for sure left money on the table for Horvat etc.    The pair of them signed for 15 or less is a team strength others don't have.   And hopefully we will see more buy in going forward.    Our RFA deals aren't the best as is....Miller at 5.2 showed these guys what real value looks like.   Last teams we've had a player take one for the team was Burrows and only for a short period of time.    The Sedins took up 22% of our cap hit, during a global financial crisis, and did less then Miller did the past 3 seasons.   

Yup. And I've said as much. I imagine now with Miller extended, one of Boeser/Garland is packaged with some of Hoglander/Rathbone at some point. 

But now we're likely moving multiple pieces, clearing less cap, getting older by aggregate etc. It makes things harder, like I said.

And yes, mercifully the deal is under market value. He's hoping he sets a trend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think all this contender talk is kind of silly. Are we a contender ... no we're simply not. I think lots of people in the business will have us as a darkhorse though. If we win the Cup it would easily be the biggest surprise since Carolina, and probably even further back, maybe Montreal I don't know for sure.

Does it matter? No, not really because we certainly weren't going to be any more of a contender this year by trading Miller anyway. Can we make some noise in the playoffs and be an exciting team? Sure, but our defence is still horribly suspect, and our depth is certainly thin as well us untested, as is our backup goalie.

The true test will come next year or the year after with how they address the defence, and make the resulting changes to the forwards. Years 3, 4, and 5 are likely the peak years of our new window, but hell why not enjoy the ride now while we can? There is no turning back now.

Except Carolina finished 3rd oa (1 pt out of 2nd) in reg season that year,  so I don't consider that a surprise. If we were a 3rd overall in regular season team I'd too consider us a 'contender'.  But the fact is, recently, we're a borderline wildcard team until we prove otherwise.   

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Here’s a suggestion: first have him define what main stream media includes, then provide examples from them to support your argument. Otherwise, every quote you provide will be labelled as not being mainstream.

Not worth the time. Some people believe what they want to believe, and refuse to accept that others are capable of predicting things they didn't expect.

6 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Still doesn't solve our issue of atrocious D.

Hughes and OEL simply aren't enough. Was hoping we could move Miller for a good D piece. Oh well.

This is why teams that have drafted and locked their young D men in have it made. And why we needed to draft good D men at the start of our “retool” in 2014.

The fact that Hughes and Rathbone are all we have to show from like 7 drafts is pathetic.

We’re not gonna get a good top 4 D unless we severely overpay in free agency or trade 1st round picks and/or good prospects.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. And I've said as much. I imagine now with Miller extended, one of Boeser/Garland is packaged with some of Hoglander/Rathbone at some point. 

But now we're likely moving multiple pieces, clearing less cap, getting older by aggregate etc. It makes things harder, like I said.

And yes, mercifully the deal is under market value. He's hoping he sets a trend.

Yup, now we're the ones making the typical Boeser/Hoglander/1st type trades. I would kind of expect our firsts are going to be on the table moving forward.

I'm thinking we target at least one RD through trade and probably the other in FA. It could require up to 12 mil. We'll have 6 coming from Myers contract plus 5 or 6 from the aforementioned trade, although I think a younger cost-controlled guy will be the #1 target. We need a bit of cap space to tweak the line-up and bolster the line-up at the TDL as well.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is why teams that have drafted and locked in their young D men in have it made. And why we needed to draft good D men at the start of our “retool” in 2014.

The fact that Hughes and Rathbone are all we have to show from like 7 drafts is pathetic.

We’re not gonna get a good top 4 D unless we severely overpay in free agency or trade 1st round picks and/or good prospects.

When you put it that way…that is really sad.

:(

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Still doesn't solve our issue of atrocious D.

Hughes and OEL simply aren't enough. Was hoping we could move Miller for a good D piece. Oh well.

The issue with trading Miller for a dman meant leaving a big hole that Miller would leave behind that we would need to fill again.

I agree that we could improve the defense, but I don't think Miller is the piece to move. There were offers I would've considered, but they never seemed like real offers ever presented.

Hopefully our wingers have a good season this year to up their trade value to be able to move for the dmen help.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

When you put it that way…that is really sad.

:(

Pretty sad yea.

Even when you look at the forwards, yes we got high end players but we really only have like 4 forwards to show from those same drafts. And they came from the 2015, 2017, and 2019 drafts.

Our drafting has not been good at all. And the only way to get back on track is to trade picks we can’t afford to trade or hope we hit in the more recent drafts and the players are ready sooner than later.

I mean we could trade for Chychrun but it would cost us a 1st round pick, probably Rathbone and another good young player. Does that really help us in the long run or are we just creating more holes in the future?

Edited by DeNiro

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

this interview still holds the key to how we'll do this year imo. Can the new assistant coaches help on this front? if JR is correct (and kind of good reason to think he is) then we can see improvement with better coaching. If we can get a small bump by Rathbone being ready and better controlled exits, then I can see us being much better in supporting Demko. 

“Defencemen are getting into trouble all the time. There’s puck pressure, and I’m not saying we have the best defence by no means in the league, but we have defencemen who are certainly capable of playing better if they had that structure.

“When they’re in trouble, it’s, ‘What am I supposed to do with the puck?’ They bang it off the boards, and they keep it in our zone, and bang it’s in our net. It’s something that’s very fixable, but something we have to do if we’re going to be a consistently good team and not have to rely on our goalie in most games.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-can-promising-jack-rathbone-cure-poor-structure-defensive-zone-breakouts

I'm really hoping Rathbone makes the team and shows everyone what he can do. But I have to keep telling myself to temper my expectations on him. Last year was great, but injury riddled for him. I want to see how well his awareness in the dzone has improved this off season. With time and space his vision is through the charts, but has a habit of getting over pressured if he gets caught in his own end. Where Hughes has no rattle to him under pressure at all. Really looking forward to him hitting the ice this year. Whether he is in the AHL or NHL I just hope he stays healthy and has a FULL season of development.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is why teams that have drafted and locked their young D men in have it made. And why we needed to draft good D men at the start of our “retool” in 2014. The fact that Hughes and Rathbone are all we have to show from like 7 drafts is pathetic.

That's exactly what I expect will happen. We need to do everything in our power to improve there. Unfortunately that means trading 1st rounders probably. One of these decades we just have to draft a couple RD's early. I would be totally fine using all of our picks on RD next year just because I'm frustrated lol. 

10 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Way too much negativity on what is a excellently put together deal for our best forward that leads by example including having a great consanguinity with all his team-mates, playing hard-nosed hockey and having the coach's trust in just about all situations. It's been acknowledged so;

buck-up-kyle-broflovski.gif

Wow !  Great use of this somewhat obscure word - well done.

• Cheers 2