The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Canucks vs/@ Flames (Split Squad) / Sunday, Sept. 25/22 / 4:00 & 5:00 pm

Rate this topic

-DLC-

I really like the JR comments. I think most of them were spot on.  Our small, slow team with what is probably our NHL 2nd ands 3rd lines got out played by the bigger hungrier mostly AHL team of CGY, at home, again, like they pretty much have done for the last 10 years, or at least that is what it feels like again. 

JR is a winner and winners hate to lose, even in preseason, that is the mindset this group needs IMO.  For all the talk of must win year, this is gonna be our time etc - those sure weren't the performances of a team that really believed or cared about those things. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 3

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

So many people have no clue how the pre-season works and are all worried about the first game. It's hilarious, a bit sad, and a little adorable all at the same time.

you have just described CDC on a daily basis.

I only see one guy riding Rathbone like a mule, otherwise its just  people giving their critiques

Ever heard the saying , "You never get a second chance to make a first impression"?

that is all we are really talking about after one split squad game

few on here are saying Calgary is winning the cup and the Canucks are missing the playoffs because of one game

Rutherford said Dekeyser looked good but needs to separate himself from the rest

Whoever it is that wins the #4 spot, I hope he plays better than Dekeyser did yesterday, even if its him

Personally, I liked what I saw from Petey, Pods and Silovs

not so much from Captain Ho

and am pretty neutral about the rest

I did not see the Calgary game, so its good to hear what others think

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Garland i'm not a big fan of.. he's too small and the way he likes to play along the board he's 1 miss timed yet from being on ltir. people keep praising him about his production last year.. the guy was having a pretty bad season up until april where he got on a streak with 16 points.. he was pretty much just doing 5-6 points per month up until april.. and was on pace to finish below boeser.. 1 good month doesnt make almost the entire season of mediocre production. 

Agree with you on Garland and yes, finishing just below Brock says it all.    Something tells me both those guys better pull their socks up this year or they're "outta here".  Especially BB and i just heard he's broken again. OMG, is he another Salo?

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I get that some vets don't give it their all during preseason and its really the prospects that do in order to make the team. 

Unfortunately, our prospect talent looks to be worse than Cgy and we took an L tonight. 

The problem I have is that good teams and good players practice and play hard whenever the step on the ice. They are always prepared to play and they never take losing as ok. 

We battled consistency issues for how long now? When reg season starts, we are a team that really can't afford any nights off. I don't know if players can just flip the switch when reg season starts. 

Last year we saw what a bad start could do to playoff chances. Bruce had the team playing like a top 10 team in the league and we still missed the playoffs. 

2 years ago, when we missed the playoffs, I thought ok, guys learned their lesson. We had a great playoffs in the bubble and guys weren't prepared this year. They'll train hard and turn heads next year. Then last year happened and terrible start under TG pretty much sunk our playoff chances in nov. 

Fast forward to this year under BB. We hear great things out of camp. Guys came in in great shape and team looks to be buzzing. 

We then lay a stinker last night. 

Man, I just want them to make the cuts asap and get the core group to start ramping it up so that we are flying on game 1.

Yes, I hate to say it but with those injuries to Brock Boeser (going thru surgery and due out until November) and Mikheyev, also out with unknown injuries and that's only after day 1, I'm starting to get nervous and see what looks to be another season start missing key players out of commission. That worries me, as another bad start will be our death-nail agian, as we are essentially a middle of the pack team at best and can't afford key players out.  Fingers crossed we don't suffer more pre-season injuries.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I really like the JR comments. I think most of them were spot on.  Our small, slow team with what is probably our NHL 2nd ands 3rd lines got out played by the bigger hungrier mostly AHL team of CGY, at home, again, like they pretty much have done for the last 10 years, or at least that is what it feels like again. 

JR is a winner and winners hate to lose, even in preseason, that is the mindset this group needs IMO.  For all the talk of must win year, this is gonna be our time etc - those sure weren't the performances of a team that really believed or cared about those things. 

I'm glad JR thinks like some of us here. Funny that no one has yet to call him chicken little and that he should relax because its preseason

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well hopefully not even a concussion, just his bell rung a bit and like you said team being cautious. 

I played hockey and got hit more than once that I had a headache for a cpl of hours but was fine after that..  I sure hope it's that I've had 2 bad concussions and 2 medium, and a few light ones and countless headache for a cpl hours after head shots in my 5 years of ice hockey in the winter and full gear football for 2 so having more than a few headache grade hits to the noggin is normal and no long-term issues, omg I sure hope it's that and he's back right away.. 

In the 4-Rinks Beer league you'd guzzle down a beer at the bench, go for a p1ss and you'd be back on the ice after a head shot.   There was no such think as 'Concussion protocol" back in the day.  You'd have to break a leg to pull out of game.     

1 hour ago, lmm said:

hey, you used "literally" twice 

and they were both literally unnecessary 

the first was literally wrong

and the second was literally redundant

but just to play along, who literally tried to take a penalty?

I think that's pretty harsh.  He was literally telling us his take on the game.

All jokes aside, I knew what he was saying. Ppl post with grammatical and spelling issues all the time.  It has become the norm. Time for you to just accept it.

I was floored when a colleague showed me grammarly.  I "literally" said, "Why on earth would someone use that?"

Anyway, I thought it was strange of you to pick that post out of 65 pages. 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not sure what you mean or expect by this statement. They don't need to say anything about the quality of the game itself. What are you looking for in game one of the (split squad) pre-season containing 30% NHL players, with one team dressing only one impact forward, and all AHL goalies, with no reward for winning?

A good game. :frantic: Pre-season games are always crap and this is the one before the first round of cuts. Did people just start watching hockey yesterday?

it's the gameday thread, of course we're going to talk about the game(s).  IN this case, they were poor games, so of courde we're going to discuss their poor play.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, lmm said:

you have just described CDC on a daily basis.

I only see one guy riding Rathbone like a mule, otherwise its just  people giving their critiques

Ever heard the saying , "You never get a second chance to make a first impression"?

that is all we are really talking about after one split squad game

few on here are saying Calgary is winning the cup and the Canucks are missing the playoffs because of one game

Rutherford said Dekeyser looked good but needs to separate himself from the rest

Whoever it is that wins the #4 spot, I hope he plays better than Dekeyser did yesterday, even if its him

Personally, I liked what I saw from Petey, Pods and Silovs

not so much from Captain Ho

and am pretty neutral about the rest

I did not see the Calgary game, so its good to hear what others think

I agree with your assessment of the game. Excited to see how the team progresses through camp. I wonder if someone like Miller had played yesterday, would we have seen a more inspired effort from the rest of the team? That being said, who knows? A vet like Miller might have gone through the motions yesterday as well...

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's the gameday thread, of course we're going to talk about the game(s).  IN this case, they were poor games, so of courde we're going to discuss their poor play.

I dont usually agree with you but I dont understand some of the reactions here.

Why can't we say that none of the bubble players stepped up and grabbed the bull by the horns yesterday?  Because it's preseason? What are we allowed to discuss then? 

How great Podz looked? LOL that would be a 3 page thread. 

Podz looked great yesterday. He came to camp looking like he's ready to take on a bigger role. /thread

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah I think there's no need for concern - We were missing two of our top-4 defensemen, and the reality is we only have 2 top-4 defensemen, meaning we were playing entirely with bottom pairing guys. 

Agreed - I liked DeKeyser, he definitely didn't look that slow or that hes missed a step. 

I just read JR's interview from a few days back, and it looks like he considers Poolman to be part of our starting lineup. So this is basically where we're at:

OEL-Hughes
? - Myers
? - Poolman

Its DeKeyser, Rathbone, Dermott, Kalynuk in contention for those two spots I guess.. 

With a bunch of Schenn thrown in there. It's pretty dicey unfortunately. Hopefully Quinn and OEL can play 30 minutes a game. ;) I'm really hoping Dekeyser can plant himself on the second line. If not ... :sadno:

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I might not go so far as to say he had a “great game,” but agree with a lot of what you’re saying and I think that that much of the criticism in this thread is overly negative. I think Rathbone had a mixed game, plenty of good, but definitely some bad too. He’s capable of better. But it was preseason game 1 and a split squad and he played something like 25+ minutes. He showed some rust (he freely admitted as much) and made some mistakes. It happens. And he certainly wasn’t the only one (and if I wanted to be negative, he wouldn’t be the first Canuck in my crosshairs, but I’m not looking for scapegoats). Jack will settle down and I expect he’ll get better as the games progress. 

Was at the game yesterday and this is bang on accurate. There were times he looked comfortable and confident in breakouts, seeing the ice well. Other times he got caught behind the play, made little mistakes, and wasn't decisive enough. And it seemed like he was always on the ice ... had a lot of minutes. 

But everyone looked off and rusty. It will get better.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

With a bunch of Schenn thrown in there. It's pretty dicey unfortunately. Hopefully Quinn and OEL can play 30 minutes a game. ;) I'm really hoping Dekeyser can plant himself on the second line. If not ... :sadno:

I think once Rathbone settles down a bit he'll be a lot better. He's a good skater and has a decent shot, he just needs time to adjust and calm down to make better decisions, at least that's my take. It was just split squad game 1, lets not panic on him just yet.

DD looked OK but I don't see him as a guarantee. 

58 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Dermott could make a play for it too - he made terrific defensive reads in the brief window we saw him last year, and skates pretty well. We are definitely loaded up on bottom pairing options though haha

36 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think once Rathbone settles down a bit he'll be a lot better. He's a good skater and has a decent shot, he just needs time to adjust and calm down to make better decisions, at least that's my take. It was just split squad game 1, lets not panic on him just yet.

DD looked OK but I don't see him as a guarantee. 

I don't see DD making this team.

Rathbone played poorly, imo, but I certainly saw enough glimpses of good stuff to give me hope that he's still going to be an NHL regular at some point.  I'm not sure he's at that point now though.

I thought Keeper looked good and is probably the dark horse to be in the lineup and will probably platoon with Burroughs in the 6/7 spots.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Dermott could make a play for it too - he made terrific defensive reads in the brief window we saw him last year, and skates pretty well. We are definitely loaded up on bottom pairing options though haha

I think Dermott is, more or less, a lock to be on the NHL roster

• Cheers 1